Old 04-05-2005, 12:11 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Another Idea

What about allowing editing until a reply is posted below a message, thus if no one replies for days (or weeks or months) than you have days (or weeks or months) to edit, revise, add to, or delete your post. I suppose you'd still have to have at least a 15 minute minimum in case someone posted a reply immediately. And by this I mean a reply to any message in the message string, not necessarily to your post.

Anyway, it was just a thought that I'd think wouldn't be too hard to implement, but what do I know? I certainly don't know what code it take to keep this site running. Maybe this would be harder than I think, or maybe of little value because it is the "popular" strings that are getting edited.

Anyway, it was just a thought . . .

And I agree that we need to keep at least the 15 minute rule - despite multiple proof reads I always find something to correct just after I hit the "Submit Reply" button. (Like I had to do on this message.)

WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 07:08 AM   #30
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
But because it's a typed forum as opposed to live conversation, should we behave differently?
No, not at all, but in the current format, editing does have it's place as it does have it's downside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
True about the kid acting up in school, but is he not dealt with using the same rules that already apply to the entire student body? If he's the only one running afoul of the rules, typically he'll be the only one suffering the consequences of their actions. In sort of the same vein, say you have a high school with an open campus lunch policy which applies to all students. Kids drive out for lunch, stay out to long and then race back to school for fear of being late to class. There's an accident. Then a few weeks later, another. Maybe someone gets hurt, maybe they get killed. The school looks at this and knows they've clearly got a problem. What's more, the solution is a hugely unpopular one - abolish the open campus lunch policy. Maybe 6 kids were in these accidents - and there are 500 students (it's a small school). By making this policy change, the school administration is not out to punish the other 494 students who had nothing whatsoever to do with those accidents.
Yes the first part is true, but that is not the case here....a few folks have severely abused the edit feature and they were not given the proper corrective action alone, the group was given it for their sins. The second part is an extremist viewpoint. I mean clearly it's hard to compare this given example to that of editing posts after 15 minutes. I guess I would compare the editing post senario to that of a student or large group of students drinking or smoking on campus, a half classroom or multiple classrooms of kids cheating on a test or any other of the 99.9% day to day issues that happen in an educational setting. You don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 07:52 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
I see where you're coming from, Eric. I guess in the end, though we all will view it based on how it may or may not affect us. Since the decision to implement this change hasn't and won't affect the way that I post to the forum I'm less inclined to think of it as "one or two bad apples spoiling the whole bunch", and more inclined to believe that it was done in the spirit of maintaining the integrity and continuity of the threads.

It's all good, though.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 10:03 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
All posting is relative. If you don't have any relatives, they can't give you any problems. If you don't post, editing is no problem.

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 10:53 AM   #33
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Smile Can't change photos

I guess I am the only one that noticed we are no longer allowed to remove our photos from the photo section. I wanted to delete a photo that was too dark, and cannot! So, when our photo area gets full, no more new pictures.
So, with that in mind, I am going to be VERY selective in what photos get put into my album, if any.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:01 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
I guess I am the only one that noticed we are no longer allowed to remove our photos from the photo section. I wanted to delete a photo that was too dark, and cannot! So, when our photo area gets full, no more new pictures.
So, with that in mind, I am going to be VERY selective in what photos get put into my album, if any.
Actually, I noticed it too while adding some recently, which is a bummer since there are some duplicates in my photo album that I'd like to get out of there...

Edit: actually, under Image Tools you can elect to replace an image with another, so in essence you can replace pics you don't want with pics you do.

Edit (again): well it SAYS you can, but then when I try to replace it gives me one of these..

coriolis1, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Maybe it's related to the issues Janet is experiencing in the next post...

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 11:07 AM   #35
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
I'll e-mail Organic Hosting about photo issues, in the meantime, if you need photos deleted you can PM a moderator or the help desk with the photo numbers to have them deleted.

I think there are still some bugs with the photo section, I can't put up any new ones....

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 01:04 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Actually, the not being able to remove photos has become an issue for my participation here. While I would like to support the forums--and don't mind not being able to edit postings after 15 minutes, I do want control over my own photos.

For me the concerns are pretty complicated. There's a privacy concern. There's also an intellectual property issue, too. I consider pictures very personal--and in posting, I intended the act as a loan, but not a gift. I don't recall agreeing to give up my control over them (though gosh, maybe it was somewhere in tiny print)--and I don't like having to go through a third party to remove them.

So, while I have posted three photos here, I won't post any more unless I know that I can remove them myself.

Meanwhile, I'd appreciate it if a moderator could kindly remove them as well.

Thank you,

Mary
Old 04-05-2005, 01:28 PM   #37
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
...I won't post any more unless I know that I can remove them myself.
Hi Mary, If you like to post photos like I do I would hate to see you stop. You can still put pictures in your posts via an out side hosting service. I use this free one here and for my web site.

http://www.flickr.com/

Of course they give you complete control over your photos and it's easy too (once you get the hang of it)

Basically you just post the photos URL into the body of your post and it shows up...which is just how any web page works.

And if you want to edit the photo...haha...you still can

Good luck,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:27 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
sounds like you found a security breech ;)

What if the link is to a picture or file of text. hmmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfixx
Hi Mary, If you like to post photos like I do I would hate to see you stop. You can still put pictures in your posts via an out side hosting service. I use this free one here and for my web site.

http://www.flickr.com/

Of course they give you complete control over your photos and it's easy too (once you get the hang of it)

Basically you just post the photos URL into the body of your post and it shows up...which is just how any web page works.

And if you want to edit the photo...haha...you still can

Good luck,

Steve

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 03:30 PM   #39
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
I have been trying to start a thread with two small photo attachments, but when I click submit, I get a message saying that the message I am trying to post is a duplicate. But it does not show up in tthe forums.

Maybe I'll wait a bit to see what's up.

Jonathan
Old 04-05-2005, 03:37 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I added to the whos driving post

and it disappeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
I have been trying to start a thread with two small photo attachments, but when I click submit, I get a message saying that the message I am trying to post is a duplicate. But it does not show up in tthe forums.

Maybe I'll wait a bit to see what's up.

Jonathan

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 03:42 PM   #41
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
What if the link is to a picture or file of text. hmmmm...
Ha ha, good one.

I realize that usually I just upload the photos to the message, and forget about it. It is my gift to the collective knowlege database

Here's my off site photo test...

Steve

Added:

HTML is turned off in this forum but you may add images by putting HTML bookends on the photos location:

Example Usage [img]http://www.airforums.com/forums//ugala/forums/images/statusicon/forum_new.gif [(fwrd slash)img]

Test post of a PDF made in MS Word:

Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 06:21 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Well, it looks like this is working out ok. I've just had problems on another listserve where someone ended up "cyber stalking" me, so it gets me pretty darn scared of privacy issues. A crazy racist guy started calling my phone and just about scared me witless. Hence the fairly thin disguise of the crazy avatar (fwiw, I"m not blond and I've never tried playing the harp) and my nom de plum--Firefly! On top of that, I have sold a few photos here and there, so that's another thing that gets my concern running.

I do feel torn about pictures. I intend to take pictures at the CBR, but I feel that my first loyalty for that event is to WDCU, so I"ll probably post to their Yahoo group. But it is nice to be able to link in. Actually, I"ve done that before, with the silly blue beret smiley. Never really "thunk" that through, though it is a bit of a redtape, when the photo thing here is so easy. Of course, I could link in for folks here, but I think they'd have to sign up for the Yahoo group, too. Hmm, maybe I could lure a few more folks into WDCU, with its bargain basement $1 membership fee...

Thank you for helping, mods,

Mary