Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2007, 05:02 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I just noticed these as well [and I WAS logged in]. Here's a way to get rid of them without having to take a cookie from an advertising site. Add the following line in the /etc/hosts file on a Mac or *nix box, or in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts on a PC:

127.0.0.1 kona.kontera.com

then empty your browser cache.

127.0.0.1 is your own PC. Followed by a domain name, this line tells your computer that site is on your own computer, so it won't go lookup the internet address of that site and find it. As a result, it can't get the javascript that causes these. You can use this technique to eliminate all kinds of advertising. Just "View Source" on the webpage with the problem and look for the address of the advertising site.

This "ContentLink" appears to be a copy of IntelliTxt. The latter has several sites that provide it, so you wind up with several lines in /etc/hosts to deal with it.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
southwestern , Michigan
i tried and didn't get any. i'm pretty careful about using adblockers and anti-pop-up software. most of what i use is free downloads like from download. com, etc. i remember how annoying all those pop-ups used to be and i certainly wouldn't want to go back to them. i use firefox 2.0.0.3.
airstreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:55 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Although they have the same effect, ContentLink and IntelliTxt aren't really pop-ups and won't be stopped by pop-up blockers.

AdBlock for FireFox lets you enter global blocks, such as *kontera* while the technique I described above uses specific site names. In other words, I'd have to add a line for kona2.kontera.com if they started serving ads from an alternate server named kona2.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:58 AM   #24
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
We had a popup for a few years-don't miss that! Too much set-up...
Old 04-11-2007, 11:28 AM   #25
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I did as Maurice outlines above, after logging out I saw the ads. I made the changes, cleared cookies and history, and returned withut logging in. The contentlinks were gone. Yay!
Old 04-11-2007, 11:33 AM   #26
_

. , .
terry are you referring to the 4 little conternt link icons we've had for a few months?

in every post.

they seem to have vanished now?

just noticed they are gone.

but haven't done the moe thing...

.........ok just reread the thread start. i've never seen these content link ads in any browser i'm using...

anyway happy to see the static removed...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:05 PM   #27
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswartz
Who is it that made a decision to include these irrelevant adlinks? I see no comments that the adlinks are helpful or useful.

Let us address these questions to that person. I, for one, would like to hear the reasoning.
I am the person who made the decision to use a contextual advertising program. The reason they are there is to create reveue to keep the forums running.

If you all are seeing these contextual ads and you would like to not see them, it's very easy (and free) to remove them. Simply opt-out of the program or join and make a post every so often.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:05 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
I don't see them.I have a popup blocker from Micro soft
Old 04-18-2007, 04:09 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Falmouth , Massachusetts
Andy,

Thank you for responding to my question. At least there was a conscious decision to implement these contentlinks.

Most of the time I'm logged in and don't see them, but when I was not logged in, as I mentioned, I was astounded at how apparently irrelevant the links were that I followed.

I know it is not your personal content-matching effort which places them, but an automated selection process which creates these links. As my post examples showed, almost all I saw were completely out-of-context and likely irrelevant to an Airstream forum subscriber on that topic.

Were I an advertiser, I would question why I would spend money for an out-of-context link- but, of course, if people actually clicked on the link, then that is what I would hope for. If that click comes, more hits/pageviews are made, and more support funds go to the forum.

While users can debate if we like them, if it supports the work you are doing and does not interfere with those of us who are members, especially financially supporting members, then I think you're doing a responsible thing.

Again, thanks for the explanation.
mswartz is offline   Reply With Quote