Old 06-16-2008, 09:56 AM   #43
1 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
1972 21' Globetrotter
rochester , New York
You need one of these

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls View Post
Modarch, The shower trap is threaded on to the strainer you see from the top. You will have to cut the 1 1/2" black pipe close to the trap to have room to turn the whole thing and most likely will have to have someone inside with a tool to hold the stainer from turning. I've used the handles of pliers to hold the strainer. There's "goop" in the threads, probably dried, so it may be pretty stiff. Darol
This tool is what I used. Brasscraft Tub Drain Removal Tool $8.95 Available at home depot. you can put a wrench right on it.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:03 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Rather than drilling holes in the lid, why not bend the lid 90 degrees up and attach it to the ribs (as you've shown for the blue 'L'), rather than sandwitch it under the floor? This effectively turns the lid of the storage compartment into a piece of flashing. With the exterior skin lapping over the bent upright leg of the lid, water can't find its way into the trailer.

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Good ideas

Cameront and Zep --

Good ideas. I'll check things out when I get home.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:23 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Best idea so far

This looks like the best way so far to seal the rear bumper. After seeing parts in hand, the outer flash idea seems too fragile for use on the road. Too bad.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear_bumper_wrap2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	62475  
Old 06-17-2008, 09:34 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
The problem with what you propose is that if the sealant fails (and it will) all parts are directing water inward. Hydrostatic pressure will draw water to the interior of your trailer through the smallest of holes. So in the end, you're slowing the inevitable, rather than preventing it. If it were me, I would fabricate a new 'trunk' lid that can serve as a flashing per my illustration. You want to have a physical barrier which prevents water ingress. I would recommend that anyone who is interested in this sort of thing read up on rainscreen principles of building envelope design. It is becoming standard practice in Architecture and the theory and practice can be applied to trailers to help keep moisture out. Another factor is driven rain whilst driving. That will compound the issue and calls for even more attention to preventing water from getting through the cracks, so to speak.

Edited to add: I mentioned that rainscreen principles would be a practical application in trailers. What I should have said is the use of flashings and in some cases membranes could be useful in trailer applications. There is a lot that would not be useful. The theory and principles still might prove interesting and useful for those curious about it.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:38 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I agree with Cameron. His "reversed L" flashing is a much better idea than mine. Who cares if water drips into the bumper locker?

Fabrication is not going to be easy for the 70s models--the shell to bumper lid angle is acute and there is a slight curve in the shell at either end of the locker.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:52 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
Who cares if water drips into the bumper locker?
As long as the water has a way of draining out, it shouldn't be a problem. Perhaps the modified L flashing could be fabricated out of the same aluminum as the skin. Place an aluminum angle on top of the 'trunk', creating a dam which would prevent water from moving towards the trailer and have the flashing come down over top of this dam.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rear_bumper_wrap.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	62486  
Old 06-17-2008, 12:12 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Now I get it

Cameront-

Now I see what you mean. I was stuck on fastening a good seal to prevent the original problem. Your drawing explains it well.

Thanks!

John
Old 06-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Hope that helped

Modarch-

I hope you consider the last discussion as a help, not a hijack!

John
Old 06-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Thompsons Station , Tennessee
65CV- all is good. It was a topic that I have been curious about as well, and everyone posted some good ideas.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:18 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
Cameront-

Now I see what you mean. I was stuck on fastening a good seal to prevent the original problem. Your drawing explains it well.

Thanks!

John
Hopefully it's not easier said than done!
Old 03-30-2009, 09:30 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Thompsons Station , Tennessee
Spring updates

Thought I would post a few progress photos. It has been a long time since I have posted, and have been busy at work on the weekends. The end of May will be the 1 yr. anniversary since this resto began, and I am getting very anxious about getting her out to camp. First photo is looking back at the wardrobes. I decided to take them full height. Also decided to make the curb side wardrobe with shelves, and keep the hanging stuff on the street side. In the last photo you can see a mock up of the cabinet doors- decided to go with a inlaid panel design. Finish will be several coats of linseed oil with a wipe on poly sealer. The heart or the maple is very evident on this door, not so much on the others...

Second photo shows the fabrics I have chosen. There are samples of all the materials in the trailer- Marmoleum floor and counter, aluminum backsplash, red 2 part epoxy for architectural accents (fridge vent and bathroom). Got the red idea from a Caravel that just happens to be for sale currently in the classifieds. I saw it when it was up for sale last year! Bottom brown fabric is the upholstery (www.winterbeachmodern.com) and the curtains are the brown/ blue wire (www.modern-fabrics.com). The owner of the second web site is also an Airstreamer! Both of these sites have great deals on great designer fabrics, and I couldn't even come close to their prices with the discounts I can get at work! Walls were painted with Sherwin Williams Worldly Grey.

I did go out on a limb and switch up the floor plan a bit up front. Decided to go to a '66 Caravel layout with the front slide gaucho instead of the L shaped one. I like the end tables for a place to set drinks, etc- and it sits better w/o bumping legs at the inside corner. Also the added few inches of length up front allows for easier sleeping for an average adult.

Contemplating a dinning table that will be about 18x36, and will be mounted on a post (type available at VTS) and will sit under the front gaucho cushion when not in use. We will rarely use it (unless it rains or it's unbearably hot) so the small amount or work to get it out and put it up isn't too big of deal.

3rd and 4th photos show gaucho progress. That is my cabinet buddy helping me out. Couldn't do it w/o him. He is quite an accomplished woodworker who is really digging Airstreams since he started this project w/ me. He is for hire if anyone needs some help. He is an architect by trade like me. His house is full of beautiful furniture that he has designed and built.

Kitchen has all new appliances, and decided to go with the gas range and microwave. I will only miss the oven when I crave a frozen pizza!

Everything you can't see- all new subfloor with epoxy sealer, frame members re-welded where necessary and POR-15'ed, new Axis axel from GSM (Very happy with Colin's customer service and knowledge, and of course price!), new H2o heater, new toilet, new A/C from Family RV (went ahead and ran a condensate line down the wall- a real PAIN!), new fantastic, new glazing on a few windows from Inland, and new rockguard from VTS, etc and etc. BIG props to all the vendors- Inland, GSM and VTS. They are just as passionate about Airstreams as we all are and it shows!

Roof lockers will have a unique design that I am excited about. Not sure how we are going to pull it off, but we are experimenting... Stay tuned.

This has been the single most exciting project that I have ever undertaken. It has been the most rewarding thing I have ever done. I was scared stiff of what I got into when starting it, but with the help of all the good people here on the forums anything is possible. Oh- and you need an understanding wife who is just as excited about it as you are and you have to sell a kidney !

Enjoy!
-modarch
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM3026.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	77681   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM3109.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	77682  

Name:	HPIM3117.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	77683   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM3126.JPG
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	77684  

Name:	HPIM3129.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	77685   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM3132.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	77686  

Name:	HPIM3135.JPG
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	77687  
Old 03-30-2009, 10:02 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Mountainous , Utah
Nice work! I'm in the "epoxy the floor sections and install them" phase . Can't wait to get to the fun stuff like your doing now. I have an idea for the bathroom that I haven't seen anyone do before. . .I'll post when it happens.

Dan
65 Caravel
Old 04-08-2009, 07:53 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Great progress

Modarch-

Just came across the pics of your progress.

Great job!

Keep up the good work -- and the pics.

John

Tags
caravel