Old 06-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #15
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
It's great to see the factory interacting with probably the most focused group of Airstream product owners around... the members here! Welcome!

It's also great to see some real design innovation. It sounds like some real R&D time was spent on materials, equipment, design, and layout on the Scout prototype. Well done!

I hope many of our members give you the valuable feedback you're seeking. I already did the survey!

Roger

Old 06-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Nice! I love the step The return to tambour under the sink is also a very styly choice.

When we were first considering buying a trailer and looking through white box after white box, I kept asking the sales people for something like this. Kudos for putting one together.
My wife liked the steps too and wants to know how we can get a set for our coaches.

TAC PA-3
AIR #14487
WBCCI #7429
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
I'm not feeling it. Don't get me wrong... I think lightweight, eco-friendly, modern materials, etc., are good things. As noted here, however, the design is fairly derivative of the "canned ham" trailers. I also agree with the Base Camp observation. I just don't think the potential market for a retro-looking, "green," micro-trailer with a sticker over $30k is that big.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Welcome to the Forum. I appreciate the quest for feedback, though I'm not sure you are going to like everything you hear. I looked through the survey and noticed in the questions about what you look for in an RV, quality and reliability were not included. I consider this an indication of Airstream not being concerned with these issues, something that many Forum members are concerned with. If you follow some threads, many potential buyers have decided not to buy a new Airstream because of QC issues and will be looking for an older one or another brand.

It's nice the company is looking at a green trailer and a lightweight trailer. However, applying this technology to the classic style that has made Airstream successful would be a better way to go. Or you could simply market the European trailer—narrower, lighter, thicker window glass for bad weather, hot water heat. That would a more cost effective way to go. Composites can be used in an aluminum clad trailer—certainly better insulation practices are available now, but you continue to use fiberglass. Others are offering thermopane windows—why isn't Airstream?

This is a nice enough exterior design, but hasn't it been done over and over? That doesn't mean it can't find a market, but what sells Airstreams is the classic exterior plus the reputation for a long lasting, premium trailer. Why will people buy something that doesn't look like an Airstream? With an average or below average reliability now, the company should be working on quality control, updating interior designs (we like the aluminum interior, but the partitions look like they have contact paper on them), coping with the computer age (a place for laptop, printer, other such gear, perhaps a satellite provider for TV and computer), fixing screwy things that persist (poorly placed water pump, wires under propane cover, for ex.), owning up on corrosion. And reduce prices, not increase them.

Your core brand is the classic Airstream and that's where you are weak. Re-do that instead of wasting time and money on a different line. You would be competing with the Bambi. I wonder how that would work out? This may be as successful as the Basecamp, maybe even less so.

Gene
Old 06-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Humm, A quote from the Airstream website:
"The Airstream philosophy has always been and will always be, " Let's not make any changes let's make only improvements!"

Maybe the Scout could be an improvement but I would say it qualifies as a change in shape. Don't you?
I like the sausage look over the canned ham!
Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I see this as a great chance to provide 'field' input...

It's not often that a Manufacturer asks for customer input in such a public manner...

Take a few minutes and take their survey, I did, and used the 'comments' area to toss in a few thoughts, as well...

Thor know's not to screw up a good thing, don't they...???
Old 06-03-2009, 05:16 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hawthorne , New York
65GT beat me to it! Working for a company that puts great emphasis on brands, I think that the Scout should fall under a different brand under the Thor umbrella. The Scout is much more reminiscent of something Earthbound RV (Earthbound RV | Earth Friendly, Lightweight & Innovative Recreational Vehicles | Middlebury Indiana) would build than an Airstream. You can play with the shape a little bit but I would still preserve the feel of an Airstream if you are going to name it an Airstream.

I also share CrawfordGene’s concern over quality. As someone who was planning on buying new until I found out about the quality issues, I can tell you that we are real and you are really losing business. The good news for me is that I will still end up with a nice vintage Airsteam. The bad news for you is that my money will be going into someone else’s pockets.

That being said, I echo everyone else’s comments praising you for asking the feedback from such a dedicated owner (and potential owner) group.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:33 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Looks nice, retro. Some folks will like the traditional design.

The light weight of 2,000lbs (with the traditional frontal area) will probably not tow as well as a heavier, longer, aerodynamic Airstream.

Side note..... Apache made a small camping trailer in the late 50's named "Scout".
Old 06-03-2009, 06:30 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
1967 26' Overlander
Lisle , Illinois
Cool looking coach, but not an Airstream. I have to echo "bring back the older narrow body and floor plans.." The light weight and minimal approach worked. I think that is why there is such a large "vintage" following. Heck if I can scrape the money together I will jump on a brand new addition of my Overlander.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:49 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1936 20' Clipper
Jackson Center , Ohio
AIR Forums Members,
Thanks for all the feedback you've definitely given some great feedback!
We'll look into the radial button issue that was mentioned.

Thanks!

Airstream Marketing.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:29 AM   #25
Rivet Master

It needs a little more silver and an old name

Call it the Holiday. Go retro. That might stop the "It's not an Airstream " I am an Airstreamaholic. But I am looking for a canned ham to use as a guest house. I really like the retro design.

While you are at it, How about an Airstream teardrop? Way under 1000lbs
Way under ten grand. My reasoning is that there might be more people like me. I really only sleep in my trailer, and I cook outside. And I really can't afford a trailer at $40 K. I am considering a teardrop for a long distance road trip. It would be nice for quick overnighters as well.

I think RVs are like tools. You don't just own a hammer. You need a saw,
screw driver, pliers as well. BTW, I have an Argosy 20'. I ( actally my better half) would like a motorhome, a canned ham, and a teardrop to round out my stable. A 34' would be great to park down south for the winter.
I realize that Airstream doesn't want to build product that doesn't sell.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:44 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Its a cute trailer for sure, but I think it will go the way of the Basecamp. IMHO airstream should produce something in the size and shape of the Wee Wind that weighs in the 2K range or less and can be pulled with a smaller tow vehicle. Any new design needs to maintain the "Classic Airstream" aluminum construction using the 2024-T3 alloy with fay surface sealed seams. Airstream should look back to the past to survive the future.

Kip
Old 06-03-2009, 07:49 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Btw

You might want to look at the threads here on the basecamp.
My posts on the basecamp went something like this.

The Basecamp is very very cool. But you could customize a utility trailer
for less than half of the price of a basecamp.

The Basecamp weighs almost as much as my Argosy 20' but it doesn't have a shower, heater, etc.

The Basecamp is very very cool. But it's not a great utility trailer. It's not a great camper. and if you put pontoons on it, it would make a not so great boat. (But I sure would like an Airstream Patio Boat )
Old 06-03-2009, 12:54 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I would like to see Airstream really downsize a trailer to include just a two facing sofas that fold together for a bed, a wardrobe and a small front kitchen with a burner, wash basin and ice chest. No bathroom. Weight < 1000#. Possible light enough to be towed by a Harley Tri-Glide.

I saw this home-made example awhile back on this Forum and thought this would be popular if mass produced. I love this little thing! With Airstream's Hydro-Form process, these shapes could easily be duplicated.

OK Airstream engineers. Here's your challenge : How small and light weight can you guys design a basic bare-boned Silver Bullet for 2 adults? List options (dealer installed) and weights separate for customers who want a little more.

I know you can do it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Little Aluminum Trailer.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	81429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Little Aluminum Trailer 2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	81430  

Click image for larger version