Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2017, 12:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Against the rules?

Recently I have noticed forum posts announcing items for sale in the classifieds. Is this against the rules?
Old 10-08-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I have to admit, I'm not crazy about those ads for the classifieds.

If they're not against the rules, maybe they should be.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
I think it's automatic, when someone advertises on the classifieds the system automatically makes a post in the forums.
Doesn't bother me, since I'm on the forum more I get to see what's new on the classifieds without having to go look. Waiting for an east coast 23FB, 8-10 years old to pop up.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
I think it's automatic, when someone advertises on the classifieds the system automatically makes a post in the forums.
. . .
Seems that way. No biggie IMO. If you know that a classified ad automatically generates a post, you can simply ignore that post and move on like a mature adult, without any further comment.

Personally I like and value this feature, as I have seen quite a few listings for AS for sale nearby, which I definitely would have missed if I had to search the classifieds every few days.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
When I had an item on the FREE ads in the classifieds I created a thread to direct people to it. One of the mods sent me a PM that it was not allowed, and then my thread disappeared.

I suppose (do not know) those recent notification threads are a function of the "featured" ads that one has to pay for. I suppose it's a way for the owner of the forum to make a few $.

To me, it's not to attractive way to advertise. I do not use the link to the ad, never plan to.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
From my experience forum classifieds are often not noticed. Posting a thread announcing the classified ad is a way of bringing the ad to the membership's attention. This begs the question why have the classifieds at all and post all for sale items in the general forums. I suspect this would clog the regular forums with classifieds. Kind of a merry go round. I have not heard of featured ads that you pay for that automatically posts a notice to the general forums. Is this true? The recent posts announcing ads I have seen are often by members with a limited post history. Perhaps they don't know the rules? I did this once and was told by the mods this was not allowed. I'm not taking a pro/con position. I just want to know what the rule is and that it is consistently followed. On the other hand these kinds of posts don't seem to last too long, so maybe they are being bleeped. I am also not blaming the mods, they are not getting big bucks.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:06 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

oz , Tennessee
against the rules

This the most aggravating thing I have ever seen on here! The whole page of new posts are almost classified for the same trailer just different parts. I dont care if the mods are making money from it that is what the classifieds are for. Might as well just have a free for all and just start posting for sale items in the daily post area.
wahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I like it. Management keep posting them.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
It's an automatic post when a new classified ad is placed. They appear in a 'classified' thread. We still don't allow for sale stuff in the general forms. Like has been mentioned, it simply brings the ad to the front page for awhile.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2513.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	296521  
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:37 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Marion , New York
I find this automatic feature annoying, mainly because it takes up space on the opening page of the Forum which could be used for threads with more interesting content. I would think if someone was in the market for a new trailer they would simply check the classifieds more frequently.
DremStremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I'm wondering if these ads are legitimate. They are from all over the country, but are worded very similarly. All of the posters joined this month and have only one post. I PM'd Janet to ask if they could be validated. "Twice is a coincidence, three times is a pattern...."

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:19 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
It's an automatic post when a new classified ad is placed. They appear in a 'classified' thread. We still don't allow for sale stuff in the general forms. Like has been mentioned, it simply brings the ad to the front page for awhile.
I've looked a few times trying to find out how to create a "featured ad" but could not find how until I recently ran across this thread. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ad-169205.html

I had never noticed this area before your post:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f534/

Will you please clarify:

Is it ok for or anyone to place their own notification thread in this forum section?
Or,
Is this area reserved for an automated process when a featured ad is created at the Classified section?

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2017, 06:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post

Is it ok for or anyone to place their own notification thread in this forum section?
Or,
Is this area reserved for an automated process when a featured ad is created at the Classified section?

Thanks!

Good question. The only place to 'sell' is inside the classifieds, so technically putting your own post in that thread might pass the muster BUT that's the only place it would be seen and you can't 'bump' it. It would quickly spool out of view.

Members are not allowed more than 1 classified ad 'except' the parts-section which is probably what started today's questions.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:28 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
2018 26' Flying Cloud
Brighton , Michigan
I posted a for sale AS recently, automatically posted to this page. Did not pay to have it featured.
Rivet Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:43 PM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
I've looked a few times trying to find out how to create a "featured ad" but could not find how until I recently ran across this thread. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ad-169205.html

I had never noticed this area before your post:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f534/

Will you please clarify:

Or,

Thanks!

When an ad is placed on the classifieds page a thread is automatically started in that section of the forum. But if it doesn't work the other way around.

You can subscribe to that forum or ignore it via your user cp (if you don't want to see these threads.

Ads should be placed on the classifieds page only (and then the automatic thread will take care of itself.

Ads in classifieds are fed to other places including Facebook and twitter with links back to the ad to increase visibility.

here's the link to the classifieds page: http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/
here's a link to the forum where threads are started when ads are placed: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f534/

I think the reason you are more aware of these than in the past is that we didn't used to display the new threads over in the right side bar and portal page feeds and now do

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:56 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
When an ad is placed on the classifieds page a thread is automatically started in that section of the forum. But if it doesn't work the other way around.

You can subscribe to that forum or ignore it via your user cp (if you don't want to see these threads.

Ads should be placed on the classifieds page only (and then the automatic thread will take care of itself.

Ads in classifieds are fed to other places including Facebook and twitter with links back to the ad to increase visibility.

here's the link to the classifieds page: http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/
here's a link to the forum where threads are started when ads are placed: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f534/

I think the reason you are more aware of these than in the past is that we didn't used to display the new threads over in the right side bar and portal page feeds and now do

how do you ignore the classified forum? I can not seem to get to a forum page to go thru the ignore set up.
tabney0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:15 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabney0315 View Post
how do you ignore the classified forum? I can not seem to get to a forum page to go thru the ignore set up.
nevermind, i figured out how to get the view the classified forum.
tabney0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
. . .
. . .
Anyone who wants NOT to see the classified ads appear as posts, can simply go to the forum linked above in blue, then click on "Forum Tools" in the top menu bar, then hit "Ignore Forum" in the drop down menu.

You should not thereafter see posts that offend you.

[At least I think this is the correct approach . . . ]
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote