Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Freeze the navigation tabs

Members,

I'd like to suggest freezing the navigation tabs or the nav window that's right above the 3 ads at the top of the page. I am often in a post way down the page, when I want to go back to the portal or user CP and have to drag the whole durn page down in order to get to the navigation buttons/tabs.

Am I missing some alternate method of navigating, or does this pester some of you, too?

Zep
Old 11-02-2006, 01:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I had been wondering the same thing as I'm always at the bottom of a long thread and want to go back to portal, user CP or wish there was a forum tab.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
just hit Control+Home or Control+End (to the right on your keyboard) and you're instantly at the top or bottom of the page.

In addition, the Back button at the top of your screen will take you to the last page you were viewing, such as the portal. My mouse also has a button that accomplishes this.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
just hit Control+Home or Control+End (to the right on your keyboard) and you're instantly at the top or bottom of the page.

In addition, the Back button at the top of your screen will take you to the last page you were viewing, such as the portal. My mouse also has a button that accomplishes this.
Ohhhhhhhh, cool, thank you. Oops, I didn't post this question - just been trying for months to figure out how to do this.....
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 04:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
OK, I've got a roller on the mouse that I rarely use (I mean, a roller that I rarely use on my mouse;;;or my mouse has a roller on it that I rarely use...), but it does work. If I do the cntl+home trick, I have to take my hand off the mouse, use the keyboard, then go mouse click on either User CP or Portal. Too many moves. I just want to scoot the mouse up to the bar and click...bingo!

Same thing with these posts. I've got a pretty big screen, but the submit button is almost always off the bottom of the window. It would be great if it was a vertical bar to the left (or right) of the text box.

I've got a million of them, if I just stop and think about it....

Zep
Old 11-02-2006, 04:17 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Zep, why not just click the little "home" button at the bottom of the page? It takes you back to the portal page.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Zep, why not just click the little "home" button at the bottom of the page? It takes you back to the portal page.
well, how about that?! Another piece of operator info I missed in the first 500 posts!

But as cool as it is, I'm never looking that low in the thread page. Even when you're in the last post, you don't see the bottom of the page, so it's still necessary to either roll you roller or go over and grab the vertical slider and move the page until you can see the top or bottom. And maybe I don't want to go to the Portal. Maybe it's the User CP I'm headed for, which is often the case.

When you've got lingering war wounds* (there I was, 500 kts above the banks of the Mekong...) and on top of that your thumb is in serious decline from too much mousing on the Forums, you want all the help you can get!

Next?

Zep

* (you were thinking bullets? much more likely Jack Black back at the club...)
Old 11-02-2006, 05:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
ahhhh, i just realized something. I was thinking "What is WRONG with these people it's so easy" ... EXCEPT: Years ago, I taught myself to use the mouse left-handed because it's more efficient to leave your right hand free for the numeral & directional keypads. so i never even have to look down at the keyboard for any reason. I can page up or down & scroll with the mouse at the same time so really whip around pages.

you should try it. it felt awkward for a few days but now it's so second nature that i'd forgotten about it. the more keyboard work you can transfer to your left hand the more it eases the load on your right shoulder & neck too, plus you have a writing surface immediately adjacent rather than having to lean over your mousepad to find free space.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
... Years ago, I taught myself to use the mouse left-handed because it's more efficient to leave your right hand free for the numeral & directional keypads. ....
you should try it. it felt awkward for a few days but now it's so second nature that i'd forgotten about it. the more keyboard work you can transfer to your left hand the more it eases the load on your right shoulder & neck too, plus you have a writing surface immediately adjacent rather than having to lean over your mousepad to find free space.
You right handers are soooo smug! Did you kow that telelphone booths are right handed, as if anyone has seen one in the last three or four years?

As a pilot, I have enjoyed the advantage of being left handed so I could always fly with my flying hand (yes, the one opposite my writing hand) on the stick and still write. But more to the point, I use the mouse with both hands equally well. I never thought of using the direction keys, mostly because I've been on a laptop for over 6 years and the keyboard just isn't laid out like a desktop, with all the nice little groups of function and direction keys. You often have to depress the 'function' key in concert with the direction key you want, like 'home' and 'end.'

Zep
never satisfied