Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2004, 11:39 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Stef,
Maybe it's just me being naive, but everything I've done so far that seems huge and scary and insurmountable has been just a bunch of courage, elbow grease and patience. Your husband is probably right, and if you have it open and want to keep this trailer for a long time, fix it now.

Good luck!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 02:37 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
The next NW Forum rally will be held in my front yard! I've got work enough for everyone !
Just say when.....Battle Ground Lake is in your back yard.....right??

Quote:
I'll bet we could have the little Caravel fixed and back on the road in one long weekend!
Don't count on me to fix anything (unless it has four legs).....I'll give you moral support....and some hot mulled wine And with 3M's(really 4M's )Argosy's bacon I think it's do-able!!

(PS-Looking for an excuse to come to WA)

Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 09:46 AM   #43

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
BG Lake is in our front yard, actually! We should have a little get together there. But if Jim brings that wine again, nobodys touching the trailer

I'm heading out to Home Depot to look over flooring samples and see if I can rent a tool to take up the old vinyl. I've seen them in pictures, it looks like a thin flat shovel - gets under the vinyl. The guy who put it down used pleanty of glue!

I'm thinking I'd like to put down yellow flooring again, but something without a pattern. The trailer has a yellow countertop, and yellow in the bathroom. Plus the vinyl wall covering sort of has a yellow to it (probably age related). I figure why fight it, plus it'll be bright and sunny inside.

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 11:00 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
Ok Gary - here's an idea for a winter rally. Stephanie and I will bring our trailers to your neighborhood - then you can talk us through replacing our univolts (something I've been thinking of doing too with an intellipower). I'll bring bacon!
What do ya think?
Marc
I've done it before and I can do it again. It is not hard at all.
Mine took me about 3/4 of an hour to repalce. I kept the old Fuse panel, I saw no need to replace it. Works fine now.
Any help I can give let me know. Next rally let me know and I'll bring my tools and we'll replace it.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:20 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Paint scrapers and VCT...

Stephanie,

Is your existing flooring in squares or a continuous sheet? If it is squares you might be able to get it up OK with a broad flat bladed paint scraper and a rubber mallet. The squares might very well crack into smaller pieces no matter what tool you use and you probably will have to go over the floor with something to scrape it down anyway. I had parquet squares in the kitchen area of my unit when I first got it. They, of course, were thicker than linoleum squares and popped off with a small pry bar. I found a good pull type paint scraper worked for getting the glue residue off. I am not at all sure now why I bothered since that old floor is now long gone.

You might want to take a look at the Armstrong vinyl composition tiles (VCT) at Home Depot. They are the ones that you have to use seperate adhesive to lay down (as opposed to the peel and stick type). They are about 1/8" thick and the color goes all the way through. Good solid stuff and reasonably priced too.
Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:58 PM   #46

1968 17' Caravel
Hi Malcolm, I'm actually looking at the Armstrong Marmolette linoleum, in sheets. The existing floor is sheet vinyl, but it's a bit of a patchwork where they fit it in this way and that under the furniture. It looks good in the walking area. I don't think I'm going to worry about going under the furniture so much.

I'd like to put a yellow floor back in it, so I'm looking at Straw Yellow. I went and ordered a sample today so I can check it out in person.

I'd also like to do a new table with a fun pattern with some yellow in it, but I haven't found what I'm looking for in the Formica section yet. Time to search the net. I'd love to find something with boomerangs or an atomic pattern. I love that fun retro stuff.

I also got a sturdy paint scraper, and will be peeling up some of that old floor tonight to see what's under there.

Old 12-01-2004, 07:57 PM   #47

1968 17' Caravel
Well, I found a big patch in the floor across the very front of the trailer, under where the fresh water tank would have been.

The vinyl is really stuck down, I seem to alternate between just taking off the top layer, or gouging up wood. It's hard work, and I barely made a dent in it! I see now which part of this project is going to take the most time!

Old 12-01-2004, 08:25 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Stephanie,

I have some pointers to laminate information as follows:

Wilsonart:
http://www.wilsonart.com/laminate/co...ucts/index.asp

Custom Wilsonart: You supply the graphics of anything you want.
http://www.tapeease.com/custom_laminate.htm

And just for good measure a site that sells all sorts of very cool retro fabric that could be used for curtains, etc. Look especially at the Interior Design Textiles button. I wonder if you could glue fabric on your table and add several layers of polyvarathane or a pour on clear resin?
http://www.contemporarycloth.com/

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:49 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
I'm afraid this is going to be expensive...

Greetings Stephanie!

Quote:
Well, I found a big patch in the floor across the very front of the trailer, under where the fresh water tank would have been.

The vinyl is really stuck down, I seem to alternate between just taking off the top layer, or gouging up wood. It's hard work, and I barely made a dent in it! I see now which part of this project is going to take the most time!
I haven't tried this method in an Airstream, but I did use this technique to remove sheet vinyl from my kitchen floor after the flood of 1993. I used a heat gun set on low heat with an extra-wide concentrator nozzle (about 3.5") to heat the vinyl ahead of a 6" heavy-duty paint scraper. It was still tedious work, but the heat would soften the mastic enough to release most of the tile and its backing. This is one of those methods that requires breathing protrection and good ventilation as the fumes can be noxious.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 09:07 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Connecting my post last night with Kevin's post -- the reason the user can hardly smell the work when wearing a good paint spray respirator is that the filter canister removes organic materials -- whether it's the obnoxious solvent in RotDoctor or fumes from heating tiles like Kevin mentions. A worthy very small investment for pulmonary health!! Just use with good ventilation so that sufficient oxygen is in the environment where you're working.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 10:00 PM   #51
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
I'd also like to do a new table with a fun pattern with some yellow in it, but I haven't found what I'm looking for in the Formica section yet. Time to search the net. I'd love to find something with boomerangs or an atomic pattern. I love that fun retro stuff.
Most kitchen remodeling places have the whole Formica and Wilsonart chains. The big box home stores only show approx 25% of the available (if that much) styles. If you have a decent one in your area, they should be willing to at least let you see the chain, and may let you borrow it for a day or two to check colors. The retro stuff is back in vogue, so you could go with a jetsons table top if you want to.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 05:00 AM   #52
1 Rivet Member

Steph,
You go girl!!!! steve o
steve O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:36 AM   #53

1968 17' Caravel
Thanks, Steve-o

Hey, I really like that fabric and clear resin idea. I think I might try something like that. I'm saving the original tabel so I can go back to it if I want to, so I'm free to play around with being creative on the new tabletop.

Thanks for the reminder on the paint respirator, Bob. I think I'll order one of those before I do any heat work on the vinyl.

Old 12-02-2004, 11:54 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
...I used a heat gun set on low heat with an extra-wide concentrator nozzle (about 3.5") to heat the vinyl ahead of a 6" heavy-duty paint scraper...
I used to heat square floor tiles for removal with an iron (like you're supposed to be using on clothes ).

Put an old dishtowel over the tile first, and iron that. It may be a bit slower than Kevin's idea, but I do not recall any fumes. Plus, I was able to reuse the tile if it was necessary.

Do hold the starch though.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:51 PM   #55

1968 17' Caravel
Great, I can just hear my hubby..."You won't iron my shirts, but look at you now!"

Old 12-05-2004, 11:30 AM   #56

1968 17' Caravel
I haven't had a chance to go iron the floor yet, but I did go to the unit's Christmas Luncheon yesterday, and ran into the PO of my trailer. He has been following this thread, so he already knew about the hole in the floor. He said he put the plywood over the soft spot years ago, and if he'd known then what he knows now, he would have used some stop-rot on it to stop it from becoming a big hole. He said he also did the repair under the watertank, which I am just starting to get a look at as I peel up the old vinyl, and he fixed another hole by the door where the door gasket had let water in. I'll see that one when I get that vinyl up. He also encouraged me to take off the bellypan. He said he'd never had it off on the Caravel, but he has done it on his early 70s Safari and it is no problem to get off and back on again, so that encouraged me a bit.

Hopefully today I'll have a chance to get out and see if I can get up more of that vinyl!

Old 12-05-2004, 05:29 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Gary,

What is a smart charger and what is the title of your post where you've mentioned it before...I think it's a great idea.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:44 PM   #58

1968 17' Caravel
Astrodokk, I think the Smart Charger is an add on to the Intellipower. Try looking that up.

I tried the ironing method and indeed it softens up the vinyl enough to peel it off the floor - sloooowly. Unfortunately I've found soft spots by the front, door, and under the fridge. I've also found the POs repairs by the door.

I told my husband this is going to be more extensive than I thought to begin with, and he just gave me that look. I figured it would be easier now if he started getting used to the idea.

Old 12-07-2004, 08:36 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
If you have that much softness, you may want to consider replacing the whole floor

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 09:26 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
So it's the Full Monty?
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote