Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2019, 04:50 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
PINE PLAINS , New York
Is Black Tank Cleaning Method GEO a No-Go on 1966 Caravel

Good morning. I am hoping someone is out there who can lend some advice. I recently bought a 1966 Airstream Caravel '17 [yay!] I am hoping to take her on a maiden voyage this weekend. I want to clean out the black tank and was planning to deploy the "GEO method" which is written about extensively in other forums. However, I don't see how it will work on this model because the gray water just runs out - in other words, all the Calgon and Dawn would end up going into the (blue) portable gray tank, completely bypassing the place I was hoping to cleanse. Is there an alternative method I can use? This trailer sat, covered, for 8 years, and so I want to be sure that I get it purged so that I don't experience an unanticipated "adventure".

Apologies if this has been covered but my broad search for blank tanks in this forum did not yield any threads. Thanks!
lakemaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:29 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
As long as the dump valve doesn't leak, and when you look into the tank it doesn't look like Mount Poopmore, go camping and enjoy your newsed Airstream. It's not like you're going to be drinking out of the black tank.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:52 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
^
X2

Our '63 Safari black tank worked fine for 18 Seasons. One of the few things that needed nothing but routine flushing. Did replace the valve when we bought it.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-26-2019, 06:00 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
PINE PLAINS , New York
Thank you Robert. I think it is the "routine flushing" concept I am struggling to understand. If you pour water in the bowl, it just goes straight into the gray tank. I surely do not want urine in there, and the solids won't dump if they are separated from the liquids. Dump valve is fine. But is there something else I need to be doing? I surely do not want anyone to use the toilet until I get this "sorted"...thanks!
Old 07-26-2019, 06:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
How are you separaring urine from solids,,,they both go in the black tank? Water in the toilet bowl goes into the black tank. The geo method is for the toilet, hence the black tank.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
There is no gray waste water tank in your trailer (if it is original), the blue portable tank acts as the gray.

Solids and liquids that go into the toilet bowl go directly into the black tank. If there is buildup, you should be able to look through the toilet bowl into the black tank and see it when the black tank is emptied.

Routine flushing is when you open the valve to dump the waste out of the black tank then additionally pour water into/through the toilet to remove/rinse away residue from the black tank and pipes beyond.

The Geo method is enhancing the cleaning action of routine flushing. The water softener/soap/bleach stays in the tank as you add poop/urine. This combination of cleaners loosens old dry/hardened stuff as you add new stuff. During the next routine dump/flushing hopefully some of the old stuff gets washed away.

I've been using the Geo method for more than a decade. It works!

ps:
I do not use the bleach every time in the Geo method. Soap and water softener without the bleach works fine. I see no reason to try to sterilize the black tank, then add contamination immediately afterward. I think too much bleach does harm to the rubber seals in the dump valve.

ps2:
When opening the valve from the black tank it should be dumping into a dump station or sewer pipe. I never dump the black tank into the portable tank.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:43 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
PINE PLAINS , New York
Then, I must have a real problem because I took a 2.5 gal bucket of water, put it into the bowl [to be sure there were no leaks] and it went straight into the gray tank. Is there a lever or something I should be moving to redirect the "flow" [which at this horrible moment, is also the name of my trailer..."Flo[w]" - but it had an Airstream flowing down the highway kind of intent, not the kind we are presently discussing...]
Old 07-26-2019, 06:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
yes, there should be a valve somewhere. I do not know the location in your specific trailer.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
You do not have a gray tank. Do you mean toilet bowl or sink?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:59 AM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakemaiden View Post
Thank you Robert. I think it is the "routine flushing" concept I am struggling to understand. If you pour water in the bowl, it just goes straight into the gray tank. I surely do not want urine in there, and the solids won't dump if they are separated from the liquids. Dump valve is fine. But is there something else I need to be doing? I surely do not want anyone to use the toilet until I get this "sorted"...thanks!
As others have noted above...if your unit is stock,(with one tank), that tank is black, with a valve to dump.
Our grey water went into a large plastic dish pan with holes in the bottom, thru a couple layers of cheesecloth that could be thrown out, the entire thing sitting on the ground in a 'honey hole'.

Boy we are old... 😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-26-2019, 11:37 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
It sounds like the valve for the black tank is open if water poured into the toilet immediately goes into your blue tank. Check the handle you (should) find inside the compartment between the rear bumper and the back of the trailer. That handle should be pushed in almost to the back of the trailer. The black tank in a Caravel is small enough that you can see the outlet in the bottom if you hold the toilet valve open. If you put a light on the ground under the outlet pointing up into the outlet, you should be able to see light when the toilet valve is open if the dump valve is open. No light if the dump valve is closed. I assume your Caravel is much like mine in that the dump opening beneath the trailer is basically straight down from the black tank and ends slightly below the metal arch on the frame next to the dump opening.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Oh, yeah. One method to clean the black tank is to put about 3 - 4 pounds of ice in the tank with a little water and the dump valve closed. Tow the trailer around a bit right after putting the ice in then dump the tank using the large dump hose. The ice scours the tank for you.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:17 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
PINE PLAINS , New York
This is a helpful tip. I finally got the black tank valve to close by pushing it in and then turning the T valve to the right...it seemed to lock simehow. At any rate, it's been holding soapy water for about 6 hours.

And then the water pump sprung a leak when I tried to drain the front tank...with the help of a neighbor got the crossover valve repaired, only to discover that the water pump filter is leaking. I feel like I am in an Airstream version of Whack-a-mo.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. Normal. Find and fix one thing, and another throws a fit to get your attention. It’s part of Murphy’s Law, not just Airstreams.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:24 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
PINE PLAINS , New York
I am 100 percent with you on the 2nd PS! Thanks for your detailed account.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
This is a helpful tip. I finally got the black tank valve to close by pushing it in and then turning the T valve to the right...it seemed to lock simehow. At any rate, it's been holding soapy water for about 6 hours.

And then the water pump sprung a leak when I tried to drain the front tank...with the help of a neighbor got the crossover valve repaired, only to discover that the water pump filter is leaking. I feel like I am in an Airstream version of Whack-a-mo.
Quote:
I am 100 percent with you on the 2nd PS! Thanks for your detailed account.
Once you learn how your trailer works, and to do normal maintenance and simple repairs, it will be a lot easier see beyond those minor troubles and to move on to the fun stuff. Go camping!
Old 07-26-2019, 01:56 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
This is a link to an Owners Manual for a 1965 Caravel. Could not find a 1966, but this should be very similar to your trailer. Hope this helps!

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...manual-103.pdf
Old 07-26-2019, 09:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
You might consider a new water filter, maybe a new water pump if what you have looks like something out of the 1930's. A new water pump will be quieter and have a working check valve so you can hook up to city water and not have water back up into your water tank. Be sure to check the water lines for leaks, especially if the lines are still copper. If you need to replace water lines, learn to do PEX.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:14 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
PINE PLAINS , New York
Well, I was thinking more along the lines of enjoying a fine glass of wine and a delicious camp fire meal made from my sweet, vintage AS kitchen than becoming a master mechanic...:/ I am bracing for today's adventure, my inaugural trip to the dump station and cooktop lighting.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:30 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
The good news is that our 1966 Airstreams are still on the road after 53 years.

The bad news is that those years leave behind some wear, tear, and obsolescence. You don't need to become a master mechanic, but you do need reasonable handy-person skills. By the very nature of camping, you won't be near civilization when Murphy's Law throws a curve.

Good news again. The systems in your trailer are simple and easy to learn. There are many here willing to help.

Enjoy that delicious meal and fine glass of wine when you get there. Be patient with the old girl until you do.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1966, caravel