Old 03-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #1

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
"first unread" taking me about 1 screen too low

Using the Chrome browser on both OSX and Win7, when I click on a thread I've already started reading (or to which I am subscribed) it's now taking me to about one "screen page" lower than the first unread entry. By screen page I mean the distance the screen moves when I hit the "page down" key.

This is very noticeable when there's only 1 new post, because I end up centered below the "quick reply" window.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
The pagination scheme is set to display the last post you read at the very top of the screen, if you are viewing newest posts first. This means that when a thread loads that has only one post it's likely the reply box will be centered unless it's a loooong post. Is this what's happening to you?

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #3

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
No, it's when there's only one NEW post (of many.) And interestingly, when I came back to this thread from clicking the link on the Portal page, it didn't put my post on the screen (the last one I read) but did in fact have the first NEW post on the top of the screen, which seems normal. I'm not sure if this problem has been intermittent today, I've seen it a lot but I'm not sure how many times it's done it right today.

Basically, if there's just one new post in a many-post thread, I don't see any posts at all, I see the bottom 2/3 or so of the Quick Reply box and then the boilerplate that comes after that.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
Old 03-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #4

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
OK, testing carefully over 4 or 5 threads, it seems to behave correctly if I carefully click the red icon with a downward-pointing chevron for "go to first new post" but previously it's done the same thing if I click on the thread title, and now it doesn't seem to consistently do that when I click on the thread title.

By the way, if there are multiple new posts, I end up looking at the page a post or two down from the first new post, so I have to scroll back up and find the first one I don't remember reading.

I'll check my settings.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I notice the same behavior when clicking on the orange icon with the downward-pointing chevron from User CP. Behaved the same on both Windows and Mac using the latest version of Firefox.

Interestingly, the chevron icons (whatever their color) are gone completely from threads I have viewed to the last post on the Portal page. I tried to check this behavior in User CP, but no threads I'm subscribed to have any new posts right now.

Anyway, things have been screwy (that's a technical term) today.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post

Anyway, things have been screwy (that's a technical term) today.
I attribute this to a serious lack of camping

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I attribute this to a serious lack of camping
Dang!

Busted.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #8

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Another data point... I cleared all the AIRForums cookies on one of my machines and logged in again, and the behavior is the same. Clicking the chevron icon that should take me to the "first unread" takes me several inches lower in the thread and I have to scroll back up to find the first unread post.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Another data point... I cleared all the AIRForums cookies on one of my machines and logged in again, and the behavior is the same. Clicking the chevron icon that should take me to the "first unread" takes me several inches lower in the thread and I have to scroll back up to find the first unread post.
Interesting. I'm getting "normal" behavior today. Didn't do anything on my part.

Firefox on Win7.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #10

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
As the page is loading, it's focused on the first-unread, then as the page finishes loading, it snaps down lower on the page. Odd stuff. So far I've only used Chrome while it's been misbehaving, as Chrome is my preferred browser. I'll try with other browsers if I get the chance, but now that it's after 5 the first order of business is fetching Il Carriaggio from storage and getting ready to join the Tin Can Tourists this weekend.