Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 08:33 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Forums Statistics

I was surfing around these forums and came across the statistics button.

It says we are 4244 in number.
2122 active and 2122 in-active. I wonder if 50% is good or only half good

Is that a co-incidence or is it a glitch like the Dec.31,1969 birthday thing?
How is this stat figured?
What defines active?

Another stat says activity level = 500.00
What does that represent?

Will the software spit out how many members have never posted?
How many have posted once?
How many less than 20 times? etc. etc.?

Another curiosity to me was a number of PMs = 15,871.
If they are private how would that be generated?
How private are they?

Can moderators or the owner view other members Private Messages under any circumstances?
If so they would be semi-private messages I guess??

Are e-mails sent to other members thru the forum viewable by the staff?

Oh and what can Super Moderators do that Plain Old Moderators can not do?
Old 02-27-2004, 09:06 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Jaco,

There are many members that sign up, but never post. These would be non-active. I do find it strange that it is exactly 50%.

A total on the Pm's is just a way to show activity.

Moderators:

A moderator of a section of the forum can modify threads, or posts ( this will leave a marker in the post showing it was modified) or delete posts that do not comply with the forum policies. They are limited to the sections of the forum they moderate.

A Super Moderator can do all of the above, but can do it anywhere on the forum.

I do not know the answers to the other questions.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 02-27-2004, 09:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
I was wondering about the statistics page where it lists who has posted for this month; if that was a running tally (say for the last 30 days or so) or if the list actually changed every month.

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Old 02-27-2004, 10:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Will the software spit out how many members have never posted?
How many have posted once?
How many less than 20 times? etc. etc.?
If you click on the "Members" button you can get an idea of how many people have posted....check out the "Advanced Search" tab. If you put in "1" in the "posted less than" field at the bottom you will see that 18 full pages of 100 + 1 partial page come up with 0 posts. If you put in "20" you will see that 34 full pages of 100 = 1 partial page come up with less than 20 posts, etc. etc.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 02-27-2004, 10:58 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Shari I did just that and had fun (for a while) playing statistician.

Here is what I found.
There are only 3940 members listed there. Not 4244.

1825 have never posted that = 46% (totally inactive posters)
794 have posted only one time= 20%

66.47% of members posted less than 2 times.

679 members have posted more than 10 times = 17%

642 have posted more than once but less than 10 = 16%

So 83% of membership 0-9 posts.
17% of membership all the rest of the posts.

I could correlate that to number of posts maybe but I'm bored with being a statistician for awhile anyway.

But I am going to venture a guess only that less than 10% of the members (<329) do more than 90% of the posting here. I think that is near the national average of work:use in most volunteer ventures. If my cloudy memory serves me correctly. or put another way 10% of the members usually do 90% of the work in most vounteer associations. Not that posting should be absolutely compared with work. And not that that is necessarily a bad thing.

Still curious why the membership totals are off 300 members?
Old 02-27-2004, 11:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
There are only 3940 members listed there. Not 4244.
Maybe it counts the Floridians twice

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 02-28-2004, 07:10 AM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Hey!!!!!!!!

:
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 02-28-2004, 08:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Have you seen the new FLA state Quarter?

Just take a nickel from your pocket, flip it over and re-count it 5 times!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Old 02-28-2004, 06:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Re: Forums Statistics

Quote:
Originally posted by jaco
Another curiosity to me was a number of PMs = 15,871.
If they are private how would that be generated?
How private are they?

Are e-mails sent to other members thru the forum viewable by the staff?

Someone is paying for the software, and associated cost of running this forum. Off hand, I would say the Webmaster can look at whatever activity is occurring on this forum since he either owns the forum, or has been entrusted with it's well being. On that assumption, he can also delegate this authority to other other people, probably the moderators.

I would prefer it this way if it is not the way it already is.

Unmoderated newsgroups were a wonderful medium before the spambots and mentally challenged hit them. This forum works great, and is head and shoulders above just about everything I have seen. I believe this is due to the Webmaster, and moderators working hard to ensure pertinent content in both postings and probably PMs.

In short, one should believe that all activity is monitored. If nothing else, the thought will help ensure the goals of the forum will be met.

Just my two cents,
Tom

Oh, and just in case an all-mighty person reads this, I would'nt mind a speel checker
Old 02-28-2004, 07:15 PM   #10
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Re: Re: Forums Statistics

Quote:
Originally posted by tcwilliams

Oh, and just in case an all-mighty person reads this, I would'nt mind a speel checker
Tom,

I use this Iespell

It loads into your exploder tool bar and is available in almost all explorer windows. I even use it to check my Ebay listings before I post. You can add words to you own dictionary and it does not consume bandwidth. Not too bad for a free app.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 02-28-2004, 07:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
You can add words to you own dictionary
It checks your spelling, but grammar is still up to you!
Old 02-29-2004, 12:50 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Re: Re: Forums Statistics

Quote:
Originally posted by tcwilliams

Off hand, I would say the Webmaster can look at whatever activity is occurring on this forum since he either owns the forum, or has been entrusted with it's well being.

I would prefer it this way if it is not the way it already is.

Unmoderated newsgroups were a wonderful medium before the spambots and mentally challenged hit them. This forum works great, and is head and shoulders above just about everything I have seen. I believe this is due to the Webmaster, and moderators working hard to ensure pertinent content in both postings and probably PMs.

In short, one should believe that all activity is monitored. If nothing else, the thought will help ensure the goals of the forum will be met.
Just my two cents,
Tom

Tom, obviously you are very accomodating. To each his own.
I for one hope bandwidth remains so plentiful that everyone's opinions and various wild guesses as well as cute little Florida humors and pet obits, wedding announcements, recipes etc. continue to permeate our community.
I work very hard to harvest the best fruit off these vines, and I like to think I occasionally plant a good seed or two as well. I have benefited from some of your posts recently Tom. I also attempt humor at times and have been known to opine freely. Some how I get the feeling you may think my inquiry was inappropriate or meant to be threatning to this community. You would be wrong! "I won't bite a hand that feeds me, but I will analize what I'm fed before I swallow".

Actually I never gave it any thought til I read the statistic page. That page must have been put there for our use. I first went to the FAQ page and found no answer there.
My questions were then posed for serious answers. Seemed pretty simple to me. Ask and find out. No sinister motives.
This forum uses the term private and I think that should mean what it says, or should if we are all going to be up front with one another.
If the staff (owner and mods) want to read our so called private messages, and assuming the software gives them that option, let them have at it. There is not nor will not be anything in mine that should shock them. But let us know if there is not real privacy so we can choose to use PM & e-mails accordingly.

If this is a community as the staff so often refers to it , then we are citizens here and we should be shown the decency and common courtesy to at least have questions about services and features that we are encouraged (by staff) to use to be fully and honestly answered.

I have no reason to suspect evesdropping but that should'nt mean I can not inquire whether it is possible.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:05 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Thanks for the answers. and Amen.

Do you know what the activity level stat represents?
Old 03-26-2004, 04:56 PM   #14
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Activity represents the total number of members that have posted at least once. Not a lot of value in that stat. I'll look for some meaningful stats based on time (i.e. last month, quarter, year, etc.).

Andy
Old 03-26-2004, 06:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Number One!!!

Without even viewing the stat page,I would venture to guess that Eric has had the most posts in the shortest amount of time...by a long shot.

Keep em coming or going Eric!

See you guys in June.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally posted by Organic Hosting
Activity represents the total number of members that have posted at least once. Not a lot of value in that stat. I'll look for some meaningful stats based on time (i.e. last month, quarter, year, etc.).
I recommend you do not waste your time. As I indicated earlier, this is either your forum, or you have been entrusted with its care. It does not matter which.

Everyone should assume any traffic in this venue will, or can be monitored. Whether or not this is the actual case is immaterial. I have not enjoyed the avenue of spam-free communication this forum provides in quite some time, and prefer it the way it is in spite of the fact that others have issues.

In my opinion, the moderators have demonstrated exceptional patience in dealing with non-constructive viewpoints contrary to the best operation of this forum. These hard-working individuals have spared me from reading a bunch of ...stuff that is not pertinent to MY intended goal, which is to share information about the restoration, and proper operation of an Airstream.

My two cents,
Tom C. Williams
Huntsville, AL
Closed Thread