Old 07-17-2009, 08:53 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Bethany , Illinois
Welcome to the forums. I was down in KY last week camping. I learned one thing about Kentucky is that they don't have very wide roads and not many are straight and/or level. So, you might practice towing it by taking it out where there are some hills but not alot of traffic to get the handle on how to and when to down shift your Jeep, when you are going up and down hills. It might take a little getting used to regarding the shifting. And, I wouldn't use the cruise control on hills or really ever when you are towing your AS. That's more of an opinion(the 'ever' part), but many on this website share it.

Good luck and congrats on your purchase.

airstream66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:33 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Lexington , Kentucky
great news - we made it home :-) and the towing was just fine . . . even in the mountains of Virginia and West Virginia !!!!
We took great notes of how to unhook the hitch and weight distribution, etc. . . . however, we couldn't get the "hood" to come off the ball . . . .
So, our neighbors in our exclusive neighborhood will be thrilled to see our beautiful silver baby in front of our house until Monday when the RV dealership opens :-)
We are IN LOVE with our airstream and can't wait to redecorate. She is in great shape but we are dying to have her mirror polished.

Thanks again for all of your advice . . . we thought of it often.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:07 AM   #17
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
By getting the hood off.. do you mean actually unhooking from the trailer? If so, chock the wheels of the trailer so it cant move, lift the locking lever and lock it up, crank the front of the trailer up with the stand, ball "should" release from hitch.. if it does not, or if you can't get the lock lever to come up and lock, put your truck in neutral, or move it (the truck) slightly front to back to release the tension. Go talk to anyone in your neighborhood with a TT, they have most undoubtedly run into this before, and almost every one will want to help you and see your baby.. it's an AS thing benefit.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:22 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If you have a weight distributing hitch, the bars or whatever creates the weight distributing/sway control has to be removed first or there will be too much tension and removing the tongue from the ball would be just about impossible. I don't know about other WD hitches, but the Equalizer has to be removed first or I don't think it could be removed.

The only other thing I can think of, is that the locking lever is jammed. On ours the hitch head (the thing with the ball on it) has to be lowered until it is almost as far down as it goes (it rotates downward) and only then can the lever be opened (lifted upward), and then using the tongue jack, raised the tongue off the ball. Once tension is relieved, the lever has to be pushed forward before it can be lifted. If the lever is jammed, however, start with WD 40. If that doesn't work, then get a flashlight, a screwdriver and something comfy to lay on while looking up and trying to figure out what is wrong. Probing around with the screwdriver while trying to unlock the lever may result is a good outcome. Make sure the jack is stable so the tongue doesn't fall on you.

The whole process of unhitching or hitching means raising and lowering the tongue several times to accommodate the various things that have to be done. Barb and I have done this many times, but we still have to think through it because of all the raising and lowering.

Gene
Old 07-19-2009, 04:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Really, really keep an eye in your mirrors for the other idiots on the road...
On my first trip ever on the way back to California from my trip to Montana last year, alone with my two Labs, I was in Salt Lake City, right after making my turn onto the onramp for the freeway doing about 10 MPH since I had just come up a big hill to get there, this guy in a truck came flying down the onramp at the rear of me (he had been coming up the hill from the other direction and the two lanes of the onramp merge into one where I am already merging, decides to pass me and get on the freeway first.
Wham goes my left front tow mirror and smash goes the whole left side front fender as he bounces off of me with his whole right side fender. We pull over, a friend of his following him in another truck pulls over and this guy jumps out saying he saw the whole thing and it was MY fault. The highway patrol shows up, walks right past me, is terribly rude and tells me to go sit in my car while he goes off to have a long chat and laugh with the guys in front. Finally comes back, shakes his head and says my story doesn't match, the other guy has an "objective witness," makes me sit in my car in 100 degree heat for over an hour with my dogs, and at last lets us go. Guess what? The insurance adjuster takes the side of the "Good ole boys" story via the HP report and I get the blame for the accident....
The only good news is that he didn't hit the trailer.
Be careful, be safe!
Carol
Old 07-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I have a 71 GT that is still undergoing it's rebirth

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f416...nte-26902.html

Here's a shot at Taylor Park Colorado
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boondocking 049.jpgR.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	84117  
Old 07-19-2009, 07:55 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Redmond , Oregon
Congrats all around! Welcome to the forum, the Airstream and your first towing of it.

You have had some real sound advise thus far, the only thing I could add is to increase your following distances from what you would normally use in an automobile. Other than that, we are all anxiously awaiting photo's of your new baby.

Again, congrats and welcome!

'82 K20 Suburban 4spd
BMW K100RS, KTM 620SC
K7KIT
AIR #251
igor is offline   Reply With Quote