Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 1966-68 Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
georgetown , Texas
Opinions on my proposed new layout

Howdy,

Well it has been a slow project ..

Completely gutted 67 Caravel.

Frame on restoration. Almost done with replacing all new subfloor.

Thinking about the new layout - since i do not have any of the old items - other than the old grey tank and cracking shower tub.

Primarily we want to use it to sleep well - am planning on putting a queen size mattress in there. At first - no bathroom. Now I am planning on putting in a hidden john either in a hidden cabinet or under seat cushion. I picked up a brand new from Inland black water tank with valves from CL. That's another cool story.

No shower inside - plan on some beach camping - will install on outdoor shower in the furnace opening on the door side of the caravel. Was missing furnace and cover anyways.

Any thoughts? I know - it does not retain the cuteness and efficiency of the original but i still love it and plan on many fun weekend camping trips.

Attached is a quick drawing of my top pick for the new layout.

If you have any ideas or foresee any issues chime in. Thanks!!

PS> Most camping will be weekend getaways - parks, SOCAL beaches. No boondocking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream layout.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	181931  
knishiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Certainly looks like you've got all the basics there. The only concern I might have is side to side balance with a couch on street side, batteries on the same side, and nothing really to balance it on the other side besides a toilet.... Of course some of that depends on how you build the couch and what you build by the toilet. Will you be able to access under the queen bed for storage? Will you have any upper cabinets? Even just weekend camping trips take a lot of storage for those "just in case" items.
Building it the way you want gives you many options and the freedom to use it the way you want! Keep us informed on your progress!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I love the stock floor plan for the Caravel. I think it is one of the best floor plans ever for an Airstream.

I would make a scale drawing, so you can make sure that you have room for everything. Also think about how much storage you will need and where you are going to put stuff.

I believe that the black tank has to be directly under the toilet.

Good luck, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
the black tank doesn't have to be directly under the toilet if you put the black tank within the frame. However, i personally wouldn't want to drill a 3" hole in my 4" frame for plumbing it from one side to another. I'm assuming your existing valves are on that side and that's why you're thinking the way you are?

I would move the black tank to curbside and sewer valves to curbside.

with my 62 GT, i will say i don't think you'll miss the shower with weekend camping. I'd love this layout. i hate the pull-out bed; having to fix it up ever nite.

There doesnt seem to be much storage. where will you keep your clothes? Where will you store your bedding for the pull out gaucho?

my other concern is you might want to consider running plumbing on the other side of the trailer around under the bed; yea, i know, a long run, but you should keep it in the cabin not under the floor and how will you cross the door?

Do you have an access door in the rear end? how will you make use of the storage space under the bed? namely, the edge that is un-accessible next to the gaucho? perhaps put your WH here and plumb on this side instead.

look good though. Hope to see pics.

-lauren
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Consider what weight issues might arise from having the fresh water tank essentially right on top of the hitch. That will add a lot more hitch weight than placing it closer to the wheels would do.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
Consider what weight issues might arise from having the fresh water tank essentially right on top of the hitch. That will add a lot more hitch weight than placing it closer to the wheels would do.
I have a 24 ft Tradewind and the water tank is directly under the gaucho in front, so I would not get too upset. Also, the Caravel is a very small trailer with a low hitch weight to start with. The OP said no boondocking, so I suspect they won't need to travel with much water also.

Dan
Old 03-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
georgetown , Texas
Thanks for all of the feedback.

Yes, i do need to plan for more storage. I will put in some pull out storage from the queen bed. Under the gaucho will be storage. Not planning on overhead cabs but may need some.

Water tank was originally up front, so i think i will be fine.

Never considered the side to side weight - thanks for bringing that one up.

Also, didnt think much about the plumbing lines yet. Yes - makes sense to make the run the opposite direction and keep them above the floor.

Unless i run the water pex thru the interior frame in the walls? Guess i would have to run it under the door?

Thanks again all and keep it coming!
knishiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Quote:
Unless i run the water pex thru the interior frame in the walls? Guess i would have to run it under the door?
i believe that the stair folds up under the floor in the doorway. limited insulation here and exposure to elements, stairs would make it risky - if your caravel is built like my 62 GT.

running through walls is a possibility if there are holes in he ribs large enough but then you'd have them hidden behind interior walls which are riveted in and furniture is built around them. so if there is a problem; leaky connection, etc - it's a lot of work to get back in there.

they'd be well hidden under the gaucho and bed. the toilet only needs cold water so the longer run shouldn't be too much of a problem; keep the Hot water heater in the kitchen and just run one long line under the beds.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Regarding plumbing concerns - I wonder how A/S gets water to any curbside bathroom, like in a 16' Bambi? Might be worth investigating. I don't think you are going to get a decent flow if your drain valves are on the opposite side from the tank.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
No furnace? That would be an issue for me Otherwise, I think it's an interesting layout. I like flexibility and lounging room. I actually think the original design is just about perfect. Except for the minor hassle of putting the bed up every night, it's got everything you need, lots of storage, and a surprising amount of room for lounging. I also think it has one of the best bathroom designs AS ever made. But since you're starting with a bare slate, might as well make it what you want.

For the toilet, since it sounds like you're barely going to be using it, how about a european style cassette toilet, with a small waste tank you can just remove and dump? That would get away from the whole black tank issue and putting in new dump valves.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post

For the toilet, since it sounds like you're barely going to be using it, how about a european style cassette toilet, with a small waste tank you can just remove and dump? That would get away from the whole black tank issue and putting in new dump valves.
I agree, no need to mess with the black tank if you really don't need to, especially for occasional use. That is why I am turning my black tank for my Tradewind into a gray tank.

I considered cassette toilets as a replacement for the toilet in my Tradewind. I ended up going with a new porti potty by Thetford: Thetford Curve Porta Potti for Sale - PPL Motor Homes

It fits my tight dimension requirements better than the two cassette toilets that are available that might work and is a lot cheaper- less than $150 vs. about $700 for a cassette. They are quite similar. With the poti potty you remove the entire toilet and then dump the lower section (cassette). With a cassette toilet the toilet stays and you just remove the cassette from behind. This means that you need outside access to get to the cassette, so you would need to fabricate an opening and a cover in the side of the Airstream.

Dan
Old 04-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
sonora , California
In my '66 Caravel: The water pipe for the bathroom runs from the front tank at the base of the curbside wall on TOP of the floor under the pull-out bed, thru the closet, to the toilet. Somewhere (?) it must go under the shower floor to the other side of the trailer (water heater, kitchen sink). It's original copper. Drain in near the water heater. Never have had a problem. Pump is at the water tank. I wouldn't mess with thru the wall, etc. -- you want it as accessible as possible.
tonyseidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
In our '65 Caravel the water from the fresh tank, which is located above the floor, against the front wall, is fed out the street side of the tank, rearward above the floor to the pump, then on rearward into the street side closet, then turns to cross the trailer beneath the step over for the shower, then feeds the bath cold water, forward up the curb side to the feed the water heater then on to feed the cold water to the galley. Hot water from the water heater is split to feed the galley forward and the bath rearward.

I must agree with Touring Dan. I really believe the original layout on the 65/66 Caravel is the best use of space in any Airstream ever. The only change I made to ours was to replace the front goucho with a two person dinette.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote