Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 1966-68 Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2003, 08:59 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Is this the city water hookup?

I pulled the cushions off the gaucho and was looking down into the storage area where the battery is, when I pulled away a black plastic trash bag and it was covering this up. Is this the city-water hookup? It looks like a hose connection. I can't tell for sure from the manual and didn't want to mess with it until I knew.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 09:01 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Sorry, forgot the picture. My first picture post, let's see if it works...
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2003, 08:08 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Yeah, that looks like it to me. That device it goes into looks just like my water pressure regulator. I would assume that the black hose came with the unit, and that the black circle is a hole to the outside of the coach I would recommend going with the white sanitary water hose.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 09:20 AM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
just wondering: is this the thing that needs to be replaced on my coach? I have a slow leak out the city water connection when using the on-board water with the pump. or does adjusting the nut on top of the regulator control this in some way? I know there's a check-valve of some sort somewhere in the system, but I can' t seem to locate it. or does this device in the picture only regulate inbound water pressure from the city line?

mine is in a tough location, in the rear of the trailer, in the corner between the sink and the shower. I can see it, but I'll be darned if I could ever actually remove/replace it from there, without ripping apart half the bathroom. wondering if this performs the same function as the check-valve, or if the check valve is hidden somewhere in this general vicinity.....
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 09:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
There is a brass check valve on the supply side of the regulator. It probably needs cleaning or replacement. An easy fix would be to get a threaded brass male hose bibb plug and stick it in your city water connection. As far as removing the entire regulator/check valve/pop off assembly it is not too bad if your coach has copper piping, just unsweat it and remove it all in one piece. Most all the components will unscrew from one another, replace them and then sweat the entire assembly back in place.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 09:34 AM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Cool, I was beginning to think it didn't have a connection for the water hookup, just the fresh water tank. The manual is hard to figure out, because almost everything in it says 'except 17ft models', which of course is the only one I care about!

Old 05-06-2003, 09:59 AM   #7
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Chas: my problem is more of an "access" one than anything. can't get at the darned thing. I don't have a pic handy, but the bathroom layout looks like it my be similar to your argosy...toilet to the left, sink in the middle, shower to the right if you're looking back at the bathroom from the front of the trailer. the pressure regulator is visible if you open up the vanity cabinet, stick your head all the way in, and turn to the right. there's some dead space in there where the sink/counter wraps around into the shower. no way I can see to actually put one's hands on it, without removing the sink and/or shower. unless there's a trick?????

I tried putting a hose-bib into the city outlet, but it still leaked out around it, anyway. couldn't get it to seal up good. funny, it doesn't leak when a hose is pushing water in.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 10:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Chuck,

Sounds like a pita! My Overlander has the rear hatch that gets you access to most all the plumbing, lucky me I guess. My Argosy had it in the rear closet, easy to get to after removing the closet bottom.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote