Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2014, 06:02 PM   #21
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
It has worked fine for me.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Havertown , Pennsylvania
Hey Carl--just saw your post & wanted to write back our experience...We rented an AS last June for 2 weeks & loved it (after researching our trip for a yr first).--We rented a 22' Int. (2013) & toured Yellowstone & Tetons.
Anyhow, after we got back, my wife looked at the classifieds ads on a daily basis...over a 4 month period. If there was a model we liked, I usually called the number & asked for more Pics (I believe a seller can only include 6 or 7)---and that was how we "kicked tires" tried to do our "due Diligence", etc. ---but it finally paid off .---So keep at it & if phone # was not included, so be it, --seller mistake or spam. It's logical to think that if legit seller, then a phone # and/or email would have been given.----Like i said above, it is a lengthy process, with a lot of Q & A's ..as you look for your model --Wish you lots of Luck!
Btw, this is my initial post, as I am truly a "newby", but it is very educational, and you learn more each day !!
schafman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by schafman46 View Post
Hey Carl--just saw your post & wanted to write back our experience...We rented an AS last June for 2 weeks & loved it (after researching our trip for a yr first).--We rented a 22' Int. (2013) & toured Yellowstone & Tetons.
Anyhow, after we got back, my wife looked at the classifieds ads on a daily basis...over a 4 month period. If there was a model we liked, I usually called the number & asked for more Pics (I believe a seller can only include 6 or 7)---and that was how we "kicked tires" tried to do our "due Diligence", etc. ---but it finally paid off .---So keep at it & if phone # was not included, so be it, --seller mistake or spam. It's logical to think that if legit seller, then a phone # and/or email would have been given.----Like i said above, it is a lengthy process, with a lot of Q & A's ..as you look for your model --Wish you lots of Luck!
Btw, this is my initial post, as I am truly a "newby", but it is very educational, and you learn more each day !!

was that the rental deal out in vegas, Air2go or something like that.. they include the denali truck and trailer.??

thought about that but wanted to stay east coast.

My inquiry was to someone selling or had listed a brake controller.. not a TT..

but still if you list something make an effort to respond and i do agree you must be a member for at least 60 days before posting.

thanks for all the info.

and thanks to shamrockboat for the info..
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:08 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . not to beat a dead horse, but as we were preparing to drive to Central California to look at a FC 28 my wife wanted & found on RVT, one popped up on forum classified just 7 miles from home. Seller posted his email & phone, so contact was easy & immediate, giving him a cashiers check in person 2 days later sealed the deal. If I ever get my act together to sell the 25, I'll do the same. There are quite a few dealers selling slightly used ASs on RVT. good luck, Craig
Old 12-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Las Vegas , Nevada
I tried finding an AS in the classifieds over the past three months. Found many we were interested in and were willing to travel far to locate the right one. From the nearly 20 ads I contacted I did not receive a single response. Ended up finding a gently used model about 400 miles away on craigslist and it worked out terrific.
canyonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:50 PM   #26

Currently Looking...
West Point , New York
Thank you everybody for your responses. My husband and I are having the same problem, we have contacted no less than five sellers on the site and have not heard back from any of them. I try to be patient, but I know Airstreams can sell fast and we would be awfully bummed to miss out on an opportunity. We are greatly looking forward to joining this community, hopefully somebody will answer before summer is out!
lovefiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:43 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I've checked the ads daily for quite a while, then stopped (bought our MH). Lately I've been checking again and I'm disappointed with some of them. Unfortunately, though, there isn't much else to check if one is interested in an older Airstream.

If you have an ad posted, please look at it with a buyer's eyes. Is your item properly described? If you are selling a coach, do you have the pictures a buyer wants to see? If you can't post all of the pictures (and you probably can't), have you posted a link to a site that does have all of the needed pictures? Have you posted a way to contact you? If so, how often do you check that contact point? If you post a phone number you should answer it immediately OR return a call as soon as possible. If you provide an edress you should be checking it several times a day and answer people as soon as you see the email.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:06 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
I think there should be phone numbers on ads and when a unit sells it should be removed or marked SOLD.. I see units on here for weeks on end knowing they are not available. Will probably not use this classified site when i get ready to buy a unit myself, too many issues and when I have inquired did not get a respond one way or the other , so I am OUT.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:15 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Many forums that have classified adds require that you have a certain number of posts and time as a member. This helps prevent fraud and other abuses. The classifieds should be for bona fide members. Otherwise, what is to separate it from Craigslist?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:07 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I agree something should change but not sure a minimum amount of posts or phone numbers should be mandatory. All inquiries should be answered even if you say you are engaged in a potential sales conversation with a buyer. We responded to several forum adds and never got any responses. We eventually bought one off local Craigslist, very cautiously, and one through forums in which the seller advised through email he was out of country. He advised he would be back in country in a few days and promptly emailed us. After a couple e mails we traded phone numbers and had a couple conversations. We both expressed our hesitation (stranger alert) but brokered a deal. We made arrangements for the next weekend and called that morning as we left home. We brought half earnest money and half cashiers check.

At least a sold slash through the for sale add would work.

Maybe the sellers posting the add need to have one confirmed moderator contact by email before the for sale add can post.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:05 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I've emailed one person about one coach and got a response several days later. Since I specifically stated that I was NOT a buyer I wasn't sure if I would get an answer or not. The person selling the coach was very polite and had I been a buyer I'm sure that I would have pursued the deal.

We bought our Foretravel from an ad on foreforums.com. I sent the seller a PM with my phone number and a good time to call. I got a call at the requested time, we made an appointment to see the coach (it was 300 miles away), liked it, and eventually made a deal. We brought a cashier's check to the seller and all went well.

At some point we'll be looking for another coach, and a "middle-age" Airstream is the front runner at this point. Since few late-90's coaches are traded in at dealerships we'll be checking airforms.com for that coach. I hope that the sellers at that time will respond to our requests.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:42 PM   #32
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Many forums that have classified adds require that you have a certain number of posts and time as a member. This helps prevent fraud and other abuses. The classifieds should be for bona fide members. Otherwise, what is to separate it from Craigslist?

Perry
And just how, Perry, do you think that having X number of posts and time as a member qualifies someone to be a good seller? And frankly, most units that are advertised here ARE, in fact, advertised on Craigslist and other places as well. Over the years there have been a number of fraudsters who've tried to sell stuff here too. Now I'll grant you that an established member is less likely to be a problem seller, but membership here is no guarantee of honesty or reliability.

I just bought a moho, and I have two trailers and pickup for sale right now. I have bought and sold a number of Airstreams as well as fiberglass trailers over the years. Each sale has been different, and each circumstance has been unique. I've endured scam emails, and answered innumerable calls and emails from tire kickers. That's just part of what you need to do to get something sold. When I've bought, it's not unusual if you only get a reply from one out of six or seven sellers... for a variety of reasons. And there have been a number of units I might have been interested in that I walked away from after the initial contact because I wasn't comfortable with something about the seller or the way the unit was represented.

The location of where of the ads are published is really irrelevant... Caveat Emptor still applies and you have to use a LARGE dose of common sense when buying or selling an RV from here, Craigslist, or a reputable dealer's lot. That's just the way of the world today. Stay focused, use common sense about buying (or selling) and your transactions will go well.
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:19 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
People are getting murdered and robbed responding to Craigslist ads. I do not think that has ever happened thru an Airforums ad.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:20 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
So true,, One reason i guess is no one is sell units on this site as they are not responding for the most part. So they go to craigslist and get tons of scam emails and just forget it or roll it to the local RV dealer to sell on consignment.

I know on Timeshare Users Group Site(TUG2.net) paid members get credits to post for sale and rental ads on the site.

Maybe there needs to be fee to non-members or for registered members with a number of post, something that has to be done over a period of months not days, be allowed to post for free.

That removes most of the scam ads (scammers are not going to pay to post) and rewards those that are true AirForums users sharing in the experience. You can learn a lot about poeple when you read post from them over a period of time, again months not days.

I do look at the ads but for the most part prices are getting ridiculous at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
People are getting murdered and robbed responding to Craigslist ads. I do not think that has ever happened thru an Airforums ad.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:33 AM   #35
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Your analogy is a little like saying its unsafe to be a tourist anywhere because tourists have been kidnapped on the Afghan/Pakistan border.

That's a little extreme, and you're promoting a false sense of security based on facts not in evidence. The conclusion you've drawn isn't accurate especially when you look at the number of ads and users world-wide on Craigslist. Craigslist is everywhere with ads for everything. Most of the people who post their units for sale here also post them somewhere on Craigslist. While most folks who post here ARE good folks, they're also a slice of the larger society.

The premise of Caveat Emptor isn't suspended merely because the ad you respond to is posted here, nor is your need for situational awareness to ensure your own safety; both physical and fiscal.
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:53 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My gosh that is some far fetched assumptions and reading between the lines of my post. I respect your opinions and that ends our discussion.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:38 AM   #37
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
My gosh that is some far fetched assumptions and reading between the lines of my post. I respect your opinions and that ends our discussion.
Well, gosh, how open-minded of you.

Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:43 AM   #38
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Like I said before, many people have no internet sense, so they post lousy ads, don't respond to inquiries, etc. I will add that, imho, most people have no sales skills. They hate to sell stuff, so they set themselves up for bad experiences when they try to sell stuff.

We Americans love to buy stuff. We're real good at that. But as a rule we're not very good at selling stuff.

I consider myself lucky to have gotten good, solid sales experience early in life. It helped me build a successful business, and it helped me sell that business when the time came. I understand the process. Nothing I see on AS classifieds surprises me one bit.
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:25 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Parts for sale?

Where is the parts for sale section of the classifieds? I can not find it to save my soul.
Thanks
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Parts and Appliances (used, rare and vintage) Archives - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstream Trailers For Sale
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote