Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2016, 07:34 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Question Checking your browser message

Suddenly I'm getting this "checking your browser" popup. It takes me to the forum, eventually, but when I try to reply to a topic it does it again, then the screen goes white, not allowing my post to go through. It just sits there. What's up with that?

OK, this one took, but I have to return to the submit screen, paste in my reply again, and resubmit, then it takes it.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:37 AM   #2
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I'm experiencing a very similar situation. When I first access Air Forums I see the message. On mine (IE 11) it's not a pop-up but the main screen of IE. I'm posting this message and wonder what will happen when I click on submit.

on edit - no problem experienced when posting the message above. I noticed IE indicated Air Forums was checking the browser but that seemed to happen in the background.

I ran Malwarebytes yesterday and removed anything it indicated might pose a problem. Could that be related?
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It's because AirForums has been under a cyber-attack for the past week or so, and the software to defend against and resolve this is working.

Maggie
Old 06-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Tried to post and get a blank screen with Firefox. It seems that I can post to an existing thread, but I can't start a new thread.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I've turned off the ad blocker. If this posts without any issue then maybe I need to keep it off for a while

Well, that helped. OK, Ad Block Plus will be off for a while until the storm is over.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 06-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I frequently use the forum from an app on my iPad and with that I receive a "Tapatalk error". Just started today.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I am having the same trouble with Google Chrome.

Also, when the long pause occurs on the home page, "Waiting for a.oogala.com" appears in the lower left corner of the screen. (Oogala.com is a site that feeds pop-up ads to browsers.)

This delay may be aggravated by the huge number of ads being sent that keep flipping by on the side of that Web page, which are becoming increasingly annoying.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:47 AM   #8
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Seems the CloudFlare denial of service (DoS) protection thinks the site is under act and double, triple, quadruple checking the browser before allowing connection....
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Same thing here - a bit of a pain, but I suppose it serves a purpose. Wonder if this will now be a permanent thing or just temporary?

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:53 AM   #10
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
A few days ago someone posted a question about a craigslist sale asking if anyone knew about the rig in question or the consignment company that had is listed.

One of the most egregious scams out there is to set up fake pages on hacked sites that have good reviews and company info, making the company look legitimate to anyone who may not be cautious and this appears to be one. Here is a link to that closed thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f348...es-152241.html

When you research these companies be sure that the URL in the browser address line corresponds to the info you see on the printed page. Here is an example of a hacked site:

Click image for larger version

Name:	AR hacked site.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	264649

Once the publicity gets to hot, the hacked pages are removed. Then a few months later it seems to start up again under a different name.

When there is sufficient bad publicity, sites that host that info are attacked. Last January this happened and several large RV forums were target - several were offline for more than a day. This sanitizes the internet for search returns for the company name. We believe this is the case this time as well.

We are caught between a rock and a hard place here. We want to keep the board open so that folks can ask questions about a sale. This is one of the most useful things we do here at AIR but we also need to keep the board ONLINE to do that. The browser check is in place to help stop bot attacks on the site that are set in place to crash the server. (DDoS attack)

If you are browsing on mobile you may not be able to access the site. if you are browsing from a proxy, you may have the same experience. We apologize for the hassle but the choices are to: remove the content in question or slow site browsing with the browser check.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Keep at it, thanks for the effort.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by damonbeals View Post
So what did this site do to make someone mad enough to DDos them? DDosing cost money so someone is really mad.

And yes I do know what I'm talking about.

Damon
I'll bet it's those Hensley Hitch fans- or maybe the Pro-Prides.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I'll bet it's those Hensley Hitch fans- or maybe the Pro-Prides.
Neither, the site is running on over inflated GYMs that are older than 2 years.

By the way, Ad Block Plus is not the culprit either. I'm getting the white screen, even with the blocker turned off.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 06-17-2016, 12:17 PM   #14
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Neither, the site is running on over inflated GYMs that are older than 2 years.

By the way, Ad Block Plus is not the culprit either. I'm getting the white screen, even with the blocker turned off.
Please see post 10. This is a result of the Cloudflare Browser check services. You may need to refresh or reload the page.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
After intense research, I have found that the "checking browser" page is a new internet value enhancing program. The huge internet control program located in a secret location is randomly doing worth checks. Random checks are being made of attempts to access random web pages. If you are selected to be tested, the worthiness of all of your internet posts within the last 30 days is evaluated. If you pass, you will be allowed to access the requested page. If not, you will be directed to a blank page.

It is believed that this is a reaction to the HUUUGE amount of false information being posted on the internet during this election cycle. Be patient, it should improve towards the end of the year.

You will note that my post was accepted. That's because all the internet minions love me.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I for one don't mind the Check Browser time delay. Since it has been here, the last 2 days, my access to AirForums time has decreased by 75% or more. Historically it could take up to 30 second, I could go for coffee before a page would come up, to switch from page to page on the site. I was about to shoot my computer but now after the Check Browser page does it's thing I am connected is a second or 2.

That problem has been effecting my access for months so I am a happy camper now.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:11 PM   #17
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
DDOS (Distributed Denial Of Service) attacks typically recruit a network of malware-infected computers to do their bidding. Owners of those compromised systems rarely have any indication that this is happening.

So, one thing you can do is scan all your computers to see whether they might be infected and if so clean them up. Usually, these infected devices are PCs, not touchpads (iPad, etc.) or phones. If you have a Mac, that's worth scanning too (e.g., we use Bitdefender Antivirus for our Mac).

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:19 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the Mac advice. Do you find that BitDefender AV is actually finding viruses/problems on your Mac(s)? We switched from PCs to Macs years ago to avoid problems, after a nasty Trojan Horse got into our PC.

On the current protection for this site for the DDOS attack, is there some kind of "flood control" for multlple posts going on? I have posted a comment, and then tried to post another soon after, and the second post has not gone through. So I went back and copied my text, then started a new "Reply to Thread" to be able to get the site to accept the newer post.

Maybe we have to accept new limits on posting, in the interests of the general good and protection for this site, but it would be helpful if the administrators and moderators could outline any new guidelines for us, especially as to any new flood control in place.

Happy here to "tap on the brakes" once in a while if it gives the site a break . . .

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:44 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I'm guessing this is also why the mobile app hasn't worked properly for a few days.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
I frequently use the forum from an app on my iPad and with that I receive a "Tapatalk error". Just started today.
Same here. iPhone app not working. Deleted and reinstalled. Still not working. Try to log on to it and "Access Denied" message pops up.

Using Safari on iPhone now - I also get the check browser message all the time. Oh well...
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autorebba, scam