Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2017, 06:30 PM   #41
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Red face oop's

Sorry gang, it's my fault ......Colton is a local WNY operation.

They recently took on AS, and when I saw one on the lot I stopped in and spent some time talking to the Staff.
Talk got around to the Forums, I told them to get engaged and they could learn a lot about all things Airstream....they've been in business for 50+, but were pretty clueless about AS.

A recent visit confirmed a big improvement...most all the AS staff has gone thru the Factory indoctrination & "service" training.

Bob
Old 09-16-2017, 04:51 AM   #42
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
Air Forums must link the nearest Airstream Dealership to the Air Forums member ... I get the same annoying pop-up from Camper Clinic II of Austin, regardless of whether I'm on my laptop or my iPhone. It's probably the single annoying thing to me with the Air Forums.
Agreed. Luckily the nearest "paying" AS dealer doesn't have the pop up add. My nearest AS dealer is in St Louis, but they must not be a supporting dealer. (To Airforum) So I see the Chicago dealers adds.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:56 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Sorry gang, it's my fault . . .
. . .
Next time you stop by Colton, maybe you should direct them to this thread, and let them know that they are running a negative marketing campaign.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:53 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
HowieE started a new thread, but to keep things simple, maybe folks could reply here. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Is anyone else getting the bothersome pop up ad from Colton RV when the log into the Forum?

This open a new tab in Fire Fox on my computer every time I log on. The ad is a product of L5 advertising and if I attempt to go to their web site I get a message from Fire Fox that the sight is configured to steal my information. Since this started I am also getting messages from Malwarebytes that it has blocked an outgoing request that I assume is part of the problem.

It is bad enough that our banks and credit agencies are stealing or selling our information but we should at least be able to safely read about our trailers without fear.

If you have info on how to stop this please advise.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:44 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I use AdBlockPro and I see no popups. It's free.
I see right now it's blocking 22 elements.

Blame Colton? You bet! You'll never convince me someone there (Or their ad agency) didn't agree to buy popups online. It's like blaming shoplifters for higher prices...Yes!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:00 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Sky River RV

For me its our local AS dealer, on the Ipad it opens a new page with their website without me going near their add. My SOB desktop does not do it though.
My thought was traffic revenue as mentioned, not the dealer but the forum is at fault.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:33 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
. . .
Blame Colton? You bet!
. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
. . .
My thought was traffic revenue as mentioned, not the dealer but the forum is at fault.
Agreed!

On both counts!

Old 09-16-2017, 12:23 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I believe that one of the perks that comes with being a supporting member here is fewer ads to contend with.

I almost always use Safari for Airforums, also, and don't have this problem.

Maggie
Old 09-16-2017, 01:47 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Supporting membership is not the cure all. Originally the Forum had very few ads. Then they sold to right side of the page and reduced the topic area. That was understandable and caused little difficulty.

Now the Forum has sold mine and your IP address to an adverting company who in turn has a program for the pop up tab function and sells that to third parties, Colton RV and any other company willing to fork over the money.

At this point, with the IP addresses already out there in the public domain, I doubt the Forum could stop it if they wanted to.

I am going to contact Malwarebyes, I subscribe to it, and suggest they look into a way to stop third parties from populating my computer with a completely separate web page. This is nothing more than ransom ware in a new form.

I do agree though that constant complaints to Colton will get the word out to the marketing community in general that this is now the way to make friends and influence people. The smarter companies will not buy the service.

Years ago our camping club, 10 to 15 members at that time, would send post cards to any campground that was below acceptable standards. The cards would read "this is where we camped last weekend" and name the campground. Next time your at a dealer see if the have a post card and send it to Colton. I suspect the pop ups will stop after the next subscription cycle.

It is a numbers game. Generate numbers.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote