Old 04-04-2005, 09:45 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That's cool if you have a PC...but if you have a Mac, Linux or Unix system, I suppose you'll have to use your fav word processor, spell check, post and pray you never want to edit without asking for permission.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:50 PM   #16
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Eric,

Note I am wearing my flame retardant suit..........

If the OS and browsers that you mention were as feature packed as everyone keeps touting, why do they not have a built in spell checker????

I am not a fan of Bill, but I make my living selling his stuff.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dee
Are there any examples of this wild editing ruining a thread?
Yes - Inland RV going back and changing several posts that were hours (days?) old from whatever had been stated originally to "good deal" made for a pretty strange looking thread afterwards. A thread that started off about someone finding some great deals online and passing it on to others ended up looking like everyone yelling at a guy saying "good deal" over and over and over again. I'm sure this has been a problem in the past, but the mods could cite more examples - they've been here longer than I have.

Quote:
And if a poster decides to restate something that was negative and make it positive, is this a problem?
If you're physically in a room full of people and you say something there that you come to regret later, can you go back and erase everyone's mind who overheard you and put in a better choice of words? None of us can, and for that matter, if we have the ability to choose our words more carefully when we're all physically standing in a room, why do some folks change this behavior when we're names on a computer screen? Furthermore, if a post sits and sits for hours and hours, plenty of people are going to read it before it's changed, so changing it so long after the fact seems a pointless exercise, as was Inland RV's going in and changing all of his responses after everyone had already read them. Who are they really changing it for, themselves? The jig was up long ago. Simply stated, if you consider what you write or say at the outset and how it will be received, you'll find far less of a need to backpedal, rewrite and possibly eat some crow on down the line.

When I say "you", I don't actually mean YOU, either.

Quote:
Maybe the community could have solved the problem on our own without having to strip editing priviledges from everyone. Maybe not. But shouldn't stripping the edit button be a last resort?
Maybe it was the last resort? Maybe it's a temporary curb? Only the moderators know for certain, and who's to say even then that they know themselves? There's a reason why there are millions of small towns and villages across this great country of ours with no law enforcement, save for the members of the community themselves and the county sheriff. Sometimes the collective common sense of a community is all the law it needs. Sometimes policing ourselves is all the police we need. I know RV.net essentially imploded a year or two back because things apparently moved beyond reasonability. I understand it was a real slash 'n burn affair, too. I cannot conceive of this forum ever getting close to chaos like that. But the antidote against it lies not with the moderators, but with you and me. It falls to us as members of this forum to make sure the vast majority of their job as volunteers is as dull and uneventful as possible.

I love this forum as you do, there's no doubt about that!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:56 PM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know there are a lot of things we Mac folk have been missing out on...this is just another item to add to the list.

How about you turn my edit privs back until it happens.

I make my living dealing with Steve's gear and like the fact that I don't have to worry (for now) like my Wintel counterparts do.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 04-04-2005, 10:02 PM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Dave I think you are comparing issues that are not comparable. I mean a real live conversation vs a typed forum....two totally different beasts. You are right, you can't take back what you say, but there is more input and conversation than there is on a forum. Tone, inflection, etc are totally missing here outside of a few smilies. Bottom line if that's the case, then Inland should have gotten the time out and any other person that has recently broken the rules.

You know it's funny, when a kid acts up in school, we deal with the kid, not the entire grade level because of one or a handful of kids.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I'm not worried about spelling although I do need to do that often

I tried to edit my subject line for the thread later thinking it was not clear and generated no interest and few responses. 'Course it wasn't so interesting anyway But I wanted to clarify it. I also thought it was a nice way to add a picture or even remove a picture or replace it. I guess I felt like a poster should be the owner and have control over his or her own posting, the right to edit, retract, change. Seems like selective use of locking and editing, pms, and worst case temporary banning could contol the masses. If it was severe to affect everyone's privileges it might have been severe enough to take some sort of action. Haven't had the entire class punished in a long time...

Words from administrator or moderator affixed at the top of the forum pages as to changes would be appropriate and appreciated.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:09 PM   #21
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
free spell checker

I mentioned this on another thread some time ago, but there is a free online spell checker which unlike iespell, requires no download and works with virtually any web browser, not just IE. You simply type or copy your text into the box, make any corrections, then copy and paste it back to your application.
http://www.thesolutioncafe.com/publi...l-checker.html

I really don't think poor spelling has much to do with the 15 minute editing time limit. I have responded to several threads where the thread starter later edited the initial post and caused my posts to look out of whack. It is disconcerting. If Silvertwinky was having a bad day and decided to change the topic of this thread to "The Adventures of Winnie The Pooh", we would all be disjointed. Now he can't.

May you camp where wind wonít hit you, where snakes wonít bite and bears wonít git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:10 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Petaluma , California
Ach! Nein!

Duz yew meen i ar knot alowd ttttttttew korrekt mein werdz?
The End is near,i feear...............

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results".
Sir Winston Churchill
Luminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:13 PM   #23
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Well I hope to find a spell check solution soon.

Unfortunately an unlimited edit period is a an exploit that can be used for malicious intent. Just like a firewall, we have to close as many doors as possible to be safe. One person editing posts can cause hours of work for our moderators/admins. Please try to understand how small that change is and the positive aspects of it.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:33 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

I like the idea of a 15 minute time limit. I sometimes post and then after rereading my post I correct typos or add more info. immediately.

I have a hard time understanding posts that are edited days after posting and therefore don't make any sense.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:44 PM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Aw hell, what do they say in Psychology 101....fear, anger then acceptance are the stages....I think I've just hit acceptance.*

*As I put this through Word for a look see before sending this post out to the world.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:03 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Dave I think you are comparing issues that are not comparable. I mean a real live conversation vs a typed forum....two totally different beasts. You are right, you can't take back what you say, but there is more input and conversation than there is on a forum. Tone, inflection, etc are totally missing here outside of a few smilies. Bottom line if that's the case, then Inland should have gotten the time out and any other person that has recently broken the rules.

You know it's funny, when a kid acts up in school, we deal with the kid, not the entire grade level because of one or a handful of kids.

But because it's a typed forum as opposed to live conversation, should we behave differently? It's still essentially a group conversation - you just have more time between talkers. I hear ya about expression, though. One of the hardest things to do in forums and online chat is being able to express yourself when all you have to work with are fonts and funny faces. A few years ago I was heavy into IM and chat rooms, but trying to clearly articulate and communicate thoughts in such a limited medium was becoming too much like work and just not fun anymore. It's amazing how much gets left unexpressed and miscommunicated even despite our best efforts. After a while, you kinda just don't bother, you know?

True about the kid acting up in school, but is he not dealt with using the same rules that already apply to the entire student body? If he's the only one running afoul of the rules, typically he'll be the only one suffering the consequences of their actions. In sort of the same vein, say you have a high school with an open campus lunch policy which applies to all students. Kids drive out for lunch, stay out to long and then race back to school for fear of being late to class. There's an accident. Then a few weeks later, another. Maybe someone gets hurt, maybe they get killed. The school looks at this and knows they've clearly got a problem. What's more, the solution is a hugely unpopular one - abolish the open campus lunch policy. Maybe 6 kids were in these accidents - and there are 500 students (it's a small school). By making this policy change, the school administration is not out to punish the other 494 students who had nothing whatsoever to do with those accidents. It was done to safeguard the student body as much as they were able to in order to try and prevent further accidents. Despite their best possible intentions, many still believed the administration was just out to take things away out of sheer meanness, or lust for power, when power and control had nothing whatsoever to do with it. It was about preservation. I believe that the moderators act to preserve the integrity and useability of this forum. I do not believe that power or spite or favoritism ever dictates the motives of a moderator's actions - which I'd imagine figures in to why we have more than one, aside from the obviously huge amount of forum that there is to keep up with.

PHEW. I'm going to go soak my fingers in warm salt water now, then I'm going to BED. Getting late here.

Old 04-04-2005, 11:06 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
I dnot konw waht all the fuss is aoubt. I'm not hivang a hrad tmie rdeanig aynhtnig hhre. Am I all by msylef on tihs? Jsut keep yuor msesages sroht and to the pnoit and it shuodlnt be too dfifciclut to keep up. Bedsides, if you tpye like this, yuo'll nveer get tggaed in a googel saerch!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

Old 04-04-2005, 11:33 PM   #28
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
I do understand both view points about having the ability to edit a post; however, when a post was edited, if my memory serves me correctly, I remember seeing an indication stating that it had been edited as well as when. With that, I was able to make my own conclusion about the reason for the changes; usually one would indicate why they edited the posting.

Personally, I like the freedom of knowing that I can go back and delete something if I feel that I need to make changes.

The moderators on this forum have done a great job and must be commended for their efforts!

One point I would like to bring out is that by not being able to edit a post it may create more postings where someone may have forgot to say something. Instead of going back and changing it or editing the original post they will now have to make a new post. If Iím correct then with more postings there will be more band width used up!

Since I have switched to another brand I have been spending more time away from this forum and I have been watching elsewhere. I do return from time to time and I try to keep up on some of the threads.

This is still a great site!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote