Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 11:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Frustration Due To Time Out Just Makes Me Want To.....

Anyone else here need more time for editing a post???

With reposting, rethinking, rereading, research, and rescratching whatever it is I need to scratch the 15 minute timeout is just not working for me.

I really need more time to reply to technical questions - so many times I have edited a message and lost a good deal of typing and work due to the 15 minute edit timeout - the timeout poofs a lot of work into useless electrons that not even poor old dead Mr. Scott on StarTrek could reassemble with a transporter.

I could sure use a half hour of edit time prior to timing out....don't even talk to me about Spell Check.

Anyone else out there need to lengthen the edit time?

Are there any other options?

Link Edit Time to Warning Bars?

Anyone?...Moderators?.....Anyone?....

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I agree. Thirty minutes would be more than enough. Sometimes I'm in the middle of looking something up and the time just flies.

Maybe it's something you get with the premium service, like with shinier rivets and a bigger faceshot.

I don't think linking it to the warning bars would be very useful.

And some of us are just slow think
Old 03-14-2006, 12:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Just so you..

I feel your fustration as well..
Why not have the edit fuction STAY there no matter what, as long as "your" the person who made the original post..You should have the time and right to change your input based upon newer facts..??????
It's NOT THAT HARD TO DO..
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 03-14-2006, 12:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Increase editing window to 1 hour !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
Anyone else here need more time for editing a post??? I could sure use a half hour of edit time prior to timing out....don't even talk to me about Spell Check. Anyone else out there need to lengthen the edit time?
I third that motion! Because most of my posts tend to be factual or technical as opposed to social in nature, and my eye-checking has a faulty spelling module, I think 30 minutes is the absolute minimum time for editing a post. It should be a hour for us careful but slow tortise types. The 15 minutes is obviously a hare brained idea.

An hour editing window will also make me look sharper as I finish the 15th post-posting revision. Quite a few of my carefully thought out responses have been lost to the netherworld by the stupid, STUPID -- DID I SAY STUPID??!! -- 15 minute editing time limit. Chronologically, at least, I'm an adult, and I would like to get treated as one by this Forum. As I get even older I need additional time for tasks that take cognition.

This issue really gets me in a lather. Those who abuse the 1 hour editing privilege can be dealt with harshly by the Mod Squad. Hey, 65GT, how 'bout creating some neat More Editing Time! avatars. Take it to the screeens, I say!! Power to the Posters!! ... Deep breath ... deep breath ... sigh ... aahhhh.....
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Old 03-14-2006, 12:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I will "fourth" the motion to increase editing time.

Tom
Old 03-14-2006, 01:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I will find out if this is something that can be modified to be tied into either the "Warn Meter" or "upgraded accounts". As many of us forum old-timers can recall, the time limit was introduced after a rash of posters who would stir-the-pot to get a response out of another member then go in and remove their offensive post later. Only to leave the following readers to question the replies & resposes...

But you are right, we are all adults and should be able to play nice together...I'm just not sure it can be set for only a few deserving members.

I'll post a follow up later ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 03-14-2006, 07:59 PM   #7
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
The edit expiration window has been changed to 30 minutes. We'll try it and see how it goes....

However - when you are composing a post and take a long time or you walk away from your keyboard... you may be logged off because of your Internet connection settings or by the Forums server. I'm not sure how often the server updates connections - probably about every hour. My suggestion is that if you are making a complex post especially with tech info, that you compose offline in a word processing format and then cut and paste. I've found the handiest editor is my mail program....open a new message and start typing.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 03-14-2006, 08:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Copy/Paste

Janet......it would also be handy to have the ability to copy the text if we get interrupted posting a reply or whatever....then we could go back later and paste it back into a new reply if we get bumped off. As I see now there are no options to do that.
Thanks!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
Old 03-14-2006, 08:15 PM   #9
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Just highlight the text using your mouse and click Control (key) and c at the same time. Your text is now copied and can be pasted somewhere else.

To paste right click your mouse and select paste or click control (key) and v at the same time.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 03-14-2006, 08:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
It works.....thanks! I guess I'm used to seeing the copy/paste commands in the right click menu initially......but looks like we have to do those "control" copy/paste to accomplish it! Did anyone else know this?? I learned something new today on the forums!!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
Closed Thread