Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2015, 08:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Ok Janet....if you check off, does that mean the pop ups go away? Or should you check on so that the pop up blocker is now in force? Confusing as hell and I checked off.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:30 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
The AIRSTREAM DAILY pop-up is driving me crazy, to the point that I am loosing interest in the forum. It pops-up two to three times on EACH PAGE!!

it is doing this on all three of my computers. Pop-up blocker is turned on.

this is really a recent problem; started last month.

nothing I do seems to affect it.

any advice other than to stop visiting the forum?

thanks,
What Janet posted a few posts above is what I am talking about.

Post # 19

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:58 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
What Janet posted a few posts above is what I am talking about.

Post # 19

Ken
; got it!
As I now understand it you need to be signed in with the pop up turned off to stop the pop-up. If you are not signed in it does not stop the pop UPS.

Thanks!
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
; got it!
As I now understand it you need to be signed in with the pop up turned off to stop the pop-up. If you are not signed in it does not stop the pop UPS.

Thanks!
However, the pop ups keep popping up while you're trying to log in.

SERIOUS QUESTION: are the pop ups really a good marketing tool given that they seem to irritate a lot of people? For those of us using an iPad, it is very difficult to stay signed on certain forums.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:10 AM   #25
Rivet Master

This continues to be a problem; I sign in, while fighting the pop-up, go to discussion topic, then click the Portal tab and I am no longer signed in and the popup is back, popping up 3to 4 times. This is by far the most annoying site I can think of.
I would understand one popup when you first go to the site, but this current state of frequency is discouraging to say the least.
Am I the only one having this issue?
Maybe it was the upgrade to Windows 10...
Old 11-08-2015, 09:25 AM   #26
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I can't believe that any owner of this site would allow such a $&*())_*#&^$_$&*$&$_#$____---- POPUP to annoy so many potential (and devoted) members, on a rediculous repeated useless POPUP, that does nothing to enhance the experience of owning, or wanting to own an AIRSTREAM!

Dave

Quote:
This continues to be a problem; I sign in, while fighting the pop-up, go to discussion topic, then click the Portal tab and I am no longer signed in and the popup is back, popping up 3to 4 times. This is by far the most annoying site I can think of.
I would understand one popup when you first go to the site, but this current state of frequency is discouraging to say the least.
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:37 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Well said Masseyfarm!
Even if you are not signed in, how could anyone believe that it's a great marketing strategy to assault readers with a barrage of popup?
Old 11-09-2015, 06:18 PM   #28
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:

Here's the deal... we use cookies to remember things like your browsing preferences, whether or not you have declined the pop-up and also to keep you logged in at page changes. If you have disabled cookie handling either in your browser settings or in your virus protection scheme, the cookies are purged when you navigate around the site. You get logged out and shown more ads.

If you need some help changing these settings please post up and we can try to help.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:49 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I have found a solution for the pop-ups. Not saying it will work for you, but it is very simple to try.

When you open any page on this site, get ready to log in at the top right, but sit patiently until the pop-up pops up. Patiently . . . [edit -- do not try to scroll up or down, or log in at all -- remember -- patiently]

Get your mouse/finger located where the "X" is going to appear in the top right corner of the pop-up window. It appears in the same exact place every time, which on my laptop is centered over the word "Password" in the log in area.

As soon as possible, hit the "X" and log in quickly.

After learning this routine, I have only had to deal with ONE pop-up for each session online.

If you rush things, you will get repetitive pop-ups IMO.

Works on my Mac laptop in Firefox and on the iPad Mini.

YMMV
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:01 PM   #30
Rivet Master

I find it is helpful to check the "remember me" box and never log out. That has never caused me a problem on this site or any other that operates like this one.

Ken
Old 11-10-2015, 02:18 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I find it is helpful to check the "remember me" box and never log out. That has never caused me a problem on this site or any other that operates like this one.

Ken
Thanks Ken, curious whether you ever delete your browsing history and cookies, as there may be privacy concerns if you remain logged in on this site (and others BTW). In life, there is usually a price paid for convenience in my opinion . . .

Old 11-10-2015, 10:17 AM   #32
Rivet Master

The internet is a fishbowl - enter at your own risk!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks Ken, curious whether you ever delete your browsing history and cookies, as there may be privacy concerns if you remain logged in on this site (and others BTW). In life, there is usually a price paid for convenience in my opinion . . .

I delete my browsing history, etc. periodically, but it is for computer efficiency not privacy. In my opinion, any hope of privacy, is lost once one connects to the internet, uses a cell phone, and, to some degree, every time they step out their front door. My solution is not to do anything I would be ashamed of if it went public. I would go crazy if I had to login and logout on every website I have an account on every time I used it. The only ones I intentionally log into and out of are ones where I conduct financial transactions, and most of them force you to anyway.

Ken

P.S. I feel the same way about cameras mounted in public. Don't think you can pee behind a telephone pole without the whole world watching you.

Solution: If you care, don't do it.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #33
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

Most browsers have an option to specifically enable cookie exchange for a site and bypass the other settings you have for general surfing. The forum doesn't sell, loan or share member info and there is no financial data stored here. We work hard to keep the board secure and take privacy concerns seriously.

Even if you fail to log out, our server will automatically disconnect from your device after a period of inactivity (I think 30 minutes). Upon seeing your device again (when you navigate back to AIR) it will reconnect automatically if you have checked the remember me box and enabled cookie exchange.

How you manage cyber security is entirely a personal choice and we understand but we just don't have another way to keep you logged in and 'remember' your browsing preferences.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:00 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Joliet , Illinois
I have this same problem with this pop up when using my tablet. Switched over to the mobile version of Air Forums.....no more problems!
bel73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:28 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Springville , Alabama
How do I stop the Airstream Daily pop up ad from displaying?

Comes in every few seconds on iPad, almost impossible to use the forum because of it. Screen blacks out when it appears. I have signed up,for it hoping that would make it stop, to no avail.
driftwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:45 AM   #36
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Read this:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ml#post1697077

It helps to stay logged in when you close your browser {check Remember Me}, but be aware it does not always reduce the symptom. Some devices have a more difficult time than others dealing with this most annoying feature of the site.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 02:41 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The work-around solution in Post No. 29 of that thread continues to work on all my devices. The patience required to wait 5-15 seconds for the pop-up to appear the first time (without doing ANYTHING else) may seem like a long time, but it is far easier than the alternatives IMO.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ml#post1708230

BTW I do log out at the end of each session, delete cookies, and clean the Internet Cache so . . .

YMMV
Old 11-18-2015, 02:44 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
A parallel thread has "popped up" if you will . . .

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ng-143788.html

The work-around in Post No. 29 still works on all my devices.

BTW I do log out at the end of each session, delete cookies, and clean the Internet Cache so . . .

YMMV
Old 11-18-2015, 03:31 AM   #39
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Turn off java script in your browser.
This site is heavily polluted with all kinds of flashing ads, etc and that annoying ad.
The only way one can stand being on it is with java turned off.
Fortunately, unlike most sites, you still can get pretty much full function here without java.
Try it.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:44 AM   #40
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
I just put this on the other thread about that pop up too.
I access this site primarily through my android.
It is about the most ad polluted site I visit - with all the flashing ads, etc.
So I always turn off java script before I come here.
It takes just a couple if clicks on my phone to do.
Turning off java gets rid of everything, except; it still allows full function of the board.
Try it.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote