Old 09-08-2015, 02:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Foremost also has agreed value for vintage trailers.

TAC MS-9
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:21 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Stone Mountain , Georgia
I've been through several insurers who said yes they have Agreed Value, but then sold me something much less. Kept each of them only one year. Nationwide Insurance used my IVAN Appraisers documented appraisal and wrote a policy for what I thought the trailer was worth in the real market place, and that was also what the appraiser had documented. It was a few dollars over $300 for $31,000 worth of insurance, along with slip and fall, and a lot of extras. While hooked up and moving your collision liability to others is covered by your TV's policy.

As others have pointed out, it is not what you have in it, and it isn't what you think its worth, it is what your trailer would sell for in the market at the time of appraisal, and what it would cost you to replace the trailer with a like trailer in the same condition. The appraisal sort of splits the difference, but is documented. If you accept this value as a real world value and the insurance company does too, it is an Agreed Value policy, but make sure it is written in ink in the policy AGREED VALUE. Otherwise they look up your AS in a depreciation schedule, which for 25-50 year old AS is slightly above scrap aluminum value. Some Insurance companies require your AS to be in a locked garage when not in use, so if your AS is free standing, make sure that your insurer knows that, and if that's not OK keep looking. My 1990 Excella 29' AS is free standing and Nationwide was happy to write an Agreed Value policy.

2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marco Island , Florida
This is a work of art! Perhaps you can have it insured as that! I'd be afraid to take it off the driveway. Perhaps a little place to play some cards & have some fun (in the driveway!) :-)
Old 09-08-2015, 04:24 PM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secguru View Post
AAA has agreed value insurance for RVs, but all your insurance has to be with them to qualify for it.

They will pay the agreed value. You just have to have evidence (appraisal from a reputable source).
This was not true for me. I got my RV insurance through AAA, but it is actually Progressive. The rest of our vehicles are insured through esurance (AllState). We had the trailer appraised and got an agreed value policy. We have never had to use it so I cannot speak to their follow through.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:44 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

beaumont , Texas

I use J C Taylor for my 64 Galaxie, they agree on my value, and charge accordingly. That being said.. normally I will look at a few of the pictures posted, but on this one, I gotta tell you, I looked at every one, twice. This trailer is phenomenal, and I mean outstanding. It is so customized that it is almost un real. I dont think there would be any problem asking whatever you might want for it. ... someone is going to just have to have this one. Really.. great job.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I have a single policy that covers my house, out buildings, cars, the AS and an LTV Unity MH as well as an umbrella policy. However, the umbrella policy will not cover my cars that are insured by Hagerty. I've discussed vintage trailer insurance with Hagerty and I've got the impression that underwriting old Airstreams is not a priority.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:14 PM   #21
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
This was not true for me. I got my RV insurance through AAA, but it is actually Progressive. The rest of our vehicles are insured through esurance (AllState). We had the trailer appraised and got an agreed value policy. We have never had to use it so I cannot speak to their follow through.
I called my AAA agent and mentioned that one forum member stated that AAA trailer insurance id actually Progressive. He stated that this is categorically false. AAA does not "sub" out their RV insurance, does provided "stated value" insurance as an option, which I have and does not contest the stated value on a claim. He stated that AAA RV insurance has a #1 rating by J.D. Power & Associates for RV insurance claims.

He did state that some agents, who sell AAA and other policies may sign a client up for another company if their RV does not qualify for AAA RV insurance, or for other reasons of their own choosing.

But AAA definitely insures RVs directly, and has stated value insurance.

I can tell you that I switched from Progressive when I heard from a neighbor in an RV park that their "stated value" claim was disputed and argued down to a much lower amount by Progressive.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:20 PM   #22

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secguru View Post
I called my AAA agent and mentioned that one forum member stated that AAA trailer insurance id actually Progressive. He stated that this is categorically false. AAA does not "sub" out their RV insurance, does provided "stated value" insurance as an option, which I have and does not contest the stated value on a claim. He stated that AAA RV insurance has a #1 rating by J.D. Power & Associates for RV insurance claims.
Bizarre, because we went through AAA, and the insurance is actually through Progressive. Not through in independent insurance agent. Must be different in your state than in ours. This was the only RV insurance available through AAA in our area. We've had this policy for several years, in fact my husband was just in contact with them a month or so ago because we are going to have the trailer re-appraised because the value has gone up, and the discussion about doing that was with the AAA Insurance Agency rep.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:25 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Stone Mountain , Georgia
In my experience with a half dozen insurance companies re: my AS, Stated Value is NOT the same as Agreed Value, backed by a copy of a recognized appraisal network such as IVAN. Stated Value is what you go on record as saying it is worth. The tears come when you have a major accident. I have had agent after agent misrepresent what Stated Value, and Actual Value mean and they were all wrong and I kept them only one year each.

The insurance company's Underwriters and their Claims Department determine what you get. If you go with something less than Agreed Value, backed by a certified appraisal, and written in the contract clearly as the means of settlement, be prepared to hire a good lawyer and litigate. Progressive, through Good Sam, offered me a real Agreed Value policy for a free standing AS, as did Nationwide, and I went with Nationwide as it was half of the Progressive price, but I would have taken either if necessary. Talk now is cheap, but when sorrow comes its only what is written in INK that will count.

2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags