Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2008, 08:01 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Thumbs down Forum Portal Drop Downs Blocked by Banner Ad

I have noticed today (12-23-08) that the drop downs on our main (entry) portal interface are partially blocked by the banner ads.

This is the rectangular ad space that has been much complained about in at least 3 or 4 (redundant) threads in recent weeks. I am NOT here complaining about the content of said ad space. (I pay it almost no attention nor mind).

The drop downs under the "search" and the "quick links" headers are for some reason BEHIND the ad. This is in my opinion UNACCEPTABLE. We have enough problems with the "search" function without this insult.

My apologies if there is another thread on this already.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I have noticed this in the past. It seems to be either self limiting, or the admins catch it before long. I'm not currently having the problem...
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i mentioned this a while back with no change. the in house ads are fine but the others are not. it wasn't so bad when there were more in house ads but the waving arms guy needs to go.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
i mentioned this a while back with no change. the in house ads are fine but the others are not. it wasn't so bad when there were more in house ads but the waving arms guy needs to go.
Yes, and if need be, I'll chip in my part to see that he does go.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
The ad blocking is a Flash issue that is hard to address in an immediate sense. I usually find switching to another forum page switches the ad and gives me access to our blue menu bar. Wavy-guy is declining but not altogether gone. It's been beaten to death in other threads. Doing so here will just get it merged with http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...guy-46845.html.

"He's not the Jedi you want..."

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Dammit this is not I repeat NOT a thread about the ad or it's hand waving spokesman.
There are 4 other silly threads about that.
Why do members not read what they are posting under???
Yeah I have prob hijacked a thread or two in my time, but I do try to at least know what the thread is about and bring it back to the subject at hand.

Why hasn't Janet who has apparently become the Geekiest of our mods and the most often to defend (and/or explain) the forum quirks or Andy the Owner and a product of the IT industry (I think) addressed this drop down cover-up problem.

Let me repeat that I do not give a tinkers damn about the ad. Nor it's content, nor it's annoyance level.
I just expect the drop downs to drop down in FRONT of the damn ad so I can fully utilize the drop downs. Is that not common sense? Isn't protection of the functions of the forum and its software the real duty of the Admin and the Mods.?
Surely they have not given up the authority of that mission and allowed advertisers to trump the mechanics of the forums have they? Surely not...?
Old 12-23-2008, 05:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
There is a blue rectangle that goes across the page below the 2 bars that begin with "portal" at the top of the home page. It is there when I use my Compuserve ISP browser and does interfere with drop downs. If I switch to Explorer it becomes a banner ad and does not cause any interference with drop downs.

I have had some recent problems with the search drop down though. When I type in a subject in the seach line, the whole drop down dissapears before I can type anything. If I switch to advanced search it works ok.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:58 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Interesting Lumatic, I did not know that different browsers would display different portals (webpage appearance) .
I just went up there to the top of this page and there is a Airstream of Arkansas ad in the banner.
When the drop downs appear, they lay on TOP of it, as it should be. Of course this is the thread interface (page) not the portal entry interface (opening page).
I hope this means that at least if I get off the opening portal page that I can use the drop downs as they were intended.

cheers
dd
Old 12-23-2008, 07:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Dammit this is not I repeat NOT a thread about the ad or it's hand waving spokesman.
There are 4 other silly threads about that.
Why do members not read what they are posting under???
At least one of us did...
AIR #15800

2000 Safari SS 25'
Old 12-23-2008, 08:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Ads blocking menus

Fyrzowt & dd. Let's pare the issue down to the bare minimum. This is an unpredictable but known issue only with some Flash ads. We will work to correct it as effectively as we can ... more some times, less on others. I recall a similar issue with a Chrysler ad in 2007 perhaps. I have posted a strategy to still use Search or Quick Links unimpeded after switching to a different forums page.

Push in on one part of the intertubes and it squeezes out somewhere else. The software interactions are unpredictable but it is remarkable how stable the AIR Forums environment has become. This site is member driven and we otherwise are given a free hand by the site owner to run our own show. Thanks to all for their understanding, patience, fortitude .. but most of all sharing your Airstream experiences.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #11
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
Why hasn't Janet who has apparently become the Geekiest of our mods and the most often to defend (and/or explain) the forum quirks or Andy the Owner and a product of the IT industry (I think) addressed this drop down cover-up problem.
Geeky? Oh geeze, now that's funny

Here's what I know about the ad covering the drop down menus... We have had this issue with some flash ads for quite some time. As pointed out, it's less of an issue using Internet Explorer. Andy is aware of the issue and is trying to find a solution.

Until then here are my suggestions:
1. If you need to search and that ad (yes, we all know the one you mean) is showing, reload the page and hope for a different ad.
2. Load an ad blocker
3 (saving the best for last) If you ask for a wide screen monitor from Santa you will be amazed to learn that the page shows a lot wider, but the ad remains the same size. It will be narrow (relative to the rest of the page) and not cover up the search link.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Janet and Bob,(and other Mods)
I know you often have a thankless job, but thanks!
AIR #15800

2000 Safari SS 25'
Old 12-24-2008, 12:41 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I don't find those pop-down problems with the Safari Web Browser...you can get it free on Apple's web site.

The best part about Safari I've found is that it's easy to increase the size of the text in all the forum's posts...one quick click on the large 'A' in the header does the job!

Safari seems to load new forum pages quicker than Explorer, as well...check it out...
Old 12-24-2008, 06:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Apply the HOSTS file fix and the ads are gone. The drop downs then become a non-issue.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:46 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
I use Firefox and had experienced the drop down problem with a certain ad. Blocking the offender solved the drop down problem.

Jim
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:15 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL

i am thrilled to report that i'm no longer having this problem with the overlay.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #17
AnEyeForTexas

1962 26' Overlander
Lockhart , Texas
You can get rid of all of the ads by switching to Firefox and installing Super AdBlock. The Flash stuff is unruly and it may be impossible to control its position relative to other layers. You can gain some control over it by installing FlashBlock, though you may not be able to reposition it vis-a-vis other material on the page.
gnored is offline   Reply With Quote