Old 06-20-2005, 11:10 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

New Caravel Owner

Hi,

Just recently the high bidder on a '67 caravel

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

I'm new to airstreams . . . would appreciate some critical observations from a "purist" perspective . . . missing items, non original items, etc.

Thanks!

Old 06-20-2005, 11:40 AM   #2
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Hi Nitty,

Congrats and welcome to the family! I once owned a '67 Caravel. Loved it.

I don't think your painted roof is original. The awnings were added later. The shelf above the fridge was added. I don't know what the circular patch is in front of the water heater... any ideas? And, I suspect Andy will affirm that you need a new axle.

You're off and running! As an old aficionado told me, use it and enjoy it!

Old 06-20-2005, 11:46 AM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The patch is covering the exhaust hole for the Hydroflame heater. Looks like it's been replaced by a catalytic.

Looks like a nice Caravel. Welcome to the forum!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 02:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Nitty.

It appears from the E-bay photos that the axle needs replacing.

Older Bambi's and Caravels are having axle failures, beynd normal, due to the smaller construction, of the axles.

We are replacing them at the rate of over one, per week.

Andy
Old 06-20-2005, 03:17 PM   #5
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
What did I tell ya?
Old 06-20-2005, 03:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Welcome

I was watching that baby! We have a 65 Caravel. What are your plans? Ours is in flux right now, working on it when I can. I bought it for the wife to get her into it...to go out with her girlfriends....I just have to get it ready to go.
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 04:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Hey Nitty...Gritty sorry could not resist...

Nice looking little Caravel - We have a 69 globe Trotter - except for the size and the new windows - the materials used in the 67-68 and 69 are pretty much the same.

Have to disagree on the little shelf above the fridge - it is original - it is the fridge that has been changed. A little newer - stick out just a bit more than the original ...ooops just realized you may have be referring to that banister looking microwave shelf thingy - ugly thingy might add yes that is not original...

Stove is original - and be careful with those square light covers - GOLD MINE and you can put your finger right through them if they have become brittle.

the little brown square wall lights are not original but I think I can see a silver scone light on front left side.

She looks like she has had some water in her about an inch or so deep - tell tale of either a bursted line, blown water pump or leaking hot water tank.

If you are planning on restoring as opposed to refurbing - then take your time with that veneer - it is very delicate - you can sand - but do it by hand and pay particular attention to pressure. The veneer is pretty thin.

If you have to repair any of the veneer you may find some in the closets that you can steel from - if not you will have to find a close match at Home Depot - tough to find mahogany veneer these days.

What else can I see from the pics. Yep there is a catalitic heater replacing the original furnace.

Those would be the original plumbing fixtures and if I am not mistaken the toilet is original too.

The identity placard has been spray painted silver - and needs to be brought back to original colours.

Not sure what the round repair patch is - could have been for the furnace vent - when we take ours off there is a round hole.

Thats all with my version of I spy with my little eye

Anyway you will have ton of fun figuring out all the ins and outs of your new toy. She looks in perfect "restoration" condition - but it will be your choice.

We original bought our GT to fix up how we wanted but then found that it was in much better condition than we thought so we kept it original and just repaired the minor faults rather than change the whole coach. We have purchased a few new appliances - Water heater and Waterpump along with a new toilet and Axle (pending) this week the old one will be taking its journey to Indiana.

Good luck with your restoration. And travels....But take heed on some advice from those who have found out the hard way - take care of the running geer first - the cosmetic and even appliances can all come second.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:14 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Good eye, that's not the original fridge, I missed that one on the first pass. That is the original stove. I agree, the square light covers do get brittle, I poked a hole in one of mine while cleaning them this spring!

Old 06-20-2005, 06:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
..... I agree, the square light covers do get brittle, I poked a hole in one of mine while cleaning them this spring!
Ditto - when Peter and I first went in the GT I was in the back and the bedroom light was a bit discoloured I thought it was dirt - then I wondered what they were made of plastic of opaque glass - a quick tapp of the finger gave me my answer and a gaping ohhhhhh nooooo look what I did. Hubby was not around so I was okay

Not two minutes later Peter comes in and the light in the dinning area got his attention. "hun - what are these light shades made of - as his hand reached up and gave a light tapp of the finger" before I could say no don't touch them!!! - With two now toast and one missing we were on strike three.

Rob and Zoe came through for us and we have all new (second hand ones phew!)

Hey I liked this thread - should be more like this post some pics with mystery stuff in them.....
Old 06-20-2005, 06:53 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Great, thanks for all the replies.

How about the license plate light and the running lights?
Old 06-20-2005, 07:15 PM   #11
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet nitty

Running lights: http://www.airstreamdreams.com/ I assume you want vintage style.

License plate light: http://inlandrv.com/ That's the easiest ... (If you can stand the music)

GOOD LUCK
with the new acquisition!
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:13 PM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Is that Airstream logo on the back the correct one for that year? Its different from the '68 logo on mine.

Old 06-20-2005, 11:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitty
Great, thanks for all the replies.

How about the license plate light and the running lights?

Missed that photo - nope the plate light is way not the original - but your tail lights are good - maybe a few extra reflectors - or running lights but they are the right period.

Also noticed something else inside - the antenna may have been replaced - as there is a new lifter arm right by the light - and to the right and back toward the kitchen is a rivited hole in the ceiling - that is where the original crank was - we have the same in our GT but looking for an original crank arm - just another one of those real brittle items - that broke upon contact - yikes.
...and Steph you are right on that "Aistream" came from the 80's - good thing you can still get a replica of the Airstream plate for the 60's trailers. Not sure if that white paint looks that great on the older trailers - on the newer - wider and higher trailers you don't see it - out of sight out of mind I suppose.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:58 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

You saved it!

Congratulations! It was heading for a painful dissection. Hope you get years of enjoyment traveling in it!

Tags
caravel