Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 1966-68 Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2012, 04:29 AM   #1
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
Creative Caravel?

We have been working on design planning for the interior of our '67 Caravel. The inside plan will be kept as is to about 80%. This will be a shell off project so that we can "clean", update any wiring, add a gray tank and replace insulation.

This will be a remodel not a restoration. (We've worked on our sons '68 Tradewind, shell off). Bathroom to remain as is, appliances are all good and the sofas will be replaced and slightly modified to add a kitchen expansion opposite the stove.

In going through the design process and getting "creative" we hope to maximize our comfort in traveling and be as self sufficient as possible to allow us to boondock for several days.

My questions?
1. Very small refrigerator, thinking about adding a freezer drawer. Anyone find they need more refrig or freezer space than the existing will hold?
2. With appliances and electronics having become more compact, are there items that we should consider adding?
3. We don't have A/C or a fantastic fan. I don't like the big a/c units on the roof, what are some options?
4. Starting to work on efficient storage ideas and planning where things will go. We're thinking we'll each have a closet at the bathroom, so the food storage will have to be in the kitchen area, hence the need for storage opposite the sink/stove wall.
5. The exterior is in great shape, so we'll clean, take off the old antennae and add awnings all around (that really helps with keeping the space cool inside in the summer heat).

Am I forgetting anything? Any products that are must haves?

New England Unit....in Fun, Fellowship and Adventure.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Hi Pam - I don't have detailed answers for your questions, but as soon as I saw the title of the thread, I wanted to show you this link. One of the more creative (and expensive) Caravels out there. Maybe it will give you some ideas if you go wild with the renovation.

Some folks have used home air conditioners. They can reside under the gaucho and then push out of a door on the side of the trailer when in use. I'd worry that doing that would consume a chunk of your storage space. That said, 60s Caravels have a surprising amount of storage for their size.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:46 AM   #3
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Things to include...

Interior of the Caravel, will be remodeled so here's what I think we need;

1. Keep the kitchen the way as is for layout. New finishes.
2. Add countertop/desk area (small) across from stove.
3. Make the sofa area a sectional of equidistant legs to accommodate two people stretching out and one part will pull out to make a bed.
4. Portable AC Unit (still searching and researching as I don't want a unit on the roof).
5. Max out storage with pullouts.
6. Bathroom layout as is.
7. Tall Closets to be two wardrobes.
8. Wire for tv, power at various locations, electronics recharging station, speakers and lighting. Add Fantastic Fan.

Did I forget anything? I think the refrigerator or freezer drawer addition won't fit. :-(

Old 07-29-2012, 06:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Re:the sofa: we put an ikea sleeper sectional in our excella. It is very comfortable end offer a surprisingly good amount if storage, plus it seats twice as many as the old gaucho. We posted pics in an "L-shaped couch" thread. Just thought I'd mention it since you are considering something like that.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Where are you at in your plans now?
My husband and I are still trying to start after 2 years. I finally got out of him that he wants to change the floor plan. He wants a dedicated bed in aft. He wants a tiny wet bath on side or not at all.
I like the caravel design and do not like a wet bath on side taking away that open feel.
http://www.timelesstraveltrailers.co...vel/10_lrg.jpg

I don't want to limit ourselves to campgrounds with bathroom/showers.
Discouraged, thinking we are never going to get anywhere!
jerbear315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
The trailer has been moved into a different position, which is a promising sign. The work hasn't started yet, but I am hopeful. The plan we have agreed on, is basically keeping the original plan, with layout modifications to allow for a new sectional in the front that will allow for us to both stretch out to read, watch tv or have a visitor. A portion of the sofa in in the front will open to allow for a 54"w bed. This should allow a short space at the end of the sectional for a small cabinet and countertop across from the stove, where we may be able to have a tv and desk top. The closets would be redesigned inside to max out the storage. Those are the basics. The cabinetry, kitchen and bathroom will remain basically the same.

Of course will be a shell off so that we can insulate,rewire and add new tanks.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Hi Pam and Chuck,

A few years ago, i toured Ray Bratton's bambi?. He had installed a rolling a/c in a little used corner and vented it out of a hole in the back that was no longer used. He said it worked great. Also i believe that Doug Reid did a similar thing. Just a thought... it kept the AC off the roof but in an out of the way position but useable at any time. Good luck on your project - sounds fun! Hope to see you soon, Kathy, Tex and Wags
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Sounds like it's in line for a renovator to do it and you aren't DIY-ing. We can't afford that. She did spend a year in a shop getting new axle and capping some propane lines.
Anxious to see pictures.
Jerri
jerbear315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Chuck & Pam

I have a 66TW that I removed the original Armstrong A/C unit from because it was loud, had a vibration problem, used way to much power and was really ugly. It really ruined the beautiful lines of the trailer.

I use a small 5k btu unit that I install in the side window (when I need it). It cools the TW fine, is very quiet and I can operate it with my 1k Honda Genny. When I don't need it, like from now on, it will sit on the floor of a closet. It only takes about 10 minutes to install. This works great for me.

Along with the TW, I think the Caravel is one of the best floor plans that Airstream ever designed. I would love to have one, in addition to my TW. I would install the A/C unit (when needed) in the rear bathroom window.

I am using my A/C unit now since I am installing a new cork floor in the TW.
When I am finished, I plan on making a video to show how easy it is to remove and install the A/C in the side window.

Post #15 and 17 of the following link show my A/C unit installation in my TW:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...y-91215-2.html

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Hi Pam - I don't have detailed answers for your questions, but as soon as I saw the title of the thread, I wanted to show you this link. One of the more creative (and expensive) Caravels out there. Maybe it will give you some ideas if you go wild with the renovation.

Some folks have used home air conditioners. They can reside under the gaucho and then push out of a door on the side of the trailer when in use. I'd worry that doing that would consume a chunk of your storage space. That said, 60s Caravels have a surprising amount of storage for their size.

Tom
Tom

Thanks for the link to this unique Caravel. Beautiful and creative restoration of a Caravel, but the A/C unit on top just looks hideous.

Dan
Old 09-07-2012, 06:21 AM   #11
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Yes, it will be a DIY. Husband and Son have a shell off project that is about 80% completed on a '68 Tradewind. The Caravel should be alot easier.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:23 AM   #12
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Tom

Thanks for the link to this unique Caravel. Beautiful and creative restoration of a Caravel, but the A/C unit on top just looks hideous.

Dan

Thanks for the link. I actually own a design firm in the Boston and area and plan on some great finishes. We do travel alot and it does need to be very functional for our lifes styles so the "form follows function" will apply.

I agree, no ac on the roof. I have decided on a small portable that we can vent outside through the bathroom window set up.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:26 AM   #13
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Chuck & Pam

I have a 66TW that I removed the original Armstrong A/C unit from because it was loud, had a vibration problem, used way to much power and was really ugly. It really ruined the beautiful lines of the trailer.

I use a small 5k btu unit that I install in the side window (when I need it). It cools the TW fine, is very quiet and I can operate it with my 1k Honda Genny. When I don't need it, like from now on, it will sit on the floor of a closet. It only takes about 10 minutes to install. This works great for me.

Along with the TW, I think the Caravel is one of the best floor plans that Airstream ever designed. I would love to have one, in addition to my TW. I would install the A/C unit (when needed) in the rear bathroom window.

I am using my A/C unit now since I am installing a new cork floor in the TW.
When I am finished, I plan on making a video to show how easy it is to remove and install the A/C in the side window.

Post #15 and 17 of the following link show my A/C unit installation in my TW:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...y-91215-2.html

Dan

Thanks Dan. Great idea. I have been researching small portable units. I have one in my office that is terrific and very small that we will go with. I am keeping my eyes open for the smallest footprint possible.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:31 AM   #14
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Discouraged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear315 View Post
Where are you at in your plans now?
My husband and I are still trying to start after 2 years. I finally got out of him that he wants to change the floor plan. He wants a dedicated bed in aft. He wants a tiny wet bath on side or not at all.
I like the caravel design and do not like a wet bath on side taking away that open feel.
http://www.timelesstraveltrailers.co...vel/10_lrg.jpg

I don't want to limit ourselves to campgrounds with bathroom/showers.
Discouraged, thinking we are never going to get anywhere!

Don't be discouraged! I found my Caravel driving along some back roads about 4 years ago and it's been sitting in the yard ever since! I know it will get done eventually and I am pushing for this to be the year. Actually I am hoping for the shell off some time this month. If it doesn't happen, we'll lose the whole winter here in New England and have to wait for Spring, which will mean another whole year! We do have a 35' Airstream Cutter motorhome, but we are trying to downsize. We can still take that one out and sell it later.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
Thanks Dan. Great idea. I have been researching small portable units. I have one in my office that is terrific and very small that we will go with. I am keeping my eyes open for the smallest footprint possible.
Chuck & Pam

Here are the key specs on the 5k Frigidaire A/C unit I am using: 465 watts, 53dB on low fan, 16" x 12", 39 lbs. It also has a plastic bottom which makes it easy to put a slot in for locating and resting on the lower window frame. It also has electronic controls and can be operated by a remote control (if you can remember where you put it). I don't use mine. If anybody has found a better A/C unit, please tell me about it. Always looking to improve on a smaller footprint.

Glad you are going to put your A/C unit in the bathroom window. If your bathroom window is the same size as mine (20 x 39), then you will only be using 25% of your window area for the A/C unit. You will still have 588 sq in of window left for letting in light. This is probably still way more area than most rv windows.

Dan

Tags
caravel