Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 1966-68 Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

On the look out for a family Caravel

I have been looking endlessly for a Caravel for our family. It seems to be the right size for us and towable with our current vehicle.

If any of you see one in a yard or barn and would pass that info on, I would appreciate it. (are you listening Pam?)

We live in So. Cal, but I would be willing to drive if the price was reasonable (not ebay)

Please let me know.

Dieter

kutzweb@yahoo.com
dkutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Argosy 20?

There is an Argosy 20 in Tehachapi offered for sale on E-Bay, that may be a little large/heavy, but could work.. Sleeps 4, dry bath/shower, looked in reasonable condition in photo's, and bid price ~$4k yesterday... It's larger than a Minuet, but single axle, and not as heavy as equivalent Airstream...
Try E-Bay and search for "Argosy" and list in descending $$ value.

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:25 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Argosy's may be airstreams but to me they just aren't the same. I want to see a silver beauty in my driveway. Thanks though.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
off eBay buying

If you don't want eBay, you need to get lucky with your "found-in-the-field" request or you'll have to sit on the off eBay listings -- check them almost daily.

We found ours on Vintage Airstream Club's online classified last fall. The deal was significantly better than a nearly identical one that sold on eBay the same week. We were able to fully inspect it before the purchase but had to travel about 10 hours to do so.

Craig's list is another obvious source. I'm not sure how rvonline.com is, but you never know when the right one pops up.

Good luck. It may take a few months.

63GT
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 09:14 PM   #5

Currently Looking...
4 , Georgia
I saw one in RichardT's photos album, I am not sure if it is for sale or not. he seems to always have quite a few Airstreams. http://photos.yahoo.com/richtrich is where I saw it. Why not contact him and ask? I have been talking to him about his Globetrotter.
Airstoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 09:29 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

thanks thats a nice trailer. I am sure its out of my teachers salary but it never hurts to ask. I tried Instant message but it didn't seem to work I will try again tomorrrow
Old 01-13-2006, 10:54 PM   #7
Vintage RV

1959 24' Tradewind
Atascadero , California
Send a message via Yahoo to plowboy
Don't limit yourself to one particular model. We ended up with a 1959 tradewind (24ft) when we were looking for a 21ft flying cloud etc.? The previous owner thought that it was a flying cloud, but once I saw the pics I could tell that it was longer.

Now we are so glad that we didn't end up with something smaller.
There are, however quite a few models manufactered ranging from 20ft to 25ft.
check the classified on the airstream club WBCCI
plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:55 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Caravel in Seattle....

Not sure if this is available and there is no telephone number listed....
1966 Caravel in Seattle asking $3850.00
contact @ sale-124296199@craigslist.org

Good luck!
Jim Jarzabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:27 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

thanks! I check craigslist all the time and missed that one. Looks like its got some creases in it, but hard to tell from the photos. Thanks for everyones help!

Dieter
Old 01-14-2006, 10:21 AM   #10
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I found mine on RV trader

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I have a 68 Caravel I will be selling in the spring but sooner is OK. If by the price is right you mean below market then I think you will be disappointed. There are pictures of it in my album.
All windows are GLASS. The following are new ( last two years) Full Axel replacement from Inland (pictures and post are on the forum), shocks, tires, wheels, converter, three way fridge, cork floor, all foam and fabric, batteries (2), electric jack, electric hook up with older Marinco 30amp cord, ceiling light lenses replaced with ones that are not dried out. New custom curtains from I believe its Ambrose? in Fla?
I am looking at a 29 footer and I am rebuilding a 59 so I could sell the 68, with or without a 1996 GMC 1500K ext cab sport bed clean 5.7 L truck which has had the 100,000 tune up (nearly a $1000), new brakes, new 4-WD converter. I got me a duramax but was planning and caring for the 96 like I was keeping it for another 5 years.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:27 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

We aren't limited to one model. However we are looking for a pre 1968 (weight) aluminum (not argosy) trailer under 20'. I would love to find one for a good price that needs work, that maybe has been sitting a while and needs TLC. We cannnot afford a restroed beauty nor can we restore a complete mess.

I will keep looking it will show up eventually...
Old 01-15-2006, 11:39 AM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Be patient, it took me about six months to find mine. More will come out of the woodwork in the spring as well. But when you find one, be ready to jump on it!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Dkutz;

We have the 21' Globe Trotter - not much difference between it and the Caravel- you gain in the middle so more kitchen counter space.

We found the dinette layout the best for more useable space in a small trailer. When the table drops out of the way you vitually get two couches face to face - so everyone is happy.

We found ours on the Airstream Corp Classifieds for $4500 - we have put a fair bit into her so far and she was in "good" shape as opposed to many we have seen. Even our 61 was in worse shape and we paid half the above - so be prepared.

If we did it again - we would pay a little more to have a more functional trailer at the beginning - as restoring can be much more expensive than a bigger initial sticker price.

I find the classifieds here and on the VAC - people are just asking rediculous prices for their vintage units - anything over 15K should have some serious renos - with minimum all new running gear and new floor along with all appliances replaced with fully working units. Anyting less is a pie in the sky - and those selling are just waiting for the unsuspecting buyer to come along that has oodles of money.

Good Luck with your search
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 01:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Here is a nice 63 Safari

Your side of the continent - not sure on the price range for you

But she seems to be in not bad shapr for a fixerupper. Touch up the wood replace a few hinges - some soft goods and you have a 3305 drywieght trailer to camp in. She looks like she has some dents and would not venture to take a guess on the running gear.

But buying these old ones - hind sight is always 20/20 number one if the frame is good then everything else should be secondary to getting the running gear in full or replaced order. Like building a house from the ground up. With the foundation being a joint combination of frame and running gear.

We knew the floor was toast in our 61 but wanted to make sure the frame was still good - so we had the PO drill a 3 inch hole right over the frame members in the worst water damage area to make sure the frame had not rotted through.

Although a big job you can get by with replacing portions of the floor - the rest is all cosmetic.

Appliances are next - as they can run you at least $1500-$3000 to replace all the systems on an old trailer. Why the fridge alone can run $1500 for a new one.

There are several other vintage trailers on this listing too that seem to be reasonable.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 03:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
I'll be selling a '62 Bambi very soon, but it doesn't really need any work so is definitely not the "lost-in-a-barn-for-decades" bargain that a lot of people assume is lying around everywhere if we only look hard enough. that's one reason for ebay, because that's where the customers with money go.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
We found our Airstream here under the classifieds and I think we got a great deal, yes some prices on here are way out of the ballpark. The way I think about it they are vintage 30 or more years old there is always going to be something to do (alway's) just with any hobby. We drove 900 miles round trip to pick the trailor up. Have fun looking it took us months and get used to people telling you they have already sold it. It will pop up least expected, we bought ours over the phone 10 mins after he had posted here.

Good Luck,
Becky
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 04:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
http://www.airstream.net/FAQ/FAQ_4.html#Restoring
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:51 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Still looking...any leads out there?
Old 04-10-2006, 11:45 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Patience my A**...

Dieter-

Sorry it's taking so long, but keep looking at Vintage Airstream site ( http://www.airstream.net/classifieds/index ) and RVTraderonline, as well as classifieds here... They're out there, as someone once said famously in the movies, but there aren't many, and they don't stay on market for long... (Unless they are physical disasters and overpriced by a bunch..)

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel