Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Airstream Scout Concept Vehicle

Dear AIR Forums Members,

It's with great pleasure that we look to the future, especially in times like these where technological changes are not only allowing us to build lighter trailers but also allowing us to communicate with you all through the forums and collect information through web based surveys. We are please to announce the Scout concept trailer and would like to hear your thoughts on this product in our survey located at this link. This is an excellent opportunity weigh in on product development, we look forward to your feedback.
Meet Airstream's latest innovation…the Scout concept trailer.

Highly advanced design tools, liberal use of advanced composites and assembly methods have fused to create a vision of the RV of the future. The result of a collaboration with noted automotive designer Bryan Thompson, the Scout is an experiment in pushing the boundaries of lightweight design while showcasing Airstream's signature style and cutting edge engineering.

Tipping the scales at just over 2,000 pounds, the Scout concept is the first travel trailer of its kind to achieve a truly breakthrough lightness without sacrificing the full feature amenities typically eliminated by other so-called "lightweights".

Learn more about the Scout and take a survey please visit this page on the Airstream website.

Regards,

Airstream Marketing
flackfizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
That's exciting, we appreciate Airstream, Inc. coming to the forums to get feedback on this new innovative product. I know I can speak for most of our members that we appreciate your soliciting our input. I'd like to encourage all our members to take a few moments to fill in the survey (link). This is our chance to give back to the Mother Ship on new product development, go take the survey today!
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
In these days of Greener being the buzz word and with the President announcing yesterday that GM would begin making lighter, more fuel efficient vehicles and the requirements for higher C.A.F.E. standards looming overhead resulting in less powerful tow vehicles, it is wonderful to see the RV industry, I speak specifically to our mother ship Airstream in this, is willing to take a proactive approach to the future need for lighter towables.

I had the distinct pleasure of touring a fully restored 1955 Wally Byam Holiday two weeks ago at a forums rally in N. Georgia and thought the trailer was an excellent example of Wally's dedication to quality and desire to produce an entry level travel trailer with as many of the comforts that Airstream is/was known for at the time as possible. I commend Airstream for revisiting the past and looking at the same kind of concept again. Having said all of this, I must say that, while the Scout looks a lot like the Wally Byam Holiday, it doesn't really look like an Airstream and any one not familiar with Airstreams and Airstream's rich history in the first place wouldn't have a clue that this was an Airstream product if they saw it in the campsite next to them. I'd love to see this thinking carried over to a "Silver Bullet" trailer, but I don't think there is going to be much of a market for the Scout in this "canned ham" version as there was a very limited production run of the Wally Byam Holiday and, while hundreds more were sold, there was a somewhat limited market for the Argosys of the '70's and 80's. If these techniques could be transferred effectively to the traditionally shaped Airstream, you would be improving on an already classic design that has had a reputation for economic towing (the shape that reduces drag and need for horse power by 30% per Airstream marketing for the last 40 or so years) and would further cement Airstream's status as the most green RV available in the U.S. Also, should Airstream ever wish to get back into the drivable market, a hybrid power plant would be a good place to start.

Kudos for thinking ahead and producing a concept to explore ways a travel trailer can be made lighter using state of the art and readily available products and materials, but unless it looks like a iconic silver bullet, I am afraid it will be like the Base Camp with a too small of a market to justify production.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
What's the frontal area measurement in sq/ft? Also, description of suspension/brakes would be appreciated.

It is a very good-looking trailer.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
New Scout!

*****Wow! What a design! Lightweight and forward thinking design are included in this new concept! Great to see that Airstream is looking to the future with new ideas and based on historic lessons in use and function. A real great looking coach. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
I just took your survey. There a couple of functions that don't seem to work right. Check the "other outdoor activities" portion.

The (really) good: Way cool design. Looks good and hopefully the systems are tight. Lightweight is great. Glad to see Airstream here on these forums. This is the biggest thing on the internet Airstream related.

The (not so) bad: Too pricey. I would think that Airstream could come up with a design that costs less than the vehicle intended to tow it. Who is your target demographic? It sleeps only two adults, right? Understandable for the size, but that takes me back to price. "Green" and "technologically advanced" don't mean much if you can't afford to buy it. Remember, it's a camper, not a fighter jet.

Just my 2 cents.

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
how much is it?

it's perfect for us - two adults, one kid. i'd like to see a pic of the 'bench' at the front they mention. but... i really really love my 3/4 ton truck, can i tow it with that?
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I chuckled to myself when I looked at the picture and read the press release: why does the future look so much like the distant past?

This is the type of trailer ("stick and tin") that Wally left behind when he brought out his now-famous shape in trailers, isn't it?

Sorry, unless there's a lot I missing, I just don't get it.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:14 PM   #9
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Nice! I love the step The return to tambour under the sink is also a very styly choice.

When we were first considering buying a trailer and looking through white box after white box, I kept asking the sales people for something like this. Kudos for putting one together.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #10
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I wonder if they wouldn't be better off pulling out some of the designs from the old narrow bodies out and re-issue some of them updated with newer components. The vintage units are light and they have the distinctive Airstream look- that thing has a distinctive Hormel look.

If they could put out a new model of, say the Trade Wind, in the $30K range, I think they might do some good.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Cool Beans. I'm not going to ask how much as I enjoy the challenge of rebuilding (I'm cheap and lower middle class) But if I bought new this one would be in the running. Other design throwbacks would be cool, no doubt. But I kind of like Hormel anyway. SPAM lives forever.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
la mesa , California
One of my favorite floor plans is the 16' CCD with the permanent
rear bed and front dinette. This allows someone to relax ( napping or
TV watching ) while anyone can be at the dinette. Separate areas day or
night. Just like home.
Ron Edwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Very interesting...

Nice to see you are thinking outside the box or maybe the bullet....is it possible to put the insides into a traditional Airstream shape at that weight? pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:38 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Airstream Scout Concept Vehicle

My immediate reaction was that this coach combines two earlier approaches to mid-priced entry level coaches -- the basic economy possible with the "canned ham" construction methodologies (Byam Holiday) and the use of selected sophisticated materials to save weight (Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre). I do, however, wonder whether there would be enough of an audience in the likely price range to secure a market spot -- as a "niche" vehicle, it is attractive, but how many would be ready to pay the entry premium?

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #15
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
It's great to see the factory interacting with probably the most focused group of Airstream product owners around... the members here! Welcome!

It's also great to see some real design innovation. It sounds like some real R&D time was spent on materials, equipment, design, and layout on the Scout prototype. Well done!

I hope many of our members give you the valuable feedback you're seeking. I already did the survey!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Nice! I love the step The return to tambour under the sink is also a very styly choice.

When we were first considering buying a trailer and looking through white box after white box, I kept asking the sales people for something like this. Kudos for putting one together.
My wife liked the steps too and wants to know how we can get a set for our coaches.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I'm not feeling it. Don't get me wrong... I think lightweight, eco-friendly, modern materials, etc., are good things. As noted here, however, the design is fairly derivative of the "canned ham" trailers. I also agree with the Base Camp observation. I just don't think the potential market for a retro-looking, "green," micro-trailer with a sticker over $30k is that big.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #18
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Welcome to the Forum. I appreciate the quest for feedback, though I'm not sure you are going to like everything you hear. I looked through the survey and noticed in the questions about what you look for in an RV, quality and reliability were not included. I consider this an indication of Airstream not being concerned with these issues, something that many Forum members are concerned with. If you follow some threads, many potential buyers have decided not to buy a new Airstream because of QC issues and will be looking for an older one or another brand.

It's nice the company is looking at a green trailer and a lightweight trailer. However, applying this technology to the classic style that has made Airstream successful would be a better way to go. Or you could simply market the European trailer—narrower, lighter, thicker window glass for bad weather, hot water heat. That would a more cost effective way to go. Composites can be used in an aluminum clad trailer—certainly better insulation practices are available now, but you continue to use fiberglass. Others are offering thermopane windows—why isn't Airstream?

This is a nice enough exterior design, but hasn't it been done over and over? That doesn't mean it can't find a market, but what sells Airstreams is the classic exterior plus the reputation for a long lasting, premium trailer. Why will people buy something that doesn't look like an Airstream? With an average or below average reliability now, the company should be working on quality control, updating interior designs (we like the aluminum interior, but the partitions look like they have contact paper on them), coping with the computer age (a place for laptop, printer, other such gear, perhaps a satellite provider for TV and computer), fixing screwy things that persist (poorly placed water pump, wires under propane cover, for ex.), owning up on corrosion. And reduce prices, not increase them.

Your core brand is the classic Airstream and that's where you are weak. Re-do that instead of wasting time and money on a different line. You would be competing with the Bambi. I wonder how that would work out? This may be as successful as the Basecamp, maybe even less so.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Humm, A quote from the Airstream website:
"The Airstream philosophy has always been and will always be, " Let's not make any changes — let's make only improvements!"

Maybe the Scout could be an improvement but I would say it qualifies as a change in shape. Don't you?
I like the sausage look over the canned ham!
Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I see this as a great chance to provide 'field' input...

It's not often that a Manufacturer asks for customer input in such a public manner...

Take a few minutes and take their survey, I did, and used the 'comments' area to toss in a few thoughts, as well...

Thor know's not to screw up a good thing, don't they...???