Old 06-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #57
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I like the Scout and it's concept. I think that Airstream should do it. I would love to see them on the road.

Brian
Under another name; it's not a Airstream, just like the plastic mo/ho were not
Airstreams. Bring them on, for whatever purpose; I'd never buy one. Wally would be turning over.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:42 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
First of all, AM (Airstream Marketing, time for more jargon) claims to be 72, and if so, is the oldest intern on the planet, or if it refers to the age of the department, the department must be younger than the company. But, really, who cares, except Airstream owners who like this kind of arcane detail.

Retro style sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. The Mini Cooper is a successful example as is Mission Oak furniture and Arts and Crafts houses. Art Deco has a following too. What is interesting to me is that the Airstream is to some degree an Art Deco item. Following up with Art Deco interiors is where the company has missed the boat. It seems to me that people who are attracted to the silver bullet styling would find more Art Deco appointments attractive. The partitions in my trailer look like they are covered in 1960's contact paper. I guess that's retro, but an example of retro that doesn't work.

Another styling approach is to go western. I made this recommendation to the company before, but I guess they weren't ready for it. Put a Pendleton bedspread on the bed and Pendleton fabrics on the cushions (much better quality cloth than that used by Airstream now, another quality issue). To pursue an alliance with Pendleton, another company with a long standing positive reputation, would be good marketing.

I don't understand AM's comment that the European model is narrower and feels smaller. Of course it feels smaller because it is. The point is smaller is lighter and the European design might be a way to go in the US and Canada so you can tow with a smaller vehicle—and development costs are very small because you already make them.

Not really what you asked about, AM, but it follows my advice to improve your core brand.

Gene

Old 06-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #59
Vintage Kin

Corpus Christi , Texas
There is yet another company that manufactured a luxurious aluminum canned ham. ( Star ....something )

Barth made a handsome squared example.

The point is smaller is lighter and the European design might be a way to go in the US and Canada so you can tow with a smaller vehicle—and development costs are very small because you already make them.

I've corresponded at some length with a lady from Austin looking to retire and use a trailer for several years. Size, ease-of-use, and re-sale value would be of high interest to her. Restoring an old trailer isn't an option (past a certain point). Gene's point about the European models would be right up her alley. There are any number of fit & adventurous older people who will travel lightly AND have an income reasonable to the purchase of an Airstream. But without the trailing ease (and safety IMO) the purchaser looks askance . . where is the trailer that fits?

Avions were once beautiful trailers. I may wind up with an older one as my next home-on-the-road, and happily. But what was done to them was greatly unfortunate: the name applied to generic junk by the 1990's. When I search for an example it is for one with their superior in-house design independent suspension, etc. I cut off search parameters at about 1992, as it all disappeared.

Hampstead38's point is well-advised. I looked for an answer to my earlier questions, and skimmed over what "response" was made so as to not be irritated. I'll further his point by saying that preliminary answers are ordinary & reasonable. We all know that "concept" is only that.

Good luck. Post more pictures, we like good looking trailers around here!
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
What Gene is talking about is co-branding, e.g., Harley Davidson model trucks. Some companies have abused co-branding badly. Others--like Airstream aka Thor--have not capitalized on this concept. Gene is also right in focusing on quality. Slapping a logo on something isn't going to sell it... making it better will. The key to co-branding is vendor relationships that work for everyone. The Pendleton fabric example is great. You can improve the quality of an Airstream, get a superior product at a better price and create a marketing opportunity for both players. I like the idea of small run limited edition Airstreams built on the narrow, lighter Euro model. How about a fly fisherman's Airstream partnered with Orvis? There are many natural relationships between high end, high quality outdoor-focused firms.

Honestly, the Scout idea feels like it came out of a marketing committee.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:53 PM   #61
Vintage Kin

Corpus Christi , Texas

yeah, M.B.A.'s conversant in "perception management".
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #62
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
1959 24' Tradewind
Santa Rosa , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Starstream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
There is yet another company that manufactured a luxurious aluminum canned ham. ( Star ....something )

Barth made a handsome squared example.

The point is smaller is lighter and the European design might be a way to go in the US and Canada so you can tow with a smaller vehicle—and development costs are very small because you already make them.

I've corresponded at some length with a lady from Austin looking to retire and use a trailer for several years. Size, ease-of-use, and re-sale value would be of high interest to her. Restoring an old trailer isn't an option (past a certain point). Gene's point about the European models would be right up her alley. There are any number of fit & adventurous older people who will travel lightly AND have an income reasonable to the purchase of an Airstream. But without the trailing ease (and safety IMO) the purchaser looks askance . . where is the trailer that fits?

Avions were once beautiful trailers. I may wind up with an older one as my next home-on-the-road, and happily. But what was done to them was greatly unfortunate: the name applied to generic junk by the 1990's. When I search for an example it is for one with their superior in-house design independent suspension, etc. I cut off search parameters at about 1992, as it all disappeared.

Hampstead38's point is well-advised. I looked for an answer to my earlier questions, and skimmed over what "response" was made so as to not be irritated. I'll further his point by saying that preliminary answers are ordinary & reasonable. We all know that "concept" is only that.

Good luck. Post more pictures, we like good looking trailers around here!

You were close... just add the stream part.. who knew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SScolors_th.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	81671   Click image for larger version

Name:	SS24QB_ExtSnflwr_thm.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	81672  

Click image for larger version

Name:	StarStream24QB_SideProfile_bronze_th.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	81673  

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:58 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
My opinion.

Hi, I think the Scout is a cute trailer, but it should not bear the name Airstream; It should, and others to follow, be it's own line of trailers simply named Scout. I'm sure if it does make production that there will be at least two larger sizes introduced later. [18' and 20'] Any larger would defeat the purpose of making it in the first place. If they want to have Airstream build it, then they could put a little sticker on it saying it is a product of Airstream such as my trailer states it is a product of Thor. [or something close to that] I'm also concerned that with the size of this trailer and the lack of weight, that a moderate wind could blow it off the highway. [picture a large sail on a small boat] Note: has 40 gallon fresh water tank mounted close to the axle and must be full when traveling for your safety. [I made this up] This trailer should not sale for more than $20,000.00 and dealer profits should be low enough so as to not allow for huge discounts. Fair market value at list price.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:52 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Western , Washington
a harley is not a harley unless it is a 45 degree 'V' twin, HD knew this with the new design bike. an airstream is not an airstream unless it has round edges. both factions are die hard. i love my minuet and super glide,enough said.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:12 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Not sure I agree... There is a huge market for retro looking products. Look at the slew of 40's styled appliances at home shows, retro styling in cars (think PT cruiser). Not everyone can or wants to restore an vintage rig - they want the retro look with modern function and they want to buy it that way.

Exploring the design possibilities of a concept vehicle is a cool idea. Figuring out how or if to market it is a separate issue however. It will be interesting to see where this goes and I'm thrilled to be asked for an opinion.
caveat: remember the old adage about opinions

You brought up a good point that made me rethink the whole idea. I still don't like the concept trailer in the picture, but if Airstream would make a new retro trailer like the old ones that can be polished to a brilliant shine, now that is a trailer I would be interested in buying. Those type of old trailers are beautiful. Ya, lets see a narrow body bright polished unit that when it is seen on the road no one will mistake it for some Indiana stick trailer painted a gray color.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:22 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
What Gene is talking about is co-branding, e.g., Harley Davidson model trucks. Some companies have abused co-branding badly. Others--like Airstream aka Thor--have not capitalized on this concept. Gene is also right in focusing on quality. Slapping a logo on something isn't going to sell it... making it better will. The key to co-branding is vendor relationships that work for everyone. The Pendleton fabric example is great. You can improve the quality of an Airstream, get a superior product at a better price and create a marketing opportunity for both players. I like the idea of small run limited edition Airstreams built on the narrow, lighter Euro model. How about a fly fisherman's Airstream partnered with Orvis? There are many natural relationships between high end, high quality outdoor-focused firms.

I too am on board with co-branding and I think Airstream has done it before in the Quicksilver, CCD (Christopher C Deam), DWR (Design Within Reach), and their latest pairing with Victorinox (the makers of Swiss Army Knife products). I don't know that their first two match ups were mainstream enough. Truth be told, I knew nothing of Christopher C. Deam or Design Within Reach until I saw the Airstreams and it would not induce me to purchase one of them or their mates products, but then again that's just me. Now the Victorinox union is a bit more in line with the zeitgeist and might strike a chord with the buying public. I like the Orvis pairing and since we are spit balling how about L.L. Bean, Eddie Bauer, or Cabela's. All companies that go hand in hand with outdoors and camping.

I would love to see a Harley Davidson Airstream Pan America 34 footer, being pulled by the Harley Davidson Ford Then I could take my Ultra Classic along with us.
TAC PA-3
AIR #14487
WBCCI #7429
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:45 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1962 24' Tradewind
Vincennes , Indiana
The only thing missing from this thread are

Pix of the 1936 20' Clipper!!!

Godspeed,
Trent
TV4: 2005 Dodge 3500, 478,000 miles, 4spd auto
"Too much of what I once knew I now know not" Me
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:57 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
A couple of years ago, a snow load collapsed a shelter holding a 1954 12' Casita that I was in the process of restoring. We called if Ralphie as the interior was redone with Ralph Lauren materials and style (co-branding?). It was a trailer we used and had been in the extended family since it was purchased new.

Rather than buy another project or a restored "canned ham", we purchased an '09 t@b that went out the door for a hair under $14,000. Why would Airstream even consider the Scout as a viable entry in the travel trailer market when Thor already has the t@b and t@da? I've had a bunch of RV's over the years and the top three quality wise include the t@b as #1 and then a Featherlite 5th wheel car hauler with living quarters and the '06 Safari SE is in the third spot.

Instead of diluting the Airstream brand, marketing guy should take a look at expanding the cache of the t@b and t@da.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:23 AM   #69
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy_hollow View Post
PS. I think the big broohahah will be the cranks at the WBCCI talking about weather or not to allow it in
Its already pre-approved! IIRC, the new rule states that if its got hard sides, and is made by airstream, its "in".
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #70
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Ok,
I'll Bite on this thread.
I would rather see Airstream make a slide up than the dis-continued slide outs.

I see a lot of those type of trailers on the road. Much less wind resistance while towing. Of course using the bathroom in the trailer could be a problem at a rest stop.
Converting the current shell would not be that difficult. Splint it at the mid-line run a rib around the girth and you have two seperate structural pieces.The top would have to be bigger than the bottom and keeping the thing water proof would be the big challenge. Bot I would rather see a squashed AS than an un-recoginizeable one.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote