Old 05-10-2004, 09:02 AM   #1
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Common courtesy, lest we forget

If you post a question and receive an answer/answers, it seems to me that common courtesy would dictate
a thank you or some form of acknowledgment. Forgive me for griping but I've seen far too many Q's that were answered but not acknowledged. It's a free forum, all members, administrators and moderators are volunteers. I know how to say thank you. My Momma taught me.

May you camp where wind wonít hit you, where snakes wonít bite and bears wonít git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 09:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I'm sure it was an oversite. There are so many different places for posts here that you can loose the post. I have had a couple I made early on that I can't find anymore. It is nice to hear the outcome especialy on a technical question or problem. The outcome could help others so it would be appropriate to post a follow up as to the final resolution. Somethimes that doesn't happen.

I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. If nothing else your attempt to help someone is always noticed by many more then the person who asked the first question. It is about sharing the knowledge with all.

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 09:19 AM   #3
Craftsman

Roger,
I would say that your absolutley right. It is just a common courtesy.Since my very breif history with the forum, if I have been guilty of this oversite I'll say thanks for bringing it to my and everyone's attention.
Jack
Old 05-10-2004, 09:24 AM   #4
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
I'm sure that you are right, toaster, but It would certainly be a help to this Forum if folks simply posted that answers to their Q's are helpful, inadequate or otherwise.
"Thank you for shopping K Mart".

May you camp where wind wonít hit you, where snakes wonít bite and bears wonít git you.

Old 05-10-2004, 10:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
You are right about possibly losing the thread you posted on. Its helpful to go to the Quick Links above and subscribe to the thread you posted on, then you will be notfied when someone answers your question. You can un-subscribe later.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 10:11 AM   #6
Site Team

, Minnesota
I used to use the karma button to acknowlege useful help, even if it wasn't to my own question. You could write a short "thanks" in the comment space. Where did all the karma go?

I don't want it back if it's going to cause a fight or a software problem. And I never did figure out how to read the karma comments, which I assume is because no one ever sent me any karma. Maybe I've answered my own question. Lack of use led to it's demise.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:23 AM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
While thanks is nice, I don't get offended if none is offered. Sometimes lots of folks chime in and obviously a separate list of thanks to each individual can also have its own issues. You could if you wish, click on the posters name and take the PM choice to thank them. Also effective and gets the job done without clutter.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 10:39 AM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Gosh, I always try to remember to say thanks - but then I owe it to so many people around here!

Most important though is that if someone offers help, I like to hear what the final solution was. There's been times I've searched for something I needed help with, and saw the same question as I had with some responses, only to never see a final solution posted. It's really helpful to go back whenever possible and let folks know how it all turned out.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 11:06 AM   #9
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
While thanks is nice, I don't get offended if none is offered. Sometimes lots of folks chime in and obviously a separate list of thanks to each individual can also have its own issues. You could if you wish, click on the posters name and take the PM choice to thank them. Also effective and gets the job done without clutter.

Jack
I have to disagree, agreeably. I do not think a simple post saying "thanks" is clutter.
I feel that anyone who responds to a thread with helpful info deserves to be thanked publicly.
It ain't about karma. It's about satisfaction in helping a fellow member. Heaven help me if I had not found this Forum when I needed help. I try to repay my debt by contributing any useful info I might have. A simple "thank you" is my reward.

Old 05-10-2004, 11:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
There are so many different places for posts here that you can loose the post. I have had a couple I made early on that I can't find anymore.
Because there ARE so many posts, threads & forums, sometimes moderators will relocate a new thread to keep things organized topically. Another reason a thread may not be able to be found is it contains outdated info...such as a "For Sale" listing that's over a year old. If it's a post you have made (or know who did) you can either use the "Search" tool or "View all Posts by this Member" tool to help locate older posts.

Another tool I have found to be very helpful, so I "don't miss anything" (in addition to subscribing to a specific thread, as Alan mentioned above) is to use the "new posts" button. What it does is let you see ALL the posts since you last logged in, instead of limiting it to the last 24 hours or last 25-30 on the home page.

I find this feature really helpful, especially after coming back from a trip. Doesn't mean you have to read them all, but it does sort them out for you so you don't miss anything.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 12:54 PM   #11
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Shari, following your train of thought in finding and keeping track of the info on this site, when I find a particular thread of interest to me, I don't bookmark it. I copy the URL into a word pad document I have titled AS Info.
Examples:
Olympic rivets: http://www.airforums.com/forum...olympic+rivets
Tires: http://www.airforums.com/forum...=caravel+tires

It saves overcrowding of my Favorites menu and gives me quick reference to specific topics.
Other tips that may be of interest to members:
I always view the site in full screen mode. On my pc, I simply poke the F11 key to do this.
When I'm composing a thread or post, I usually open a new window, thus allowing me to refer to the original data without losing my post or make corrections to same.

It might be a nice idea to open a new thread on user tips where we can all share our shortcuts or viewing tips?

Old 05-10-2004, 01:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
It might be a nice idea to open a new thread on user tips where we can all share our shortcuts or viewing tips?
That's what the "About these forums, How-To's & Support" Forum is for, all kinds of tips can be found there.

Shari

Old 05-10-2004, 01:13 PM   #13
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
yeah I know but much of the info there is incompatible with the new software or is buried in the mounds of info. I was thinking a new "User tips" thread might be helpful.

Old 05-10-2004, 01:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
I was thinking a new "User tips" thread might be helpful.
So start one...

Shari