Old 03-22-2006, 05:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Stephanie,
You might want to look at this:
http://reviews.cnet.com/ZoneAlarm_In...4.html?tag=toc

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:00 PM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeHarbor
I've used Norton A/V for years, but this renewal period I'm going to look around for something less childlike, idiotic, and bothersome.
Well, I'll warn you right now, McAfee does the exact same things. One of the final straws for me was mcafee constantly warning me about finding viruses in my temp file directory, because I get emails with viruses - doesn't everybody? I know not to open them, so they sit in the temp directory until it gets cleaned out. So every day, every email I received with a virus, it would warn me again and pressure me to do a scan. Now that seems like something they should understand happens, and NOT annoy me by warning me 50 times a day. And as for turning off that warning - good luck.

So much for eTrust, I went there and the webpage crashed because I don't use IE. I'll keep looking.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:14 PM   #17
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
We run Symantec AntiVirus Corperate Edition at work and one of my jobs is to keep our 500+ workstations free of viruses. I recently upgraded everyone to version 10 which does spyware and adware protection as well as antivirus. I like the product and it is very easy to manage. The virus definitions are updated daily and every machine does a full scan every night. The new feature for spyware works great. In the two weeks it has been running it has blocked or removed over 15k items from the workstations.

2air,
I have not seen the error you are seeing and I connect to the forum with various versions of Symantec (8, 9 & 10) Corporate Edition. The message you see points to a Microsoft security patch (MS05-036). Have you applied the patch that matches your operating system? That would be my first step. You can also go to the symantec website and see if they have any patches for the version of AV you are running.

Richard

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:43 PM   #18
SqurlGurl

1977 31' Excella 500
Bozman , Maryland
I have been using NOD32 by Eset software with fantastic results. It's simply the best AV out there and is not a resource hog or bloatware like McAfee and Norton. I install it on all my clients' systems and it runs so unobtrusively that I trust it on the PC's of even novice users. It is also very robust and full-featured so I use it on my small network setups too. Leo Laporte loves it and so do I.
www.eset.com

-Tracey
PC Geek with a taste for Airstreams

(\__/) (((( ))))
/O O ./ ((( ))))
{O__, \ (( )))
/ . . ) \ )))))
|-| '-' \ (()
.( _( )_.'
'---.~_ _

squrlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:13 PM   #19
_

. , .
hi stef', azfly', safeharbor, guy99 and others

thanks for the dialog.....

now this is useful....

part of the reason i didn't just pm a mod or andyr on this....
was to check with others using a/v, firewalls or symantec....

guy99....
'hijackthis' looks interesting....i'll read a bit on the product...the reviews on cnet suggest lots of false positive...but it looks very popular.

stef'.....
no dissrespect, but i'd like an answer from someone working with the server.....the symantec web site says 'there is no known false positive' for this issue....i wouldn't expect the forum server to be bugged either or have any issues.....but no server is fool proof.....i was the 2nd person to sign up for the 'enhanched accounts' and send money.....the reward was having my ip address added to the "blocked list".....andy was sure this couldn't happen, but after a week of gyrations on both ends.....turned out, that is exactly what happened....as a result of an "issue" on the server. it is helpful to read (so far) no one else has had this issue....but no one else had the enhanced account issue......because my canary died first.....

safeharbor......
i've not had any issues using symantec since, well, trying to use their shell for win3.1....maybe i don't do much adventuresome surfing...and do have a physical firewall as well as s/w...i do see the 'pop up window' telling me when issues are detected....but i've never noticed any performance issues....as az' has offered...daily definition updates and the new spyware easy setting to tweak....i like norton....maybe you have settings that need to be reviewed/revised? their email scan is quick and easy...from my usage anyway....i've used symatec....like az reports...and from my university server days...that is what the techs used....on 5000 users...or so...

azflycaster.....
it's reasuring to note you've not seen this message....yes i've got the ms patch...since i do automatic updates....and this issue became known last fall....so while the patch is in place....symatec still detects the threat and takes action...right?

just to be clear...this 'detection' happened while on the forum....but after i clicked on links in posts to other sites.....specifically the save wally dot org link...and the decals/pdf document there....so while norton reported it coming from the forums....it was while connected to another site through the forums...is that any clearer? what norton does in in that situation....is lock out the site/ip address for a defined time...in this case 30 minutes....

az'.....have you visited the save wally site and opened anything ?

as i understand this color buffer issue....it has to do with potential bugs imbedded in images/photos and the like...

stef......
bareback?......i don't know......so much to catch these days....and speaking of trojans........ the t/horses are becoming a huge issue....not as many as viruses and popups...but way harder to clean up...

again.....

thank you kindly for this last wave of posts....i'm not having any problems today....but i am not going back to the site in question either....

cheers
2air'
Old 03-22-2006, 06:23 PM   #20
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Bang Zoom

Hi,
I confused, I can understand being threatened by Ralph and even Alice or Trixy, but Norton always seemed kind of harmless.

And as to taking Norton's advice, I don't think so.

Maybe it's just me.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:23 PM   #21
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
2air,
Yes I have, it was a slow day at work today and I was pushing out Microsoft Critical Updates to 500 workstations and there is alot of wait and see time involved. I think I read everything on the site. BTW, what version of AV areyou running?

Richard

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:27 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Cary , North Carolina
Don't worry, I'll be around. By the way, I am pretty much of a Windows Geek. I know my way around a Mac, and can do enough with it to network it to a server. But I am a Windows MCSE, MCT (Trainer) and Netware ECNE. Either I am remarkably hard skinned or completely unobservant because I didn't notice anyone trying to quiet me. I completely welcome being challenged, and am never convinced that I am always right… but I try. :-)
Old 03-22-2006, 07:14 PM   #23
_

. , .
artlink......
you've been borgartin' the walbernizer again.....pass it around.....
as norton said......"hellooooooooooo ball"

az'....
ok good you've checked it out.....i'm feelin betta'

a/v is 11.0.16.2 and security is 8.0.5.14a with live updates enabled...

i think i've got another year before re-uping cash....

macozil......
in no way was i trying to quiet you either....

and thick skin is a virtue......aluminum or not.....

we need more microsoft enabled folks here.....

and those willing to handle the challenge or this exchange...

so welcome 2 the forums....

cheers
2air'
Old 03-22-2006, 07:21 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Cary , North Carolina
No problem here 2air, never thought you were. My Ex-wife always said I never noticed when she was mad... that made me mad... so now she is my Ex. So I wonder sometimes how sensitive I am.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:40 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Air,
A lot of what hijackthis show is perfectly fine. If you are not sure you can usually google the item and find out.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:39 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Western , Oregon
Norton Systemworks

I'm having some problems similar to 2air......I got the warning from Norton when I was perusing the March photos thread.....which I thought was interesting and couldn't go anywhere on the forums after the warning. I had to reboot the computer to get back on. I also visited the savewally website just before it happened. I'm running 2006 version of Norton SystemWorks and haven't had any problems before this. I am still having problems with ASforums and have to reboot to reaccess this site to start over. I am not having problems with any other sites that I access.......only ASforums! So is it just you and I......2air that are having problems.....or is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

2005 28' CCD

2013 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4, 6.5' bed, 3.5L EcoBoost, 3.73 rear axle, Max Tow Pkg
Equalizer hitch
Honda 3000 genset
WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:48 AM   #27
SqurlGurl

1977 31' Excella 500
Bozman , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99
Air,
A lot of what hijackthis show is perfectly fine. If you are not sure you can usually google the item and find out.
You have to be very careful using Hijack This. Removing somethng that you are unsure of can cripple some programs, your internet access, or even Widows.It is best to save your scan HJT log and post it to a forum like spywareinfo.com. If you are feeling adventurous then proceed carefull by removing items that you check out using castlecops.com and processlibrary.com (DLL search here). Google searching for stuff that is not on ether site is helpful too.

HJT is a tool to use once you already have an infection. It does not run in real time and protect you from anything, so it's really only damage control. I am hoping that PC users will evolve into paranoid creatures and use the multitude of (mostly free) spyware and antivirus protection tools out there. Spybot Search and Destroy, AdAware, Microsoft Defender, SpywareBlaster, AVG Free, AntiVir, Zone Alarm and Sygate (free firewalls...let you know what's "phoning home"). Ditch Internet Explorer and use Mozilla, turn off the preview pane in Outlook Express, and the list goes on.In my business, while I prefer network setups and PC builds, I mostly remove spyware and virus infections from (sometime savvy, but mostly clueless) clients PC's. Even though I send the clean system back to them in a relative state of lock-down, sometimes they manage to still get re-infected. No protection is foolproof and the enemy is always one step ahead of the users. The best protection against an infected PC is to be a cautious user. Think before you click.

It is my mission to teach people this stuff so we can all be safer on the internet!

-Tracey

(\__/) (((( ))))
/O O ./ ((( ))))
{O__, \ (( )))
/ . . ) \ )))))
|-| '-' \ (()
.( _( )_.'
'---.~_ _

squrlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:51 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Western , Oregon
After I made my previous post to this thread, I went to the March Photo thread and pics in threads 67, 68, 69, 70, 74, 75, 76 do not show up on my screen.....while all the other pics show up. Also after I visited this thread, I couldn't reaccess the portal and had to reboot the computer to get back onto the forums to post this thread. What's happening? It's very annoying and I've never had this problem! I'm not getting any warnings....just can't navigate the forums! Help!

2005 28' CCD

2013 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4, 6.5' bed, 3.5L EcoBoost, 3.73 rear axle, Max Tow Pkg
Equalizer hitch
Honda 3000 genset
WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote