Old 03-23-2016, 11:23 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Airforums Newsletter? Is this a legit email?

While checking email today I saw an email titled Airforums Newsletter.

Having been a member for some years I have never gotten an Airforums Newsletter.

Is this a legit email?
What is its purpose?
Who is it from?
Where did they get my e mail address from.?

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Not sure about the first 3 questions but your e mail address is potentially sold by anyone who ever had access to it.

Not an e mail event but yesterday I did a Google search on a given product, unrelated the Airstream. The next time I opened Airfourms the feature ad at the top of the page was an ad for that product. Someone paid to have that ad placed there based on the information Google had for sale. Less than a hour later.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Not sure about the first 3 questions but your e mail address is potentially sold by anyone who ever had access to it.

Not an e mail event but yesterday I did a Google search on a given product, unrelated the Airstream. The next time I opened Airfourms the feature ad at the top of the page was an ad for that product. Someone paid to have that ad placed there based on the information Google had for sale. Less than a hour later.
Yep, that's what Google is. You have to remember you are NOT a Google customer - you're a user. Their customers are the manufacturers and suppliers who pay to do "predictive advertising" They predict you'll be interested in a product based on every keystroke you enter. Privacy? What's that? AND it gets worse. Ever thought about using Google Voice because it's so much cheaper than any other phone service? Well they offer free transcription of messages too. Great? Yes but what do THEY do with the messages they transcribe? Sell it to advertisers, that's what.

If you think big brother is constantly watching you, you're no longer able to call it paranoia. It's simply the way things work today.

I routinely pay for restaurants with cash... use a credit card at Red Lobster and guess what... you'll see very attractive pictures of clam chowder on your computer the next time you log on.

Brave New World.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Thanks Foiled and Howie.

I understand about Google but this looks like it came from Airforums or I should say Social Knowledge the company associated with it.

There may not be much privacy left but you can still try.

Hittenstiehl
Old 03-23-2016, 01:16 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
While checking email today I saw an email titled Airforums Newsletter.
Look all the way at the bottom of every AirForums page. You'll see a copyright notice "Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved."

Now go to the e-mail newsletter. Put your mouse over the "Contact support atů" link but don't click it. You'll see that the link is to "newsletters.socialknowledge.com."

That tells me it's from the same company that holds the copyright on the AirForums. The sender IS entitled to use the AirForums name. They OWN the name.

I for one don't mind receiving the newsletter. Compared to the CyberSam and Passport America newsletters that I also get, there's less advertising and more pertinent content.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Thx Protag I saw that also. It sounds like its fair to assume it came from Social Knowledge.

I have since deleted it, not knowing.

Hittenstiehl
Old 03-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Got the E-mail. Was unimpressed with the National Park recommendations. Not because they are a bad idea, just thought telling folks to see Blue Ridge Parkway and Lincoln Memorial was like saying take I70 through Colorado. Been there done that and would expect most folks would visit those places without someone telling them it was a good idea. The RV Park recommendation site looks like it may have value. Pat
Old 03-23-2016, 01:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
I received the same e-mail. There were some interesting articles but it had me wondering why it came out. I haven't seen anything saying there was a newsletter coming.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:34 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
I wonder why a monitor hasn't answered this issue. The RV park review is a good site. I have used it for several years.
SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:27 AM   #10
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
The mailing was legit - not malicious or spam and there is an unsubscribe link at the bottom. As usual member info and e-mail addresses are not shared, sold or rented out and we sent this.

Social Knowledge (AIRs parent co) has grown a little and the links in that blast are to sites of interest to campers that are also under the social knowledge wing.

www.RVParkReviews.com is a particularly useful site with reviews submitted by campers and no for-profit reviews. I've used it for years and last year Social Knowledge acquired the aging site, updated the pages and hope to see it thrive - it's an amazing resource for campers.

We had hoped that folks would find the mailing useful but understand if you don't want it - just hit the unsubscribe button and we won't send it again.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Thank you Janet for responding that was the information I was hoping to hear.

And thank you for not selling or sharing members information.

Now that I'm informed we will likely read it a few times to gage our interest and then decide.

We do use RV park reviews and had noticed a fresher updated look.

Hittenstiehl
Old 03-25-2016, 04:53 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks for the update Janet. It's good to know the letter came from a legitimate source. I look forward to future ones.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
I noted today a Michelin tire ad on top of a thread this morning being read. Since I have been blathering about Michelins and wheels... I think the 'cookie monster' is tracking us.

I usually delete all of my tracking cookies from Safari Preferences each day so I am not tracked. Not that it makes much difference to me... but that is how the Forum keeps on line.

I am already up to 60 cookies.