Old 11-22-2017, 10:29 AM   #1

2014 27' FB International
boerne , Texas
Question Extended warranty

buying 2014 airstream and dealer (camper clinic buda,tx)has suggested NAENWAN extended warranty....input needed as my first rv

Old 11-22-2017, 10:37 AM   #2
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I personally wouldn't. It depends on your tolerance for things that break, and the terms of the warranty, how much it costs, deductible, etc.

I got the Good Sam's warranty and it has a $200 deductible. The 3-4 things that have broken have all been less than $200. So for me, it was wasted.

Had something MAJOR broken, I would be singing another tune. But now I self insure. If something breaks, I'll fix it or I'll pay to have it fixed.

As with any insurance, whether it is "worth" it is entirely up to you. Can you pay for a major repair should one be required? If the answer is no, and the plan would cover it, then it would be a good idea to get it. But think about it this way. Those plans turn a profit for the people who sell them. Otherwise, they would not sell them. So more people pay more into them than they take out. Consider that.

2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
useless for 99% Of consumers. Virtually 100% profit for seller. Put the money you would spend on warranty in the bank instead.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:56 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho View Post
buying 2014 airstream and dealer (camper clinic buda,tx)has suggested NAENWAN extended warranty....input needed as my first rv
I don't buy an extended warranty for anything, ever since I made the mistake of buying one for my 2003 Dodge Durango, only to find out that the dealer I bought the vehicle and the warranty from didn't honor third-party extended warranties in the first place. Not even the ones they sold. But that dealer is out of business now, so I guess there is justice in the world.

And since then I've never had anything go wrong— on anything— that an extended warranty would have covered. So I've saved a bundle by not buying the warranties.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I was in shopping for bits and pieces at one of the local RV dealers. As I was wandering around, one of the repair guys was on the phone. Being the uncouth type that I am , I listened to bits and pieces as I shopped.

Your trailer needs ...xxxx .... phoned your warranty outfit and it's denied. It will cost you $x,xxx.

Your trailer needs ... yyyy.... phoned your warranty outfit and it's denied. It will cost you $yyy.yy.

That went on and on for more than a dozen of item. If *any* of them were accepted by the warranty outfit, I missed that part of the call. None of what I heard was all that unusual in terms of RV issues. They just were never items that the warranty covered.

Save your money, unless the warranty is from Airstream (= it's a brand new trailer), it's not worth it. You can read *lots* of articles on *lots* of things that get warranties sold for them. The only ones that even come even close to getting a thumbs up are manufacturer backed warranties.

Bob
Old 11-22-2017, 12:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
I Don't Recommend It

We previously purchased a new Airstream from Camper Clinic II and were told we had the "Lifetime Warranty" ... which turns out that they required:

1. The customer to bring the Airstream in for an annual "checkup" for the "Lifetime Warranty" to be honored ... and the checkup was several hundred $$$ (more service revenue for them obviously).
2. Anything that was "covered" under the "Lifetime Warranty" was subject to the components' manufacturer approving the repair, etc.
3. Way too many unknowns and way too many "conditions" of the warranty.

We declined the "Lifetime Warranty" .....
Old 11-22-2017, 01:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The ONLY thing I've ever bought an extended warranty on, on the advice of a trusted service manager, was a Toyota-branded extended warranty on a Prius. This was in 2012, and the replacement battery pack was half the cost of the car at the time.

Since then, he no longer recommends it because he has at least one one that is past 500,000 mile with just normal maintenance. And the price of the traction battery has come down a LOT.

For an Airstream--if its a new one, you have two years to find all the problems. If its use, save your money for maintenance, as pointed out by others. Extended warranties are a profit center for the dealer and do nothing for you....
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho View Post
Extended warranties are useless.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:39 PM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
First, did you search on extended warranty? There are several threads with information. See below.

Just put the trailer back in storage after picking it up from the dealer. Extended warranty paid for a clearance light replacement, a plumbing leak repair, and a USB port replacement. They also worked with us to verify that our entertainment system was operating correctly. The cost to us was the $50 deductable. We consider the warranty an insurance policy and hope to never collect big.

If you have DIY skills give it a miss. If not, investigate the dealer and make sure they will be on your side if you have an extended warranty.

Might not be a good idea to finance an extended warranty. Paying for it once is enough. So do your research and make the best decision for you and your RV lifestyle. Pat

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f351...ty-138470.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ms-127716.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...am-102021.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295...-a-147276.html