Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 07:59 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
plywood laminated to bottom of shower

I am in the middle of a refurbishment of my '67 Caravel and have the shower removed. I noticed the shower has a 1/4" thick piece of plywood laminated on the bottom side of the shower floor. It seems this plywood keeps the edge/lip of the fiberglass well above the trailer floor. My question: is the plywood factory? Is it normal that the edge of the fiberglass assembly needs be pulled down to sit tight on the floor of the coach? It will pull down, but cracking in the finish is already evident and it seems to put a lot of stain on the fiberglass.

I first thought someone added the plywood, but not so sure anymore. Thoughts?
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I found the same thing on the bottom of the shower in the '66 Caravel. It looked like it had been beveled (sort of) to offer drainage to the shower pan. I put the shower/wash stand/ toilet base back in and did have to cinch it down in front, though I didn't see any real stress. If I had it to do over (heaven forbid!), I would end the floor covering around the shower drain so the shower pan would sit on the plywood and the lip of the pan would be on the floor covering. That would give a bit of a rise to the front area of the pan and cut down the stress from screwing it down. As an aside, I found the assembly of the rear shower area a bit of a challenge. There was no support for the toilet except the black tank when I took it apart so putting in a board for support when I reassembled it made fitting interesting.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:11 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
Thanks. After more thought, I agree the plywood is factory. Without the plywood, the assembly would sit lower and there would be evidence of multiple rivet holes in the upper wall assembly/end cap. There are not any extra rivet holes. So, I agree, I am going to stop the flooring short of the plywood sub base which will help a little. I might even put a 1/8" shim under the shower lip to reduce stress on this piece.

I have already removed the black tank and it will stay out. In its place will sit a wood "box" to support the toilet shelf and composting or dry flush toilet.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote