Old 11-20-2003, 11:21 PM   #15
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
It's Magic!!

Sue&Von - in your reference to scanning newspapers, back them up with black paper before scanning and the images from the other side disappear.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 11:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Send a message via ICQ to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Yahoo to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Skype™ to 53flyingcloud
Thumbs up Good fer you~

Von & Sue
Quote:
Scuzzy ?
Excuse me for smiling here but, what you meant was SCSI..
Does your motherboard have the proper slot for this?
Is it 50 pins, or 68 pins? Up till 3 weeks ago, I could've given you a nearly new Canon scanner which interfaces with SCSI via 50 pins connector until I revived the old SCSI puter I built some 7 yrs ago...Too late now..Wife has grab'd it..
On the Video board with TV..I'd highly recommand ATI~ It has the nicest sofeware to go with it plus, you can do tons of video editing with it as well. It is cable TV ready as it stands. plus all kinds of other features for video editing..
Burner>?? which one did you get..CD or DVD?
May I offer you a suggestion on choices of antivirus programs?
Take a look at either "Panda or ProtectorPlus" first. They both work extremely well in the "background", unlike Norton..McAfee, in my humble opinion is next to..a bit bucket~
For free share/software, take a serious look at these two.
"Spybot" and "SpywareBlaster".. You could do no worse to also add on that list, Ad-Aware version 6, as well...
Don't forget to enable the firewall feature that comes with XP..It really works..Not as powerful as ZoneAlarm but, most casual, home puter users really don't need something of that depth~
Just a few hints...

ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 11:54 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

I did quite a bit of research on scanners this year and found that the CanoScan LiDE 30 was the best scanner for travelers. Here's why: It is the only scannner that I found that gets its power from your laptop's USB port. No need to look for a 110V power outlet when you're on the road. The scan quality is good, and it works with both Macs and PCs. It costs about $80.

This scanner has the ability to scan the document and then convert it into a PDF file. (Viewable with the free Adobe Acrobat Reader program)

If you are really organized, you can scan all your important papers, save them as PDF files on your laptop computer and have several "four-drawer file cabinets" worth of documents in your laptop computer. (just make sure to set up some security measures like passwords in case of computer theft and be sure to back up your important files onto CDs and put them in a fire safe.