Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #81
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Did I miss something?

The recent off-topic ideas are great, and our digressions are partly because AM did not provide enough detail for knowledgeable Airstreamers to evaluate their “Scout concept trailer.” I believe there could be a market for a trailer with the materials and design innovations use in that prototype. My feedback and comments were submitted in their survey.

But AM provided few specifications, little about price and too much on extra features. It was not targeted well for the pragmatic Airforums.com audience. Its difficult to create survey questions to get accurate or unbiased answers, and avoid gaming the survey. Ask someone hypothetically what they want, and as in the 4th grader example, they will say they want everything and want it at the lowest possible price.

They need opinions from various sources to determine the Scout’s sales potential. How can we evaluate the merits of any concept without knowing the specifications and estimated price of the whole package?
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #82
Rivet Master

Actually.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
I thought of this myself. Put the new technology and materials in a fiberglass bullet shape. Try a limited production, but keep the traditional Airstream shape rather than go with a historic, non-Airstream shape and see how it goes. Maybe go with an off-white color or even a silver color like the Star-stream did (even they wanted to capitalize on the reputation and concept of the Airstream), but not the canned ham shape.
Wally did make a Canned ham called The Holiday, ( I don't think marketed as an Airstream tho ) That's why I told Airstream Marketing guy , that they should call The Sport, The Holiday (Reissue ) instead.

On a side note, the Basecamp looked very much like Wallys
early trailer called The Torpedo ( which might have been actually sold as a kit. ) Maybe they will reissue the Clipper.
Dave
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:07 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
As a 38-year old who owns a Honda Odyssey, and has absolutely no desire to buy a larger vehicle for towing, I strongly encourage AS to build the Scout or a similar trailer.

I own a T@B now, which has similar sidewall construction. I love the trailer, but as I'm learning now (I'm doing a five-week trip with it now), I would like a few more amenities. A wardrobe would be nice, as would a small bathroom. (Don't need a dry bath - campgrounds have showers.) A second seating area would be good too for when one of us wakes up early.

But I want to keep what is damn awesome about the trailer: surge brakes are simple to deal with. I don't want to put up with weight distribution hitches. I love having a near-king-size wide bed. And it's really light.

Now I've looked at Bambis. A 2001 16' that I found had a rotting floor. I found a used 2004 that sold almost immediately at $23k. Bluntly, I've got better things to do with $40k than buy a new Bambi CCD, and the Basecamp was way too Spartan and empty. There is plenty of competition in retro small trailers, but none have terrific interior quality (although the T@B is pretty decent.)

In other words: as much as I hate the idea of buying a new (read: depreciating) RV, I'd be at the head of the line for an all-composite Scout with a queen-sized bed for $25k. I don't care what you call it - just build it.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
One additional thing: AS has to be careful with the pricing. I know they're going on about "advanced materials," but Trailmanor is managing a 2500 lb 24' trailer for $25k with similar construction. (Too bad it's not an attractive trailer.) Plus there are plenty of cheap, cute, and small trailers popping up out there.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #85
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I think the goal of a 2000# two wheeled trailer trailer that sleeps 2+ with those features is awesome.

The exterior design may be an issue in the showroon of an Airstrem dealer.

I did take the survey.

Action
Old 06-06-2009, 09:17 AM   #86
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
I'd be at the head of the line for an all-composite Scout with a queen-sized bed for $25k. I don't care what you call it - just build it.

Tom
The Queen size bed is on our wish list too. We have a King at home and going from that to a dinky double in our 23' is a huge down side. We considered gutting and re doing our 23' with a big bed in the rear but no time for that at the moment.

The top of our wish list would include a bathroom, queen bed, and easy tow (aerodynamics are more important than lighter weight).
Old 06-06-2009, 09:24 AM   #87
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Since the Scout does not have the aerodynamics of a silver bullet, it might not be easy to tow. Does Airstream or Thor test their vehicles in a wind tunnel to determine coefficient of drag?

In my opinion this thread has become dull since we were told not to offend Airstream.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:56 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
This may be what Airstream and customers want and need. I like it and in the "canned ham" shape. It can't be any harder to tow than all the tens of thousands of canned hams that came before it. I think this could replace the niche left by Bigfoot closing.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:30 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
On one level, this thread is asking, "Would you buy a Scout?" And perhaps, "If not, what modifications to the Scout--if any--would prompt you to buy one?"

The Airforums represent a market of "most likely purchasers." Many of us own Airstreams. Some own more than one. The owners who participate in the forum are more likely to buy a new Airstream product than the average RV buyer.

Would my wife and I buy a Scout, as presented? No. And I doubt any "tweaks" to the prototype would change our minds.

I would rather spend $40k making a vintage Airstream "perfect" for us than spend $20 to $30k on a eco-canned ham carrying the Airstream logo. What strikes me about this thread is how much it resembles other threads where die-hard users talk about what they want in an Airstream... lighter construction, superior materials, impeccable 'fit and finish', large and comfortable beds, solid towing performance, etc. To me, the Scout idea feels derivative and bit "gimmicky." It feels more like an idea to sell a few retro coaches rather than a serious attempt to restore the brand. The real feedback from this thread is that even with the loyal Airstream enthusiasts, the brand has weakened. Gene's invocation of Mercedes Benz is apt. He was also accurate when he noted that it isn't as interesting when everyone is behaving.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #90
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
The Bottom Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream Marketing View Post
We literally are gathering info to gauge the interest level of the Scout and only the Scout.
Anything else is incidental.
Well, if that is your one and only quest, I think you have had your answer:

"Interesting, but not an Airstream. No, it's not worthy of the name, I would not buy it."

Hope that's clear enough. Guess it's back to the committees for you now, Number 2, but thanks for dropping 'round.

Be seeing you
Old 06-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #91
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The last time Airstream had a survey, it didn't seem to work out all that well either and there were many responses about QC. Lotta good it did. They hired a survey company and that's probably what they did this time.

Try this: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...vey-36875.html

Gene
Old 06-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #92
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hawthorne , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream Marketing View Post
We are please to announce the Scout concept trailer and would like to hear your thoughts on this product in our survey located at this link.
Last I checked, the survey is what they wanted use to use give our thoughts on the Scout. On the other hand, this forum is for us to discuss how we feel about about AS requesting us to fill out the survey and other tangential issues. The way I see it, there are 3 separate issues:

1. Forget who makes it, how do people feel about the Scout? How does it compare to other small trailers like the T@B and T@DA. Personally I am not in the market for such a small trailer and I am not that excited about it.

2. How does the Scout fit into the AS portfolio? The other AS products (Classic, Flying Cloud, PanAmerican, etc.) all have similar characteristics and evoke the same feeling. The Scout on the other hand seems like a product that should belong in a different family (perhaps with the T@B). I think some of the people who love AS feel so strongly about this is that it seems like this is diluting the brand a little. The other concern is that they are trying to use AS's good name to move a trailer not worthy of AS. One possible compromise may be to create a new brand "XXX by Airstream" similar to the "Courtyard by Marriott" brand. Maybe they can call it "Retro by Airstream".

3. Is this the best use of AS's resources? Between the corosion issues and the general QC issues, many of us are concerned that AS should be spending it's time and money getting the quality to where a luxury company should be.

I think all 3 of these issues are legitimate conversation for this thread. I vote +1 for Gene being uncensored
user497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #93
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
Dude ( who didn't leave his name lol ) THAT is the way.......we roll.

Sir ( who didn't leave his name) I need to know....did you like Airstreams before or after you went to work for them? I think you are lucky either way. I want to be you, when I grow up. Thumbs up and all of that good stuff. Dave ( who left his name, obviously) ( ok I'll stop )
Dave, please don't forget we are trying to foster a friendly community here. I don't think your posts gives Airstream a realistic impression of who are members really are. Most are very respectful and welcoming. Your post is a good example of why I get the cold shoulder when going to Jackson Center when trying to get them to work with us more often. Thanks for helping me (and our community out) with your considerate comments.

To set the record straight:

Airstream approached me about posting to solicit information on the forums and I pulled up the old Airstream Marketing account that they setup a few years ago for them to use. This account is not intended as one person (guy or gal) and he/she is not trying to hide his/her name. The account simply represents an account to post under when they want to post some info here that's related to marketing or research. There is no conspiracy theory going on. Maybe you can figure out why the age is 72?

I'd like to request that you all please keep threads on topic. Please don't forget we have a community rule stating "Stay on topic by keeping discussions relevant and on track." If you want to start another thread on quality control, co-branding or other innovation ideas feel free but this thread is about the Scout, please keep it on topic or we'll close this thread so we can move on.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #94
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Kearney , Missouri
I agree with the comment made above. If they are looking to make a smaller trailer and cut the weight why not go back to the pre 1969 dimensions. I think if they hit the right price point and kept the tandem axle it would be a success.
64Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:44 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
More Pictures

Thanks to Airstream Life.

Airstream Scout prototype
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:18 AM   #96
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle View Post
Thanks to Airstream Life.

Airstream Scout prototype
Thanks for those!

That goes back to the day of Wally Bynam's Holiday trailer, which IIRC was the first thing he built. They are very much sought after and quite rare from what I recall.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #97
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I was glad to see the A/S Life photos. The interior has some possibilities for designs. The cushions look like they have plastic covers or are some material that sticks to your skin. I saw a bench seat with a cabinet over one end which would mean only one adult could sit on it.

Since the photos kept changing as I tried to study them it was hard to really focus. I wanted to figure out what was on the walls. The kitchen cabinet seemed to have that same fake wood surface that we have on the partitions in our trailer.

I think some serious thinking has to happen at Airstream about the surface treatments in this prototype (and other trailers if it's permissible to say that). A lot here looks cold and uninviting instead of warm and inviting. Real wood is warm, but heavy. Aluminum is cold, but bright and iconic, so it works inside. It has to be softened by other surfaces and colors. Cabinets made of MDF can have any number of surfaces, but the usual shiny ones seem cold and don't blend with necessary hard surfaces (sinks, appliances, aluminum). They can be painted in warmer and less in-your-face colors.

Gene
Old 06-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #98
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
unless it looks like a iconic silver bullet, I am afraid it will be like the Base Camp with a too small of a market to justify production.
Agreed, just like the "B" van and the fibreglass mo/hos.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #99
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
And the original AS MH weren't distained by the real AS owners who thought "trailers only". Many still feel that MH aren't real AS. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:43 PM   #100
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Since the photos kept changing as I tried to study them it was hard to really focus. I wanted to figure out what was on the walls. ...
Gene
Gene, hover your mouse over the lower portion of the photo screen and a film strip will pop up. At the left end of the film strip is a pause icon. Click on that and you will be able to select the individual photos to view for as long as you want and you can scroll through the photos with the previous and next buttons above the photo. Hope this helps.

BTW, I agree re: the vinyl cushion covers. When using the dinette as a bed it would be very hot in the summer and, while retro, looks kind of cheep these days. I think a retro look fabric would be better, similar to the green fabric that was original to the 30' Safari in 2005.

After reviewing the floor plan, it is virtually identical to a Shasta floor plan I toured at the South Atlanta RV show in April in Hampton, GA.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote