Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
Went out and was able to find the Uncle of the owner. NO we could not get closer to take pictures, NO he doesn't know anything about the trailer except the owner got it when his father died, NO the owner has no phone (it's been disconnected, NO the owner has no money but he doesn't think he's interested in selling so he could get money to pay his phone bill, BUT he told us where the guy worked and I'm going to call him tomorrow to see if he'd like to see his father's Airstream back on the road and taken care of. Well it's worth a try. Uncle said we couldn't get closer than A QUARTER MILE because "they're funny bout that, you know". HUM?
Be careful down there!

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:00 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
As an antique dealer I can tell you from experience that there is a segment of people in the world that would rather keep their things even if they need the money, and even if the items are being ruined by being kept. I have seen more furniture in leaking barns, sheds, flooded basements, ect. owned by people with very little of any money who will not even discuss selling. I tried to buy quilts from a lady with no heat, a leaning foundation, and a big hole in the roof. The quilts had already had mice in them and several had holes. She refused to sell any because her "Mother would turn over in her grave if she sold them". Apparently the Mother had no problems with feeding them to mice though.

As I have mentioned before, the man down the road has a 60's unit sitting in his yard which is a flood plain. I have twice seen it sitting up to the floor level in water. But will he sell it? Noooooo,.......his son may want it.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:17 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
willow springs , Illinois
wannaroam your right.
i've got an aunt in sa tx,and see lots of old cars from the 60's sitting in driveways around her house(muscle cars).a few years ago i started to ask people if they wanted to sell and the common answer was "i'm gonna fix it up" or 'i'm gonna save it for my kid".most of these people don't have the cash to fix their raggedy houses,let alone have the 10-20 grand to spend on a decent restoration.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:51 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
Went out and was able to find the Uncle of the owner. NO we could not get closer to take pictures, NO he doesn't know anything about the trailer except the owner got it when his father died, NO the owner has no phone (it's been disconnected, NO the owner has no money but he doesn't think he's interested in selling so he could get money to pay his phone bill, BUT he told us where the guy worked and I'm going to call him tomorrow to see if he'd like to see his father's Airstream back on the road and taken care of. Well it's worth a try. Uncle said we couldn't get closer than A QUARTER MILE because "they're funny bout that, you know". HUM?
Just curious whether you had any additional info on this trailer. Any new pics? Did "they" send you the zoom camera to get closer pics?

"because "they're funny bout that, you know". HUM?" Did you see "Deliverance"? Kinda' reminded me of that... Just a thought... Of course, it could be that they don't want the _Uncle_ within a quarter mile...
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:30 AM   #19
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Being somewhat of a hillbilly myself, I understand the desire to keep strangers off one's land. When you have very little the things you do have are precious to you. Deep country folk are very suspicious of city folk trying to make a buck off of them. They would rather watch that trailer turn back into dirt, than have you make $5 off them. As I see it you have two options:

A) Country folk also need to be courted. You need to "go courtin' em" if you want to get that trailer. Find out where the owner lives or works... maybe his watering hole. You need to come round with his favorite libation and talk about the weather, deer hunting, goat milking, stuff like that. You will have to refrain from talking about the trailer except to tell him how fortunate he is to own it. You will have to become the long lost cousin who's parents left to find work in the city... If you do all that right... well one day you can offer to buy it from him... he will give it to you instead.

B) Cash speaks... figure out how much you are willing to pay. Go to the bank and get the largest bills possible and tell, no show him, that you have cash and you want to buy that trailer for cash money. Show him the cash in hand. Nothing speaks like cash! Everyone likes cash so much, I named my dog Cash... oh yeh, after Johnny Cash... Any way, cash talks loud to country folk.

Either way don't blink... country folk are much smarter than city people think or give them credit for.

I am working on trailer #2 in a much similar fashion, except the owner is a Hippie that left the commune to return to the city. He took his headbands, El Camino, and 49 Wee Wind and returned to the city 20 years ago. The headbands and El Camino are used everyday, the Wee Wind sits and waits to be loved again. I am taking the "A" option with him... "courtin em" and he is actually becoming a good friend in the process. Theres a lot you can learn from an old Hippie....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:15 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Well, I never thought of myself as a "city folk", having been born right here in Oklahoma. However, I called this guy's work number and it's kinda out of service too. Drove by the business on my way to a client's home and it's still open but they have no phone. How's that work????? The client that I used to go see down the road with the trailer was arrested on a drug warrant, so I don't go that way any longer. I'm certain it's still sitting out there with the goats, but I have found a longer project in my new 31ft Sovereign. Bob and I are just waiting till he can finish that %*@# store in NC and we can be on our way to pick up our new baby. By the way, I told the Uncle I'd pay cash money for the trailer, gave hm my business card, put another letter in the mail box at the end of the drive on this property, NOTHING! Did find out these folks live on this property in something. Don't know what or where, but in my travels I go in some pretty unusual "homes".
Old 10-04-2007, 12:22 PM   #21
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Definitely shorter than a Tradewind. I agree with Shari and Richard T....'65 Safari.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MYSTERY.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	46540  

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote