Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2014, 05:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
airstream classified is LAME

i have tried to contact two person on the classified site through their Contact The Seller contact form.

I HAVE gotten nothing back from either request. Has anyone gotten a response from a person selling something on the site.

both did not include phone number which is not a smart thing to do in my opinion but its there choose.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Frederick , Maryland
I have had some respond but not others. I finally found ours on RVT.com. Good luck with your search, it can be frustrating at times.
VWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

I recently sold my B190 on the classifieds here. I found that some emails from prospective buyers went into my junk mailbox. I wonder if that's what happened to your email response and they're not checking there. Too bad they didn't give a phone number - so they wouldn't miss out on a possible buyer.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Carl - you might try sending sellers a PM via the forums, these look a lot less like spam to some e-mail programs.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have sent a couple of dozen PMs to classified posters and never got a response back. It seems many ads are placed by one hit wonders. They join just to place an ad and then disappear. There should be a requirement to have a certain number of varified post prior to posting an ad. Every other board I am on has this requirement. Also a valid phone should be required.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Fresno , California
I sold my first two Airstreams with Airstream Classifieds. I always include my phone number and am happy to answer any questions. I would rather talk than text or PM. That could be since I am over 60.
2007 Ram 2500
dougandlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
Has anyone gotten a response from a person selling something on the site.
All I can tell you is that a few years ago we sold our 1960 Pacer with an Airsforums Classified. Got dozens of responses--to which we promptly responded--and ended up getting our asking price.

Your mileage may vary.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
I bought my A/S through the Forum Classifieds years ago, and it went well. I think that if you post an ad, then you are asking people to contact you, and should be glad to get those contacts. If you then can't take the time to respond, you are simply rude. Maybe these people are not real Forum members, and simply don't care.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #9
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Odd. I used the A/F Classified section in September and sold my trailer within 36 hours of the time I posted it. The buyer PM'd me and we quickly did email/phonecall/meetup.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
As someone who is actively searching for a first AS, I've contacted probably five individuals who had placed a for sale ad in the classifieds here. Four members returned my query and I had a good conversation with them. The one individual who didn't reply turned out to be a small time dealer.

On a side note, as a Canadian it's getting tough to purchase an AS in the US because of the falling oil prices which lowers the value of the Canadian dollar. About 14% down today compared to the US dollar.
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sorry about that but love that cheap gas. I have been filling up my Jeep for $70.
Today I filled up for $45.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 12-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
I Wouldn't Call It LAME

Hey Carl,
I see you're literally in the next town over from me. I found the classifieds to be most helpful for me. I bought mine after calling the seller within 40 minutes of them posting the ad. I sure learned a lot in the 4 months plus that Kay & I were actively looking. I still follow the classifieds to see what's out there. Pretty slim pickins if you are looking for a newer model right now.

I'm not going to go into how frustrated we were when we were looking. There's quite a few "re-sellers" out there just looking to make a quick buck. They don't give a rats a%$ about you, nor this community of true AS folks that will bend over backwards to help you at a moments notice. Shame...

I am in total agreement with you on not including a reach #. If you want to sell your item, ya better be able to talk to your potential buyer, and that means giving him/her a means of communication. I'm in the IT industry in support of the DHS. No failya to kommunikate.
Definitely check your spam folder.
If I can help, just ask...neighbor!
Gavin
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
While the Airstream classifieds can certainly be frustrating due to non responsive posters it also can work very well. I sold my Bambi II to a fellow that misrepresented (he was a reseller/broker that lied about that) himself in less than 48 hours. Price was right and he paid in cash. I had my phone number in my ad. I found my Safari and successfully contacted the seller within 1 hour of their posting. It went so quickly because they posted their phone number. So it can work smoothly if proper contact information is provided by all parties.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:23 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Yes, we sold our 28' in a couple days. Putting in a contact # is very important.
However, I have looked at many ads w no contact listed, I just pass them by as it is too much trouble to try to contact those without easy contact #'s.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:42 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question Contact #'s

Are not all ad's required to have a contact email address not connected directly with Air Forums?

I'm now in the process of making a purchase and and that process has worked very well so far.
If wanted or needed phone numbers could be provided through the emails.

An aside...too many ad's are not updated in a timely fashion.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:07 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
How did you all handle the transactions? Cash, Cashier's check? I will probably be selling mine in the spring when my wife is done with the custom curtains and I probably re-zolatone. I'm nervous about a transaction that large - plus I'm assuming I'll be creating a taxable event.

I also have tons of extras - stabilizers, matching leg-o-matics, few spare parts. Would you sell that as a complete package or part those out?

Rob.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #17
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
The Airstream classifieds aren't lame imho, but a lot of the people who post ads there sure are lame! So many have no pix, or very few, taken with a fuzzy phone, and so many images end up sideways, upside down, etc. They can't even clear the junk out of the way before they take the pictures! I think a lot of the ads get posted by people with no computer skills, and they can't get any part of the process right. Then they don't include a phone number, and say their too-high price is "firm."

So many people have no sales skills. No idea what their trailer's worth. No clue at all about how to show it, how to negotiate, etc. And then they grouse because they can't sell their trailer.
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnorts View Post
The Airstream classifieds aren't lame imho, but a lot of the people who post ads there sure are lame! So many have no pix, or very few, taken with a fuzzy phone, and so many images end up sideways, upside down, etc. They can't even clear the junk out of the way before they take the pictures! I think a lot of the ads get posted by people with no computer skills, and they can't get any part of the process right. Then they don't include a phone number, and say their too-high price is "firm."

So many people have no sales skills. No idea what their trailer's worth. No clue at all about how to show it, how to negotiate, etc. And then they grouse because they can't sell their trailer.
There is a woman currently on Facebook complaining about not being able to sell her 3 year old trailer. She is asking what a new one cost. I suggested she do some research and see what others are actually selling for.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
When I was looking for an AS, I had half a dozen that I inquired about. some had an e-mail address, but they didn't reply.

One in particular would get back to me in a week or so, and anawer my questions. I wondered if he really wanted to sell it.

Another called me after a week to tell me they had sold it already. (Thanks, I would have given you $5,000 more than your asking price.)

Several more never bothered to reply. I often wondered if they even received any of my messages.

I had these same results on E Bay, too.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:48 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
I have sold two airstreams and purchased two airstreams thru the classifieds.
Works both ways, some people call about one for sale and never call back, some never answer my calls. Nothing to get up tight about that is just the way it is.
Dealing with the public in general can be a real pain in the posterior.
Hickory
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote