Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2005, 02:45 PM   #201
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
I wonder of that wheel well liner is really necessary?
If you remove it you'll expose the fiberglass insulation. You could remove that too, and replace with rigid foam but it wouldn't give you much extra space.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 04:37 PM   #202

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I did cut away some of the plastic wheelwell cover, and the metal liner is immediately underneith it. It gave me a little more space, but not enough to get things lined up the way I wanted.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:32 PM   #203

1968 17' Caravel
Just a quick update. I haven't touched the trailer since my last post, because other commitments have gotten in the way. So today I got out and started reassembling the interior, ignoring for now the gaping holes where the heater, fridge and stove go. I am putting the gaucho back in, the curtains, and the table, basically everything needed to call it complete, and will worry about the appliances as soon as I can. All this in the hopes I can actually stay in it weekend after next at the BG Lake forum rally.

Old 04-06-2005, 07:45 PM   #204

1968 17' Caravel
I spent the afternoon test fitting appliances and cutting holes in my trailer!

I determined the best spot for the furnace, and laid out the marks for the exhaust, then pulled out the dremel. In no time I had a nice rectangular hole through the wall. It ended up directly above the old circular exhaust hole. I have a piece of aluminum to patch it with (just came today - thanks, Brett & Rich). I think it will look pretty good with the cover on.

I also test fitted the fridge, trying to determine how it will fit. Right now it is sitting on a temporary shelf just for fitting. It is a bit shorter, mostly because all the controls are on the back instead of underneith, which boosted the old fridge up several inches. It is also a little bit narrower.

I'm going to dedicate the evening to getting these roughed in, as I have an appointment to have new propane lines fitted for these two appliances (the old heater line won't reach, and the fridge line got stepped on and kinked during the floor replacement) on Monday.

Installing these appliances is more challenging than I expected, partly because nothing in the trailer seems to be square. Even determining what is level is tough, as the counter does not sit level, the front is not square to the floor, the floor itself has a little ridge where the seam is, etc. I have the trailer leveled, so I guess I'll just do my best and shim the fridge to match.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fridgein.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	11310  
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2005, 09:27 PM   #205

1968 17' Caravel
Ok, I finally finished the heater install, though the interior panels still need to be made, and the frame still needs to be stained. At this point I'm trying to get it all functioning in time for our weeklong vacation in May, so staining will be a project for later in the summer. But everything is screwed down tight and wired up. I can't test it all until I have a new propane line installed as the old one won't reach. I meant to do it this week, but the intall took longer than expected.

I also finished the exterior heater vent with an aluminum patch leftover from Vintage Thunder (thanks guys!). I used lots of Olympic rivets, and lots of vulkem.

I also installed the thermostat for the heater. After much debate, we chose to hang it on the end of the upper cabinets, by the door. It was easy to get the wires there, and it's not going to get in the way of anything else, or get bumped by accident.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	htrhole3.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	11501  
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2005, 09:42 PM   #206
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
New furnace

Looks good !
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 05:57 AM   #207
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
You are truly amazing! Keep up the good work! You are an inspiration for the rest of us!

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:22 PM   #208
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Steph, I'm very interested to see what you do with fitting your new fridge in. I ideally would like to resurrect my original Dolmetic but in the event it doesn't work I might be in the same situation you're in. How do you plan to fill in your spaces? A small drawer? I'm no carpenter - can't imagine trying to attempt that...that furnace and patch look great! Keep up the good work. You truely are an inspiration to all of us.
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 01:14 AM   #209

1968 17' Caravel
Ask and you shall receive...

You wanted framing? I've got framing pictures for you!

I'm still trying to get things squared away for the rally. Of course, there are already people arriving, and I was over hanging out by the campfire with them, and then came home and frantically tried to finish framing in the fridge. I think I've got it!

The original fridge supported that end of the counter. The drawer above sat right on top of it, and the end panel actually screwed into the side of the firdge.

The new fridge is much smaller, so I positioned it where I wanted, with a little lift underneith to get it to a nice height. I didn't bother with building a new drawer or anything, I'm not needing more storage, and building a drawer sounded hard. I just cut pieces of wood to fit, and glued them to the existing cabinet on one side. On the other side I screwed a piece down into the floor, screwed the upright piece into it and glued it to the underside of the shelf. So now that piece supports the end of the cabinet securely. Then I cut cross pieces and fit those in. Everything is very snug. I glued and clamped it all together.

Once it's dry I just need to cut 1/4" panels to cover the holes, stain everything, and hopefully it will all look like it was meant to be.

I was at a loss for what to put in the fridge door for a decorative panel. Seems like everyone stains a matching piece of wood, or puts in the same material as the countertop or table so they match. I decided to put a piece of leftover upholstery fabric. I covered it with a piece of plexi, so I can pop it out and change it easy. My hubby says I'm committing a major fashion fo-paw but I like it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	frgframe.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	11535  

Old 04-15-2005, 07:15 AM   #210
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Refridgerator

I just installed a Dometic RM2820 in my unit and now have too get the hail damage repaired before Home Comming.
It sure is nice to be able to switch from elec too gas with a push of a button and not have to go too the grocery store every other day.
If anyone needs a RM 66 with all original paper work, drop me a line. It works but you need to light the pilot from the back as the stricker is gone.
Anyone going too Home Comming?

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:30 AM   #211
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
I'm afraid this is going to be expensive.../Homecoming

Greetings Don!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyusmc
I just installed a Dometic RM2820 in my unit and now have too get the hail damage repaired before Home Comming.
It sure is nice to be able to switch from elec too gas with a push of a button and not have to go too the grocery store every other day.
If anyone needs a RM 66 with all original paper work, drop me a line. It works but you need to light the pilot from the back as the stricker is gone.
Anyone going too Home Comming?

Don
I am planning to be at Homecoming this year with the Cadillac/Minuet combination, and if all works out as hoped, I will be attending the WBCCI Region 4 Rally that takes place the week before (May 23 - 29) just a bit North of Jackson Center (Sandusky County Fairgrounds, Fremont, OH).

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 09:11 AM   #212
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Steph,

I have one question from your pics:

I notice that the old flooring is cut at the center of the floor now. While that old stuff does have a vintage flavor, how are you going to accomodate it being cut up the middle? Do you intend to refloor? Do you intend to install some kind of threshold and floor the new underflooring differently?

Just curious!

Mary (getting ready to tear up my own one)
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 10:26 AM   #213

1968 17' Caravel
I'm putting in carpet. I couldn't get the remaining old vinyl to come up, or I would have got rid of it. Because I can't get it out, and the floor is at two slightly differently levels, I can't put vinyl back in, or pergo without leveling it. Since I'm looking for cheap and simple solutions so we can get camping as soon as possible, I'm going with carpet. I think it will be nicer too, no more stepping on little rocks and pine needles barfoot on the vinyl when I get out of bed, and when the carpet is shot or I want a new color in there, I just yank it out and put in new.

Old 04-15-2005, 12:17 PM   #214
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Just a thought...

Stephanie,

You might want to check out some of the inexpensive indoor/outdoor carpeting available in stock at Home Depot and Lowes (other place too of course). I work at home and needed a cheap solution for my home office floor that would be OK for now (I am working for the time being in a room that will not be my permanent office). I found some carpet at Home Depot a few years back that cost something like 50 cents per square foot. While it is not particularly elegant it is completely water proof. It is basically flat carpet and often is installed by glueing it down. I installed mine using double backed carpet tape around the edges so it is basically a floating floor that will be easy to take up when I decide to replace it with something else. Staples would probably work fine too. There is no evidence of it coming loose anywhere even though it is just fastened down at the edges. The part where I roll around on it all the time with my office chair is showing signs of wear (mostly that it is flatened down) but the rest is in suprisingly good shape considering how inexpensive it was to begin with.

Many years ago I installed something similar in a small room in our basement. That carpet I did glue down. One year the basement flooded when we had some really bad rain storms. Once the carpet was dry it showed no signs of any damage from the water. That seems like a good thing for an AS. Just look for a type that has a solid body rather than a weave to it and it will keep any water you track in from getting through to your floor at all.

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 02:07 PM   #215
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Wierd. I've had luck removing flooring by warming the adhesive with a heat gun, but then again, I'm only dealing with little tiles.

I have wall to wall carpet, too, which eventually we'll get rid of (in favor of marmoleum). Right now it's nice because it is not attached with nail strips (something to keep in mind). When I want to remove it (or get rid of dirt), it's fairly easy to lift up and remove.

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:30 PM   #216

1968 17' Caravel
Well, this is pretty-near the last post for this thread. I did throw the furniture back in and get everything bolted down in time for the Battle Ground Lake Rally. I only had the heater and fridge roughed in, and nothing worked because the old propane lines didn't reach, the floors were bare plywood, but the water and electric worked, and it was good enough to tow over there and sleep in (in a warm sleeping bag) for the weekend. The day after the rally, I took it to Ridgefield and left it with Darol for the finishing touches.

He got it done late last week. He installed new propane lines and got all the appliances tested. He re-framed the fridge and built a small drawer underneith it for me (that was a surprise). He also installed new carpet, and fixed a small leak at the toilet gasket (I certainly didn't want to deal with that!).

So now the trailer is complete, and everything works. It is ready for it's first big trip of the season in about two weeks. The only thing left to do is to stain the new panels around the fridge and furnace. I will wait on that until later in the summer when I can work with the door and windows open.

Here are the pictures. Quite an improvement from when I started the project last November! The trailer looks great, the appliances are modern and functional, and it smells so much better in there with all the rotten wood gone. I am very happy with how it turned out, and can't wait to get out on the road again!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fini1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	11762   Click image for larger version

Name:	fini2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	11763  

Old 04-25-2005, 04:38 PM   #217
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
It looks great! Congratulations on your accomplishment(s)!

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:01 PM   #218
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Love the carpet! So... now what are you going to do with all your spare time (no more all night repair sessions)?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:42 PM   #219
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
This calls for a forum-wide toast for successful completion of your project and the launch of new adventures. Everyone, ready now--raise your beverage of choice high. . .congratulations, Stephanie!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 09:20 PM   #220
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Post Congrats, Steph!

Wow! What an accomplishment! You are truely an inspiration to us all...thanks also for your roughing in the fridge pictures. It'll come in handy if and when mine gets replaced...I like your floral front too! Have to admit, it's going to be a bit boring without this thread to keep us all on the edge of our seats...sure you don't want to rip out that bathroom? C'mon, it's FUN!
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote