Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 1966-68 Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2009, 10:56 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
1976 Argosy 26
Salt lake city , Utah
67 caravel

cool website for metal. Will have to see what we can come up with! Any one know the why or how of a propane operated A/C? My A/C has a copper line running to it and I do not know ho wit would have worked. Is there a pilot light?
Any comments appreciated, Ben
ben edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:44 PM   #42

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I don't think there is propane operated A/C. At least I've never heard of such a thing. Are you sure it's not a drain tube? A/C produces condensation that needs to be drained away from the unit.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:09 AM   #43
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben edwards View Post
cool website for metal. Will have to see what we can come up with! Any one know the why or how of a propane operated A/C? My A/C has a copper line running to it and I do not know ho wit would have worked. Is there a pilot light?
Any comments appreciated, Ben
The copper tubing attached to the inside AC pan, is a drain line for the water that the AC collects when in operation.

"LPG" is "never" used in any RV AC system.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:35 AM   #44
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Are you sure that it is an AC unit and not a swamp cooler? The copper line could be the water supply line.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
1976 Argosy 26
Salt lake city , Utah
Caravel

Decided to sell the Caravel and keep my 25' as our family trailer. Old house issues keep coming up and I have not been able to finish the interior counter top or start polishing.
I have it listed in the classifieds and I am open to any offers.
Oh ya! that copper line is the A/C drip line.
Thanks, Ben
ben edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:10 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Ben,

Very excited to see your Caravel. We seem to have the exact layout, wall mounts, lighting, color scheme, woodwork, latches, etc. This is very exciting to me. I can now continue to search for an answer to my question regarding the window set ups. In regards to the mechanism over the kitchen window and the track set up (or lack there of) to create tension in the curtains on the curb side windows. What is in place in your Caravel?

I have posted my @#$% that looks like a $2.09 household curtain rod purchased in Walmart or such, that was turned sideways to hold the button tab curtain hooks. I can't imagine this was original. Looks like a chop job to me.

The second concern or disappointment I have is a lack of understanding of how the curtains were mounted on the wall that cover the curb side windows. I have the standard track on the top but then I have this metal spring that extends from one edge of the window frame to the other that the curtains slide back and forth on. In the 68 model there is a track. I have been in other Caravels and seen no bottom track. Do you have a bottom track to hold the curtain bottom? Is there any evidence of holes, mountings, etc. that give hints to what really belongs in this thing? Again I can't believe this is original and if it was I may have a tough time with that because it is not functional the curtains get caught on the rod and don't smoothly move as they should.

Thanks for the help.

Robin
PS I may not be up on the mechanical stuff but I try to maintain the other more girl like features of my trailer, original color scheme etc.
PSS Yes mine. Richard has Henry the 56' (We have His and Hers Airstreams) LOL

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
hello, we now have a caravanner. On the caravel over the kitchen winoow was a window shade. We did have the origiinal curtains and they had both a top and bottom rail. the botton rail looked like a piece of metal and special hooks are needed to connect curtain to it. Then i decided to replace the curtains with blinds.
As for a source of curtain rods try vintage trailer supply and I found a site through RJ site on where to buy new hooks. I was gong to have curtains replaced but the lady took too long, anyway I did leave curtains in front as we had curved front window.
Feel free to send me a private message if i did not explain it well.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:01 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Hi Gail,

Thanks for the info. Let me be sure I understand. When you are talking about the window set up is this the 56 Caravanner set up or like us do you have two Airstreams and you are describing the set up in a 67 Caravel?

Ahhhh Malibu, we have family in or close to Malibu...our 56th family reunion this year was a catered beach party in Malibu.

Robin

Old 12-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
You asked about window treatements for Caravel. if you reread the post i said now we have a caravanner but i was telling you about Caravel windows and window treatments. Yes we have nice beaches here! We are blessed.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:44 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Hi,

I get it. Thanks Gail. Since I last posted I have gone again to the archive photos and I think I see evidence of someone else with what may be the spring similar to mine on the curb side windows.

In general I am trying to not disturb anything in my Caravel that is original. It came to me pretty complete and untouched. I'm willing to work the problem if that's what was really in the trailer but if not well I will rip it out and try to replace it with what it is suppose to have.

Thanks for the info.

Robin

Old 12-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Mountainous , Utah
Robin,

Ben sold (flipped) the Caravel last August but I think he still has a 74 dual axle Airstream as seen in post #1.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #52

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben edwards View Post
I never got around to polishing the trailer as it is just to cold, but I wanted to do something with the looks of the trailer so I found a local hot rod fabrication guy to hand build a one off a/c cover that would fit the looks of the caravel.
The cover is all aluminum, has over a hundred louvers and is made up of 3 pcs. riveted together. I own and have owned all sorts of hot rods and old Volkswagens and I am very happy w/ the look.
We are going inside the trailer and doing some metal work on the oven vent up the wall , countertops and fridge front.
Let me know what you think. Ben
Ben:
I'd like to buy a cover like yours- can I get the name & phone number of the person that made it for you? Please?
Mike
202 439 3506
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel