Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2015, 04:54 PM   #1

2012 16' Sport
Escondido , California
Corrosion on my 2012 BAMBI, info on class action suit

I have
Alot of corrosion around the running lights and a few small places elsewhere. I've heard there is a class action suit going on right now with AS. Has anyone had this problem ? Any information on the lawsuit would be appreciated as well.
Thank you
Diane Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
There is no lawsuit. Airstream warranty does not cover corrosion.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:50 PM   #3

2012 16' Sport
Escondido , California
Maybe I'm misinformed, I've been told by some RV folks there is a suit pending because so many of the new trailers have this same problem .Meanwhile, how are folks treating this corrosion to keep it from spreading?
Diane
Diane Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Diane, you were misinformed. Read your warranty, it specifically excludes corrosion (filiform).

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi Diane. No suit but there are several threads in here about how to deal with filiform corrosion. If you bought new, your 2 year warranty period is most likely over, however, it's always worth a gentle conversation with your dealer and the factory to see if there's anything they could do on a goodwill basis even if you're technically out of warranty. For example, on my 2012, the clearance light housings were cutting in to the skin and creating the early signs of filiform corrosion. While corrosion is not covered, they replaced all the clearance lights and actually had the dealer do some clean up where things were starting. It was a good gesture on their part.

Could you post some pictures? Some folks here will have some suggestions for you on how you can handle it.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:23 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
I guess they chose to follow the tradition of the Detroit auto corporations of the last century and hired high priced lawyers for the fine print rather than lower paid engineers to fix the problem.
TheCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Bad customer service

Warranty or no warranty

Shouldn't be corroding

Call the factory
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It can easily be prevented or mitigated with regular corrosion inspections and treatment. It can be fixed and maintained with some effort. It's been discussed here many times, but it's not easy. The discussion will be sidetracked consistently by those who don't think you should have to. Well, you do.

Search filiform corrosion here and the are a million posts about it, some useful.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ams-31743.html

Here you go Diane--every thing you ever wanted or did not want to know about Corrosion with our Airstreams, talk about class action suits, prevention as referenced above by Doug, repair, dealings with Johnson Center, etc. Read as much of the above post as you can and then get back with questions to those who have dealt with the problem. For now, get started with the prevention program to at least stop what is happening. Post some photos.
Howard
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Diane, if you want to know exactly how Airstream instructs dealers in the repair of the filiform corrosion around the running lights, I'll send you the PDF file (about 5 - 6 pages). I would need your email. Don't know how to post it here.

Still: The many other places on the trailer where filiform may form need your preventative attention. Actions for this prevention posted in the above thread.
Howard
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote