Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2003, 01:59 PM   #1
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Different Looks on Different Computers

I am noticing something interesting. I have been posting our Utah trip pictures and using my husband's computer to do so because he stored them there on a paint program. On his computer, when I log on to the Photo Gallery and look at our pictures, the pictures look good, clear and bright. When I log onto the Gallery using my computer, the pictures look dark (some I can't even make out details) and less crisp. What would be causing that? Is anyone else seeing this? Are our pictures coming across as clean to most? Would like to figure this out as I started to delete and redo, but then looked at the pics with original computer and could not decide what to do. Thanks for the help. Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 02:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
They look good to me. What are you using for a monitor. I used 2 computers but both have lcd monitors and both looked the same, not dark and detail wasn't washed out.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 02:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Looks good on this end. If you are using a CRT monitor and it is old, they do have a tendancy to become off color and fuzzy.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 02:38 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
That is normal actually at least from the viewing perspective. Different video drivers and the resolutions upon which one is viewing, can have a impact on how the picture is presented.

One thing to check is whether or not you have an updated driver for your video card (Windows Update). Then play around with your display properties (Right click on blank desktop - select properties - click on settings). You will have options for your display down in the lower left corner of the menu.

However (and there is always one of these), it can also be caused by how the picture is saved. When saving a picture you are usually given these options:

Save as GIF or JPEG

Sub options that you will be given are usually in advanced:

save as: GIF WebSnap 128, 256, GIF Adaptive 256 , or GIF Web 216

Websnap refers to using the defined colors for Web Browsers based upon HTML specifications.

Adaptive means that the color palette used - when the picture is viewed - will do its best to match the users color palette ranges.

JPEG settings are usually Better Quality or Smaller File Size.

I use Macromedia's Fireworks MX (macromedia.com - you can download a free 30 day trial) for converting all my web images and almost always do a Export Preview so I get to select those settings.

Another tip that can be utilized on most popular Photo Editing packages is a feature called "Auto Contrast / Brightness" that can sometimes correct dark images as it basically simulates a camera flash.

I save everything in JPEG Smaller Size for all images I post on the web with the exception of Animated Gifs for banner ads that I create... but that is a preference I have as I find the images are usually smaller than comparable GIF settings which is important for folks who connect using dialup access.

Hope that maybe helps you out a little?