3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
I also was one of the lucky 50, pays to be retired and online all day

Old 06-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #115
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I was the first to respond to this thread (after AndyR) and immediately took the survey. I haven't received the email, but haven't received a book either. What gives?
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #116
3 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
Corpus Christi , Texas
"Tipping the scales at just over 2,000 pounds, I will take my 18' Globester over the Scout!"
Old 06-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Me Too!!!

I was also fortunate to get the e-mail and be offered the coffee table book! Now if I can make up an appropriate table to display it on in my trailer. Thanks AS Marketing, I am awaiting that delivery!!!! Ed
AIR#7110

"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat!
When I looked at the tire... I noticed your CAT!"
Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:28 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
I knew nothing!

Hi, until tonight when I recieved an E-mail, I didn't know anything about the first 50 to respond deal. So I don't qualify for the free book. But a few years back, if you went to your local Airstream dealer with a letter that they mailed to you, and looked at the new model trailers, this same book would be mailed to you; So I got the free book anyhow.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:20 PM   #119
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
Can I get that In a 34ft, under 4000lbs!!!
Old 06-13-2009, 07:24 AM   #120
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream Marketing View Post
Dear AIR Forums Members,
We are please to announce the Scout concept trailer and would like to hear your thoughts on this product in our survey located at this link. This is an excellent opportunity weigh in on product development, we look forward to your feedback. Meet Airstream's latest innovation…the Scout concept trailer.

Learn more about the Scout and take a survey please visit this page on the Airstream website.

Regards,
Airstream Marketing
Neato cool. Y'all ought to add some wings to the back corners just above the rear side windows... maybe even with some red LED lighting to highlight the retro-look. Whitewalls are a nice touch...
WBCCI 7005 * AIR 9218

The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:09 AM   #121
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Two Separate Issues

Seems to me that the Scout presents two discrete sets of issues: weight / size and design / style. (Put aside stuff like past and current quality of build and other things that have been flogged a lot here ... this is just about the Scout.)

Weight / size: It's a certainty that the folks (and I'm one of them) who tow with a 3/4 ton truck are going to be a ever-shrinking minority in the future. Fuel costs and availability, etc. are going to drive tow machines smaller and more efficient. It's already happening: look at Sprinters. I spend a lot of time in Europe, where my diesel Passat is considered a larger car ... that's where the future is. So towing a 10,000 lb + trailer with three slideouts and a huge plasma tv is eventually going to become a thing of the past. Look at our Canadian friends, - who get a lot of flack on the Forums - in some ways they are way ahead of us. They tend to tow with much smaller vehicles than we U.S. profligate fuel guzzlers do. What this means to me is that RVs MUST get smaller, lighter, and more efficient - at least for the future mainstream buyers. Thor undoubtedly sees this also. 34 Footers probably are selling not so well right now, and at some future point will be dinosaurs. Unfortunate, but it's gotta' go there. Looks to me as if you can tow this Scout with most anything with an engine (okay, maybe not with my wife's Smart Car or a Trabant). I'm assuming that it's got good brakes, axles, balance, etc. Also, family sizes are changing, albeit slowly. You don't see too many Ozzie and Harriet families out there camping any more with five kids. There are a lot of younger, smaller families and couples. They want to travel light, travel efficiently, and not spend all the family capital in uncertain times to do it. This machine would do that just fine for a couple. So to me, the Scout, in the 2,000 lb range is well positioned to meet the market, once the market gets there. WHEN the market gets there is another question - if fuel prices go up and stay up, then soon. If fuel prices stay low, it might be a while.

Design / style The interior has all the earmarks of recent Airstream styling and design. It's not what the traditionalists want to see and it's not my cup of tea especially, but it's also not CCD. I personally think it's pretty spiffy, and certainly not very retro. It's got a lot in not much volume - and that has to help with sales. The exterior has that retro look, but with some obvious "updates." Seems to me that there is some disconnect between the interior and exterior on a retro/modern axis. "But is it an Airstream?" - are we shiny twinkie owners afraid of losing our precious identity to a Scout? I don't think that will happen. So long as folks keep restoring older Airstreams, the traditional shape(s) will be an icon that lives on and on. If I were the marketing group, I'd think hard about diluting my brand with something that looks that different, and I might choose a different name, but it's not my company. If it were, I'd have stuck with a smaller product line and focused ALL my extra energies on build quality. I'm assuming that the Scout has stress skin panels or other lightweight laminates, in order to reduce labor on riveting while upping rigidity, etc. IF it holds up over long distances and rough roads, and IF the build quality is there, it could help re-establish the premium branding position that Airstream has traditionally had.

I do think it's a great idea to have an "open house" at Jackson Center to let Forum members give it a very close look and to give Thor feedback. Maybe they plan to do this at Madison? There is a lot unknown about this prototype machine, but one "known" is that this Forum is filled with folks who tout the brand, and some who know everything there is to know about Airstream trailers past and present. Can that be leveraged for future designs and sales? I'd sure give it a try - Thor's got nothing to lose but a little time.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Weight vs shape.
One reason I went with an airstream originally was the aerodynamic shape. I noticed a big difference from the git-go between my SOB and my Safari with similarly weighted trailers, pulling with an underpowered vehicle.

You mention high Tech constuction materials.
What is the construction type? Are the interior ribs metal? Or are they wood 2x2 studs that dry rot? That is the other main reason that I switched to Airstream. My SOB had no more good wood to attach the siding to.

Would a Scout sell? I don't know - it might. The ideas are not all bad.
Would I be interested in one? Nope.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #123
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Has anybody looked at the Forest River R Pod (R-Pod Ultra Lite Travel Trailer by Forest River)

Aluminum framed, just over 2000# and under $1500. (http://www.rv-max.com/new_vehicle_in...&submit=Search)
Old 06-13-2009, 06:03 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmickle View Post
Has anybody looked at the Forest River R Pod (R-Pod Ultra Lite Travel Trailer by Forest River)

Aluminum framed, just over 2000# and under $1500. (http://www.rv-max.com/new_vehicle_in...&submit=Search)
Was that supposed to read under $15,ooo?
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:07 PM   #125
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmickle View Post

Love the r-dome Awning with Screen Room!!!!
DIMMER
Old 06-14-2009, 10:28 AM   #126
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt View Post
Was that supposed to read under $15,000?
Of course.