Old 03-15-2005, 11:09 AM   #197
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Did you get the heater put in. Here's a soure for those busbars
http://www.pkys.com/Blue_Sea/index.htm
You can look up the price on the pricelist link.

You will want some connectors to go with those and not just wrap the wire around. Can also be had at most napa auto stores, ect

http://order.waytekwire.com/CGI-BIN/...A45892+M37+ENG

Old 03-15-2005, 12:16 PM   #198

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I haven't got the heater in yet, but I worked on it yesterday. Of course, since every AS is different, it's not fitting into my Caravel as easily as it fit into the other one Darol did. My wheel well is in the way of putting it where I can use the exisiting vent hole. I can't cut a new hole above the existing hole because a crossbeam in the wall is there. I can't move it towards the rear because a rib is there. But it's close, so I think it will work. I might just need a little extention to get the exhaust to come out where I want it. Time to go wander the aisles at HD. I'll try to get a picture up tonight.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:52 PM   #199

1968 17' Caravel
Here's a picture of the heater. It's sitting on a 7 1/2 inch platform, which lifts it up enough to clear the wheelwell liner and still be in line with the hole in the wall. It looks like there will be enough room above the hole to cut a new exhaust hole without hitting the crossbeam. I'm going to have to move the copper pipes out of the way though. I think I can move them up a little bit without too much trouble.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newheat.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	10926  

Old 03-15-2005, 03:37 PM   #200
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I'll order one and hope to get it in. If not I'll use it in "The Bat Cave Express". I wonder of that wheel well liner is really necessary?
Old 03-15-2005, 03:45 PM   #201
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
I wonder of that wheel well liner is really necessary?
If you remove it you'll expose the fiberglass insulation. You could remove that too, and replace with rigid foam but it wouldn't give you much extra space.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 05:37 PM   #202

1968 17' Caravel
I did cut away some of the plastic wheelwell cover, and the metal liner is immediately underneith it. It gave me a little more space, but not enough to get things lined up the way I wanted.

Old 04-05-2005, 03:32 PM   #203

1968 17' Caravel
Just a quick update. I haven't touched the trailer since my last post, because other commitments have gotten in the way. So today I got out and started reassembling the interior, ignoring for now the gaping holes where the heater, fridge and stove go. I am putting the gaucho back in, the curtains, and the table, basically everything needed to call it complete, and will worry about the appliances as soon as I can. All this in the hopes I can actually stay in it weekend after next at the BG Lake forum rally.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:45 PM   #204

1968 17' Caravel
I spent the afternoon test fitting appliances and cutting holes in my trailer!

I determined the best spot for the furnace, and laid out the marks for the exhaust, then pulled out the dremel. In no time I had a nice rectangular hole through the wall. It ended up directly above the old circular exhaust hole. I have a piece of aluminum to patch it with (just came today - thanks, Brett & Rich). I think it will look pretty good with the cover on.

I also test fitted the fridge, trying to determine how it will fit. Right now it is sitting on a temporary shelf just for fitting. It is a bit shorter, mostly because all the controls are on the back instead of underneith, which boosted the old fridge up several inches. It is also a little bit narrower.

I'm going to dedicate the evening to getting these roughed in, as I have an appointment to have new propane lines fitted for these two appliances (the old heater line won't reach, and the fridge line got stepped on and kinked during the floor replacement) on Monday.

Installing these appliances is more challenging than I expected, partly because nothing in the trailer seems to be square. Even determining what is level is tough, as the counter does not sit level, the front is not square to the floor, the floor itself has a little ridge where the seam is, etc. I have the trailer leveled, so I guess I'll just do my best and shim the fridge to match.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fridgein.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	11310  
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2005, 10:27 PM   #205

1968 17' Caravel
Ok, I finally finished the heater install, though the interior panels still need to be made, and the frame still needs to be stained. At this point I'm trying to get it all functioning in time for our weeklong vacation in May, so staining will be a project for later in the summer. But everything is screwed down tight and wired up. I can't test it all until I have a new propane line installed as the old one won't reach. I meant to do it this week, but the intall took longer than expected.

I also finished the exterior heater vent with an aluminum patch leftover from Vintage Thunder (thanks guys!). I used lots of Olympic rivets, and lots of vulkem.

I also installed the thermostat for the heater. After much debate, we chose to hang it on the end of the upper cabinets, by the door. It was easy to get the wires there, and it's not going to get in the way of anything else, or get bumped by accident.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	htrhole3.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	11501  
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2005, 10:42 PM   #206
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
New furnace

Looks good !
Old 04-14-2005, 06:57 AM   #207
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
You are truly amazing! Keep up the good work! You are an inspiration for the rest of us!

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:22 PM   #208
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Steph, I'm very interested to see what you do with fitting your new fridge in. I ideally would like to resurrect my original Dolmetic but in the event it doesn't work I might be in the same situation you're in. How do you plan to fill in your spaces? A small drawer? I'm no carpenter - can't imagine trying to attempt that...that furnace and patch look great! Keep up the good work. You truely are an inspiration to all of us.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:14 AM   #209

1968 17' Caravel
Ask and you shall receive...

You wanted framing? I've got framing pictures for you!

I'm still trying to get things squared away for the rally. Of course, there are already people arriving, and I was over hanging out by the campfire with them, and then came home and frantically tried to finish framing in the fridge. I think I've got it!

The original fridge supported that end of the counter. The drawer above sat right on top of it, and the end panel actually screwed into the side of the firdge.

The new fridge is much smaller, so I positioned it where I wanted, with a little lift underneith to get it to a nice height. I didn't bother with building a new drawer or anything, I'm not needing more storage, and building a drawer sounded hard. I just cut pieces of wood to fit, and glued them to the existing cabinet on one side. On the other side I screwed a piece down into the floor, screwed the upright piece into it and glued it to the underside of the shelf. So now that piece supports the end of the cabinet securely. Then I cut cross pieces and fit those in. Everything is very snug. I glued and clamped it all together.

Once it's dry I just need to cut 1/4" panels to cover the holes, stain everything, and hopefully it will all look like it was meant to be.

I was at a loss for what to put in the fridge door for a decorative panel. Seems like everyone stains a matching piece of wood, or puts in the same material as the countertop or table so they match. I decided to put a piece of leftover upholstery fabric. I covered it with a piece of plexi, so I can pop it out and change it easy. My hubby says I'm committing a major fashion fo-paw but I like it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	frgframe.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	11535  

Old 04-15-2005, 08:15 AM   #210
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Refridgerator

I just installed a Dometic RM2820 in my unit and now have too get the hail damage repaired before Home Comming.
It sure is nice to be able to switch from elec too gas with a push of a button and not have to go too the grocery store every other day.
If anyone needs a RM 66 with all original paper work, drop me a line. It works but you need to light the pilot from the back as the stricker is gone.
Anyone going too Home Comming?

Don