Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2015, 03:13 PM   #1
Robert

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
475 Ad Views; No Inquiries?

I posted an ad with photos of our 2010 Flying Cloud on September 18 on Airstream Classifieds. It's garnered 475 views since then, but I've received not one inquiry. I tested in the inquiry form on the ad, and it works.I also posted the same ad on RVTrader, and have received numerous inquiries from it. Any thoughts on the disparity?
roperlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
One thought, especially with the increased interest on RV Trader, is that the larger number of AS owners here have the one they want and it's more appealing to non-AS owners?

Another - I don't know if folks do this as I do - but I only look out of curiosity - I'm not in the market. You'll see a hit from people like me but no intention to buy.

There may be other reasons too but hose come to mind first. Good luck!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I too look at the adds out of curiosity not need. If they have nice pictures I often look again from home to get the big picture so to speak. I tend to look mostly at Vintage adds not current models.

I just looked at your add (sorry for another viewing) don't see anything wrong with it.

I did note you personalized the wording in the add and the interior is very bare. Add seems good and your photos are clear, upright and discernible.

Good luck on your sale.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:38 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
You are at (in my opinion) an awkward position in the depreciation cycle.

It's not brand spanking new any more, but it's not much cheaper either.

It's also got competition from the 20, 22, and 23 footers of the same era, which are asking about the same price, some for model years newer than yours.

This is a roundabout way of me saying I'm not sure you set the right price.
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The ads work.
I sold my OE wheels on Airstream classifieds within a couple of days.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
475 Ad Views; No Inquiries?

The ads work, it's how we found our AS ...
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
About once a month I look through some of the Vintage ads on the Forums Classified site, just to see what the asking prices are for older trailers. I have no intention of buying, but might be selling my Argosy one of these days, so keeping up on prices is important to me.

I also like to laugh at the incredible prices some think their old Airstream is worth, both the restored and un restored ones.

So, the lookers such as me may be vastly inflating your "look count" vs. your inquiry count.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:46 AM   #8
Robert

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
Great Feedback

Thanks for your feedback. SteveSueMac makes a good point about where the better audience may be, and, like SteveSueMac and Hittenstiehl, I’m a tire kicker as well and look at ads out of simple curiosity. As for pricing, NWGetaways raises some interesting questions, but, after doing extensive research, I really think $39k is a very fair price: the MSRP for a new 19’ Flying Cloud is $62k +; 2010’s are very popular but hard to find these days (RVTrader listed only 1 other; there are none but ours on Airstream Classifieds)); location is a factor, and Denver is more convenient to prospective buyers than either coast; used 20’, 22’ and 23’ Flying Clouds are not necessarily direct competition for a 19’ because they have different floor plans, Gross Vehicle Weights and Hitch Weights, all of which go into the buying decision in addition to price (for example, while we would have preferred to go even bigger than a 23’, it was the biggest Flying Cloud our current tow vehicle can safely handle and we didn’t want to replace it, too). I’ll let you know how things progress. Thanks, again, for your insights. Robert
Old 10-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #9
Robert

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
Thanks For Your Encouragement

I really appreciate the informative posts from m.hony, nrgtrake and idroba, too; your support is very welcome. Robert
Old 10-13-2015, 02:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
. I found my 2013 31' classic on AS classifieds on a Saturday and was back home the as the next Saturday, good service...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #11
LifeIsShort

2013 22' FB Sport
Winter Park , Colorado
Hi roperlaw,

I don't know why you are getting more inquiries on rvtrader than a/s classifieds. I will say that I did buy a 2013 22FB Sport off the classifieds back in August for $39K. It has been lifted, and the one previous owner installed the ocean breeze shades. They also included all bedding, dishes, pots and pans, silverware, grill and a loaded toolbox. Not exactly apples to apples with a FC, but some insight into pricing to consider.

Best of luck.
Tsmith.wp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Robert - I checked out other similar trailers for sale in a simple Google search and found a 2010 FC Bambi 19 at Colonial for about $5K less than your asking price. Not apples to apples - for example, the pics of the Colonial one show a couple minor dings (none shown on yours) and we don't know if it's been under covered storage it's whole life as yours has been. For some buyers, those facts alone would suggest it's worth a premium to buy from you rather than a dealer and your price would be completely reasonable.

But here are a few perception issues (whether true or not doesn't matter) you might want to evaluate:

1) some buyers prefer buying used from a dealer as their perception (right or wrong) is the dealer has done a full inspection, corrected any major/safety issues, can assist with financing if needed, etc. (convenience/peace of mind)

2) some buyers would believe the dealer has more capability to handle issues that may arise post-sale (say a 90-day warranty or return policy)

3) some buyers would believe they could expect 10% or more off the price of a used unit at a dealer (it would be great if someone from Colonial would jump in here and tell us about their margins and how much room is there for negotiation but that's asking a lot &#128515

Combined - some buyers would then figure $32.5K is the expected price for such a trailer, and that includes some overhead for the dealer who adds more perceived value on a used sale than a private seller can (meaning your private sale should come in below that figure for such a buyer).

These perceptions don't in any way have to match reality and it doesn't make them right - they're just the psychology of pricing among some percentage of your target audience that you may have to overcome.

Having said that - any item is worth no more and no less than a person is willing to pay for it. If you have a long time horizon to sell, you will care less about buyer psychology than you would if you needed the cash yesterday. Just as a buyer who expects to buy such a trailer at say $25K might need a long horizon to find one at that price no matter what s/he thinks it's actually worth.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:11 PM   #13
Robert

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
Those are useful insights. I would add, too, that I've dealt with Colonial and think it is a very reputable, high volume Airstream dealer. Based on my experience, I am doubtful that Colonial would accept much less, if anything, than its already reduced price. For a prospective buyer who lives on the East Coast, this might be a good deal, but if they live anywhere west of the Mississippi, getting possession of this unit is going to be expensive. All things considered. I think we've value priced our Bambi, and, fortunately, don't have any urgency to sell it. On the other hand, I'm willing to listen to reason, and if I get a bona fide offer that seems fair, I wouldn't hesitate accepting it if the buyer will give her a good home. Again, I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts. Best, Robert
Old 10-14-2015, 05:13 PM   #14
Robert

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
Appreciate the insights. Best, Robert
Old 10-14-2015, 05:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Good luck Robert! Here's hoping you get full price!
Old 10-14-2015, 06:28 PM   #16
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Stick to your price. It's in great shape and right in there pricewise. Someone who wants a 19' is not interested in a 22', so don't worry.

But......

1. It's out of season. Much easier when people get cabin fever and are ready for Spring. Maybe from March with you?
2. Fine advertising here, but a Kijiji ad would do more good, because it would feature locally, without getting lost in the crowd.

Personally I would try for a bit longer, but if you have the storage and don't desperately need the cash, wait until early next year.

This is worth 2 cents, US mind you, not Canadian!
Old 10-15-2015, 06:33 AM   #17
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
..... whoops.... I meant Craigslist, of course! Kijiji is the Canadian version.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:27 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Spring is always the best time to sell.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:55 AM   #19
Robert

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
Good point, Bob. I'm not in any hurry (she's paid for), so if I have to wait until the beginning of next season, I'm okay with that. Who knows, by then prices may be even higher!
Old 10-17-2015, 01:45 AM   #20
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Robert,

Your trailer was on my list, especially since you are next door in CO. I'm probably responsible for several of your 'views' ��

I found a used-twice 2013 that was also stored indoors, it was listed for $42,500, for 4 model years newer. I did pay less than that asking price.

Not to say you are overpriced, but if you've had no physical lookers and no offers, then yes, your price does not reflect market expectations *as of right now*. Maybe it willin the spring when the buyers return in force, or maybe it won't. The market never lies.

I'm in the real estate business in a resort town, and the rules generally apply about the relationship between time on market and price--but like with any luxury purchase, it simply might take longer to get near your price. I will say that a couple others I considered that seemed priced well were gone fairly fast.

Hope you get a great price but if you need a certain number, spring will surely be better. It's tough to spend $40k on something that will be stored away for the winter.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote