Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 1966-68 Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2005, 08:51 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
My gosh, it does seem to be painted silver! I have a bit of problem with that too--though fortunately, they didn't paint much of our exterior. It looks like this was a fairly smooth job--I'll just my fingers that you don't face bad surface prep practices, as Uwe mentions...

I believe there is a special ring in Purgatory for the folks who go mad with silver paint. I understand it's close to the place for the folks who go crazy with latex paint and silicone sealer...

Pretty nifty little trailer, Nitty!

Mary
Old 06-27-2005, 09:26 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Areas where the silver paint are flaking off have bright shiny smooth aluminum, no primer underneath. I'm hopeing it will all be like that, nice, well protected metal once that paint comes off. Hope springs eternal!
nitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:22 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Barkingdogg

Airstreams have been equipped with Henschen axles since 1961.

Regardless of the year, or wheel well design, you should see some of the tire "above" the wheel.

When you look at photo's then, it becomes obvious that the axle is shot, when the top of the wheel is partially hidden by the wheel well moldings.

If the axle or axles are good, you should see at least 1 to 2 iches of the tire, above the top of the wheel.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 08:47 PM   #24
Bob

1966 17' Caravel
St. Petersburg , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Bob Lindstrom Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Lindstrom
Welcome, You are hearing from the experts. Their advice is the best. I got my 66 Caravel a couple years ago and the first major thing I did was the new axel. Well worth the time and $. Now mine tows like a dream and has brakes! If you have refurbished or restored anything before you will do fine with the Caravel. All the info is here in the forum or will be when you ask.
Good Luck and Enjoy
Bob
Courtesy Parking - Under 24 Feet.
Bob Lindstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 08:50 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
Hi,
I have read other sites or comments about axles which say you need a certain degree of angle when the trailer is jacked up which our Caravel has ( would have to search again to find specifics, but were ok at time I was looking). The ride seems to be good. It does not bounce or sway. I'm not sure what the down side is to our current situation. I certainly believe in maintainance to prevent problems.
Barkingdogg
Barkingdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 05:59 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Well . . . just learned of the likelyhood that I will be relocating to Alaska, and now need to consider selling this! Any interest, please send PM. Thanks.
nitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 06:57 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

I noticed something about Indiana in your post. I just inherited a Caravel which is in Indiana. Do you know anyone there who could look at it for me? I would like to get it up on wheels and in towing condition so I can bring it here (upstate, NY) to work on.
Thanks
DeDe
De Nerenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:17 PM   #28

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Holy change-of-plans, Batman! Nitty, have you even got it home yet? You know, it would still be fun in Alaska, lots of camping oppotunities up there!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel