Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2006, 12:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Bend , Oregon
E mail problem

When I use RV park internet sites I can receive e mail but I cannot reply or send new messages. What am I doing wrong?
jfowler218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Sounds like the smtp settings (outgoing mail server) in your mail client are wrong.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I have the same problem when I use my dial up connected to cell phone arrangement. What I was told is that at those times I was using the Verizon part they must share as common air way but if I want to use e-mail then I must sign up for their service. Same thing when I do hit a hot spot for a wireless connection. What I do to get around this and not pay extra fees is to use a Yahoo e-mail account when travelling. I can still receive messages on my regular Outlook but reply to them on a Yahoo account. Burdensome but free.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:57 PM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
I was using the Verizon part they must share as common air way
got no idea what that means....

Quote:
...but if I want to use e-mail then I must sign up for their service.
that, I understand. they can (and do) block certain types of traffic, to try and hold you hostage. despicable, imo. data is data.

Quote:
Same thing when I do hit a hot spot for a wireless connection.
Ok, that sounds like your regular isp (where your mail lives) simply doesn't allow connections to their smtp server from outside their network. which is silly...but not much you can do about it, except "complain". They say its a matter of preventing their servers from being used to relay spam, but there are plenty of easy ways for them to prevent that. hardly any excuse for it, these days, and with the prevalence of wireless devices, people jumping onto hot-spots and internet cafes and the like, it seems quite burdensome.

[email system admin hat/off]
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:42 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Our ISP allows us to log in to our home page, and access our email from there. That way, there is no problem with having to pay to get what we already pay for.