Old 09-16-2006, 07:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Summerkid, thanks for the encouragement.

Anyone: I would like an answer to the above question, I'd like to know better how the site functions.

Old 09-16-2006, 08:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
More recent posts will absolutely be answered more quickly because, unless I'm mistaken, the majority of us rely on the home page that lists the latest 25 posts.

And unless it is a vastly different query, I would like to see it appended to the older thread, partly because that gives me an opportunity to look through other posts even if they risk being slightly out of date (and fondly remember aluminuts who have drifted away!).

But that is personal preference. Any other opinions?

Old 09-16-2006, 08:01 PM   #17
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
I have 10 folders of tabbed printouts to boot..
summer kid...

i notice your post count is now the sign of satan...666

and i'm worried about your print outs...

what if a post is deleted or edited or threads combined...

won't this lead to an apocalyptic cataclysm in your folders?

newbies take note...no need to print out posts...

just save'em as word/text files on the hard drive!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
A newbie myself (joined March 30th of this year) I even find it mildly irritating when I see the same question asked repeatedly. I quickly learned how to use the search function (tip: if you don’t find what you’re looking for also try to deliberately misspell the word you are looking for). I have noticed that most of those welcoming new members suggest using the search button, and I think that reminder certainly helps (politely) reduce some of the redundancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
I'd love to see us all have our own thread, a la Uwe's restoration of the '63, but I'd much rather pore through his thread, knowing that I saw something relevant a couple of months ago, than have all that info spread out over 100 abortive threads.
I like the idea of our own thread (mine’s here) to document my progress (or lack thereof lately ). I do post specific questions to other threads, or start a new one if I don’t find a relevant one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
I have tried when I can to take similar subjects, combine the threads and make them "sticky" so they are easy to locate.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I think that’s the absolute best way – of course I don’t know what kind of work that involves. BTW – I always wondered what a “sticky” thread was and never found out by searching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebolewis
When I first started I used the search button a lot. I have read 100's and perhaps 1000's of threads and got a lot of interesting and even useful related info...but often NOT the answer to my specific question. I would then start a new thread with my specific question and get the answer in a short time, most of the time. Sometimes by someone referring me to a thread that has the exact answer I was looking for but it didn't show up on my "search" for some reason...

Ditto here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
…what i would like to see MORE OF,
is people offerring a simple THANKS
for the efforts to answer their questions,
or post followups with outcomes of their thread...

2air'
ALANSD tried a thread here: Member KUDOS!! Right Herebut it only got to 13 posts before dying out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
i also appreciate it when their effort to search is mentioned and the results they obtained...as part of the post...
2air'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
This was on a subject that I had searched and found a previous one, but was un-satisfied with the answers given at that time (A couple of years ago). Today I checked the responses to my recent post and found that I had recieved some very helpful replies
I guess I have some questions.

1. Is a more recent post going to be answered more quickly?
2. Should I have tagged my question onto the 2 year old post?
My suggestions:
1. Yes
2. Yes – tagging your question on to the old thread “revives” it and brings it to the top where others see it and hopefully answer.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
ALANSD tried a thread here: Member KUDOS!! Right Here but it only got to 13 posts before dying out.
This is a terrific example of the wonderful circularity of a good discussion here. This thread somehow escaped me ... and all the search functions in the world probably wouldn't have brought it to my attention.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:24 PM   #20
_

. , .
hi fyrzowt....

if one finds a past thread on the same topic that has any useful info, sure it's great to add a newer version of the question or issue. or an updated reply or new info on a long standing topic... that will bring the thread right up to page one...for all to see...it will be 'new now'....and new posts will follow yours...

that assumes of course the thread did not go so far afield from the actual issue that the connection is lost, or that the reply posts are not so nasty as to freeze the keyboards of those that might reply.

another option is to just include a link to the thread/s you found IN your post.

moderators can combine them or edit your thread onto the others as needed.

many don't even notice that some long threads have been combined already several times...

the biggest issue here imo is getting folks online at all.

the new member intro threads have helped with that.

sometimes a wildly polarizing post helps with readership or responses...

occasionally those long in the forum tooth, will vent about duplicate posts, no info in a member user file or other pet peeves....

i have found it insightfull to look at the topics/content for threads started by a given member....
often the theme is repeated by the member over and over....in each thread they start...
this helps me decide if a reply is worth my convoluted typing with only 3 fingers...

as noted earlier some threads are just chit chat...

and some members hate chit chat threads...

only wanting technical or factual or remodel or some other theme....

have fun post more often...this place is overly tame as forums go...

i like the sandbox idea but i'm installing superduper! and doing a mac clone as i post so i may have confused the issues....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
something funky going on with the threads - I didn't double quote in my post above, but it keeps showing up that way even on edit? - (even got kicked off momentarily while trying to edit) and now Summerkid's last post is duplicated.
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 09-16-2006, 08:29 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
2air - where did you get your invisibility cloak? Is it one of the superpowers that comes with upgraded membership?
(sorry for the hijack, now returning you to your regularly scheduled thread )
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 09-16-2006, 08:32 PM   #23
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
I guess I have some questions.
1. Is a more recent post going to be answered more quickly?
2. Should I have tagged my question onto the 2 year old post?

Some of us newbies may screw up once in a while, but be patient - some of us do want to learn.
1. Yes - a more recent post will be answered more prompty. Most veteran users go directly to the portal page that shows the most recent posts - only.

2. Depends on the question.... If your question has something to do with the title of the thread - then maybe. Otherwise I guess I'd just start a new thread. As a moderator, one of my less fun jobs is to split threads that have veared off the original topic and make a new thread with those off topic posts.

Don't worry about being a newbie! We were all newbies at one time or another. We were all kids at one time as well and.... someone let us live despite our status!

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:37 PM   #24
_

. , .
well great pumpkin, the kudos thread does merit kudos...here they are!

and have you 4gotn about the rabbit hole for hiding?....

someone (chaplain kent i think) constructed an absolutely hilarious post that was an amalgam of dozens of the most repeated, silly, often unanswerable questions....in one long question....a very funny post!!!

it was so funny...i tried to find the post but searching has let me down!
anyone? where is that post?

there are also examples where one genuinely feels sorry for the poster/question because of grammar spelling or the subject in question...and one hopes those theads fade quietly...but NO someone answers and keeps the agony current....have some mercy folks!

finally there are occasions when adding to a really old thread are useless and funny...like a 3 year old thread with no replies or even posts by the principles in 2 years...then a new post appears asking for more info from the departed member...

beware of this....it is the dreaded zombie thread syndrome!

cheers
2air'

Old 09-16-2006, 08:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
something funky going on with the threads - I didn't double quote in my post above, but it keeps showing up that way even on edit? - (even got kicked off momentarily while trying to edit) and now Summerkid's last post is duplicated.
I think it was the "666" thing! I tried to quickly post to get rid of that number but inadvertently mentioned a member named Marina (remember THAT long-gone avatar?) and I think the beastly combination caused a forums fritz.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:22 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Search Function and Questions

As a complete newbie, I have a couple of comments I would like to make

First, for kudos, thanks to all of you who have given me so much information in the past little while. My AS has never had so much attention, and I have saved no telling how much money with all the hints. The threads (once I found out how to use them) have been a valuable source of information about things I earlier wouldn't have even know to ask.

When I first found the forum I was so excited to have found it that I just jumped in and asked questions about things that I wanted to know. The itsy-bitsy-teenie-weenie little search button never caught my eye. When someone finally "harshly" brought another user to task I learned about it and how to use it. That member was the one who really opened up the wealth of info to me.

I think that is what happens with new users, particularly if they have just gotten a new AS and are all excited and eager to learn. Maybe there could be some way to "suggest" right when someone joins that posting is encouraged but searching first might be a better and quicker way to find an answer.

BTW, as helpful as that member's advice turned out to be, since I thought it was a little harsh. I saw the "karma" button and thought it was something like "rate this post" and gave the poor guy bad karma, not having any idea at all that I was affecting his "score" or such. Maybe it might be a good idea to explain that deadly little button right at the sign-up page too. The thread for new users was very helpful, but some of the damage was already done by the time I'd found that.

Thank you all for the excellent advice and info, some of it directly to me in PM's and in threads.

Waynon
Old 09-16-2006, 11:43 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Leave the forum alone!

Hi, Leave the forum alone. I like it as is. I never use the search feature, because I'm not searching for anything special. I just read the topics that pop up every day and learn from what has been said from the start of the topic. If you don't want to answer an age old question, then don't. What [ficticious] Joe said three years ago about his refrigerator might not help me with my two year old trailer and what Joe said three years ago may have a better / updated answer today. Maybe once a year, reorganize all the posts and print them in book form and add that book for another $10.00 to the purchase of the AIR decals. I don't always spell everything correctly; If that person asks for help, help them. We are not all college professors. [I think I spelled that wrong] This forum has the power of all the knowledge, experience, and talents of a vast array of people and the ability to teach those not too familiar with certain topics. And a lot of this knowledge has difference of opinion. That's what makes it more interesting.
Enjoy the forum and don't condemn someone because they are less informed than you.

Bob
Old 09-17-2006, 12:18 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Wow.