ID:	5275  

Old 07-09-2004, 05:07 PM   #58
Dan&Barb 25'Safari FB/SE

2006 25' Safari FB SE
La Mesa , California
Testing....new to forum & mac laptop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-79MH
If you want to attach a single picture to your post, you have to "prepare" the picture, prior to trying it.
If you don't, you will experience the frustration of loosing everything you just typed, after you hit submit.
the software just tells you the image is to large and punishes you with erasing everything you typed, when you hit the back button.
The problem starts with digital pictures. Often they are saved at a pixel size of 1280x960.
Way too big.
Load the picture in your favorite photo program.
Find the 'edit' (or image in photoshop) on the top of your window. you should see 'edit image size' or similar.
A window will open showing you the byte size, like 1280x960. Another common size is 640x480.
Still too big. The max is 600x450.
In some programs the height changes as you change the width. If not enter it yourself.
600x450 is still a large picture and takes longer for the viewer to load, but it works.
Try 400x300 or 200x150, if you wish.
Now save the image as xxxxx-medium.jpg or xxxxx-small.jpg, whatever applies.
All you need to remember now, is where you saved the image.
Try not to save it to Desktop, since you will not find it again.
Now you are ready to write your post and hit the browse button to attach a file.
Attention Netscape users:
After hitting browse, you have to change
Files of Type
on the buttom of the new window to 'All files' in order to see jpg's, gif's etc.
Great thread, when your new to forum and have a new laptop you need all the help you can get. From here I will tackle creating avatar....hope there's some posts on that around here too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Barb&Ernie NorthBeach, San Diego.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	7613  

Old 07-10-2004, 08:43 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-79MH
A window will open showing you the byte size, like 1280x960. Another common size is 640x480.
Still too big. The max is 600x450.
I believe the max pixel size is actually 640x480 and can not exceed 100KB. I've had no problem uploading photos of this size. Joe
Old 07-10-2004, 07:38 PM   #60
Dan&Barb 25'Safari FB/SE

2006 25' Safari FB SE
La Mesa , California
still can't get the size right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingspider
I believe the max pixel size is actually 640x480 and can not exceed 100KB. I've had no problem uploading photos of this size. Joe
Thanks Joe,

I did try to enlarge my image as there is more area to fill, but when I resize to 600x 450 my file size is 791k, too big. The image in last post saved at 400x300 is 352k but was accepted. Both were saved at 180 resolution in Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 which I am still learning and works better with Macs. Paint Shop Pro would work through pc emulator but would like to figure out in this program.

Any ideas much appreciated, what resolution is the lowest that would still give a good result? I don't want to keep testing as there will be 10 pics of me and Ernie!
Old 07-10-2004, 09:52 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaStreamin
Thanks Joe,

I did try to enlarge my image as there is more area to fill, but when I resize to 600x 450 my file size is 791k, too big. The image in last post saved at 400x300 is 352k but was accepted. Both were saved at 180 resolution in Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 which I am still learning and works better with Macs. Paint Shop Pro would work through pc emulator but would like to figure out in this program.

Any ideas much appreciated, what resolution is the lowest that would still give a good result? I don't want to keep testing as there will be 10 pics of me and Ernie!
Your file size on the last posted picture is approximately 62KB. Well within limits. Why don't you try going back to the original picture and reduce it to 640x480 and set the file size at about medium. If you have photoshop you should be fine. Then try to post again. Joe
Old 07-11-2004, 04:28 PM   #62
Dan&Barb 25'Safari FB/SE

2006 25' Safari FB SE
La Mesa , California
here goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingspider
Your file size on the last posted picture is approximately 62KB. Well within limits. Why don't you try going back to the original picture and reduce it to 640x480 and set the file size at about medium. If you have photoshop you should be fine. Then try to post again. Joe
After much trial and error (errors mainly) image was "saved for web" which at least gives me actual file size (was using pixel dimension before..dah) while selecting best quality/compression during preview.
No guessing here, I just hope it works and isn't grainy.
Original image size is 1.2mg, this is sized to 640x480 compressed to 100k file size.

Hope this works, and thanks for all your imput
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	7666  
Old 12-04-2004, 10:44 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

Hi John: New user - how do I open thumbnails in a post? James