Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Fustrated With Classifieds

I am in the market for a new, to us, Airstream. This will be our fourth and probably the last one we will purchase. I purchased the other three over the internet long distance so this is not a new task for me. What is new this time is the flippant attitude many of the sellers have. If there is a description it is likely to be short with little information. Pictures are not given and when I request them I often do not receive them. Some of the things I been told are: “the trailer is stored too far away and it is snowing” or “I can’t figure out how to use the download feature.” My favorite was being told by the seller he would only text a photo and then texted me a one inch out of focus shot. How can any buyer be expected to put down good money, thousands of dollars, with no more than a texted shot? Have Airstreams become so desirable that the sellers don’t need to provide information on what they are selling? Then there are the dealers posing as the owner. Please if you are a dealer fess up, it’s going to come out sooner or later. What do you have to hide? I purchased our last trailer from a consignment dealer and had a wonderful experience.
Maybe it is time that guidelines are posted in the classifieds; simple instructions as to how the item needs to be described. The guidelines need to include, how to down load photos and, how to correct the sideways photos. Then suggest what needs to be included in the photos. Why feature the toilet and have no shot of the bed? Be ready to sell before you place the ad. Wait until the snow stops and drive to your storage, take good pictures, do a video and write a full description.
I am going to spend more money for our next Airstream than I did for my first house. I want to make an informed decision and only the sellers can help me make that decision.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The contents of the add are a function of one of 2 things. The sellers ability to deal with the internet or their motivation to sell.

Yes 90% of the adds are effected by one or the other of these limitations. The storage or snow excuse are motivational. The slanted or limited pictures are ability to use the internet. Today any motivated sell would post a link to a walk-around video.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Agree!

I look at all of the classified adds of vintage trailers. Not because we're in the market but for inspiration of interiors.

I often cringe at the pictures and listings. I wonder if they are really expecting to sell their units.

Airstreams are not easy to photograph with their shiney exteriors and dark interiors. You can ask for help or try different angles or times of days for better light exposure.

You don't have to stage a trailer. If nothing else you can certainly take out the garbage and tidy up a bit. I don't think your unmade beds, empty containers, and piles of junk are doing you any favors.

Even a project trailer can be clean and presentable.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote