Old 06-21-2016, 01:26 AM   #1
Tpo

Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Buyers guide targeted at new members?

Hello,
Is there a specific subforum or thread aimed at potential buyers? Namely, a "which used A/S is right for me" kind of thread?
Thanks

Old 06-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Hi TPO, welcome to the forum.

I don't recall seeing one just for potential buyers. Most people post a question in the Airstream Lifestyle or similar thread. Each person wants something different and the usual advice is to "go and see" what's out there. You can also start a thread with questions you have.

I'd search this forum first, there's already a lot of advice here. Go to Google and enter 'Airforums [whatever your question is]' and click search. The search feature in the forum is not very good.

For first timers the best advice is to go with used and not new. New Airstreams are quite expensive and there's a big depreciation in the first few years. Another reason is that within the first 2-3 years people will usually either want to sell because they don't like the lifestyle or they want to go bigger because the one they got seemed big at the time, now they want more.

Financing and storage are other considerations. If you're going to finance you'll find banks and credit unions aren't real keen on trailer loans, fairly costly. If you live in a deed restricted subdivision you will need to store away from home. Then there's the tow vehicle (TV) issue. You need to determine how much you can safely tow with what you have or will you have to buy a bigger TV.

So, lots of things to think about. Does that get you started???

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Another welcome to you, TPO. There are lots of us who are looking forward to our first Airstream. All of us have asked lots of questions, and we've gotten good answers. Sometimes we've gotten conflicting answers, but that's okay.

Might I suggest that you start by introducing yourself and tell us what you are thinking about. That would get the conversations started.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:11 PM   #4
Tpo

Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Thanks guys.
I am most definitely looking for used. In fact, the ones that have most interested me are 40 years old or more. No financing, lol. My TV will be a 2005 sprinter van, so I'm trying to keep dry weight under 3500 or so. This limits me to 23' or less, I am guessing. I will be living in it. I have lived in the van for extended periods so the space/lifestyle will not be an issue. I don't have much knowledge concerning rV heating/electrical/plumbing, but am moderately inclined mechanically and am realistic about the attention that a 40 yr old trailer will require.
Thanks!
Old 06-23-2016, 12:08 AM   #5

Currently Looking...
Salt Lake City , Utah
Same story..

Hi everyone! I just came across this forum and have the exact same scenario as Tpo, so I just wanted to say hi and listen in. I'm looking for an older AS that I could live in. I just want to get as much info as I can. I found a 26ft AS I really like but just wondering what issues I should be looking for when I inspect it? Plumbing, Electrical, A/C/Heat.. Thanks for the help!

Also, my TV is a 2010 4runner so trying to keep the weight down.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpo View Post
Thanks guys.
I am most definitely looking for used. In fact, the ones that have most interested me are 40 years old or more. No financing, lol. My TV will be a 2005 sprinter van, so I'm trying to keep dry weight under 3500 or so. This limits me to 23' or less, I am guessing. I will be living in it. I have lived in the van for extended periods so the space/lifestyle will not be an issue. I don't have much knowledge concerning rV heating/electrical/plumbing, but am moderately inclined mechanically and am realistic about the attention that a 40 yr old trailer will require.
Thanks!
My 23'
GVWR is 6,000
Hitch weight (unloaded) is 600
Unit Base weight (no options, dry) is 4,500

You're going to have to go to the much older / smaller models. 3,500 is going to be a hard target to hit.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 06-23-2016, 10:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWade View Post
Hi everyone! I just came across this forum and have the exact same scenario as Tpo, so I just wanted to say hi and listen in. I'm looking for an older AS that I could live in. I just want to get as much info as I can. I found a 26ft AS I really like but just wondering what issues I should be looking for when I inspect it? Plumbing, Electrical, A/C/Heat.. Thanks for the help!

Also, my TV is a 2010 4runner so trying to keep the weight down.
Hi JWade, welcome to the forum.

My 4Runner is a 2004 with a V8. It's rated for 7,000 max towing capacity. My 23' AS GVWR is 6,000. I don't think that you can safely tow a 26' AS with what you have. I believe your tow rating is either 4,700 or 5,000.

In my 2006 AS owner's manual, the 25' AS GVWR is 7,000 - 7,300.

You're probably going to have to find something older than the 90s, maybe 80s.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 06-23-2016, 01:57 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Buford , Georgia
How much you should Tow could depend on how often you will tow, where and how far. Once a year or once a week?
Old 06-24-2016, 03:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
"My TV will be a 2005 sprinter van, so I'm trying to keep dry weight under 3500 or so." Are you sure that you are talking DRY weight, or are you talking GROSS weight? My Jeep owner's manual doesn't say anything about the EMPTY weight of the trailer, but it does give a GROSS weight of the trailer.

You may well have a limit of 3500 pounds for your van. That's the GROSS weight (the most that it can weigh), not the dry (empty) weight. I just checked the Airstream documents to see what a mid-60's trailer might weigh. My quick check didn't turn up gross weight, just "weight" which I'm guessing is dry weight. The smaller coaches might fit in your weight limit, and maybe someone who actually has one could help you. In the meantime, I'd suggest that you verify the actual weight limits for your van.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:10 PM   #10

Currently Looking...
Salt Lake City , Utah
repairs

I'm looking for something 60s-70s most likely. I'm more concerned about the "issues" i should be looking for when buying a late model AS than tow weight. I'm going to have it parked most of the time is my guess and if I decide I need to pull it more often, then I'll get a truck to handle it at the time.

When inspecting an AS that I'm buying used, what should I be checking on plumbing, electrical to really let me know if anything is wrong?

Thanks for the welcome @richw46!
Old 06-26-2016, 10:28 AM   #11
Tpo

Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwjumper View Post
How much you should Tow could depend on how often you will tow, where and how far. Once a year or once a week?
Thank you for mentioning this and it is something I have considered. My van allows for 5000 lb tow weight and 500 tongue weight. Both of these have been exceeded by other owners, and the consensus seems to be that it can be done if careful thought is put into it. I stated that I was aiming for a 3500 dry weight, and I'm guessing that will be 4200 wet and loaded.If I knew I would only be moving it a couple of times per year, I could buy a bigger trailer. But I am unsure of my future plans right now so I would rather err on the cautious side.
The low tongue weight number can be addressed easily enough by rear loading the trailer, which will increase the wiggle factor but as I drive like an old man I think I can deal with it.
Thanks!