Old 04-18-2017, 08:02 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Capistrano Beach , California
Close to purchasing 66 Caravel

Hello,
I'm new to this forum and quite honestly in the process of purchasing a 66 Caravel... first trailer ever. I was wondering if anyone could provide advice or could make me aware of things that I need to look for specific to this model and year (good & bad). Any information is appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time... :-)

Mr Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
Soft or rotted floor is a problem with most older Airstreams.

Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Welcome Mr Magoo, Have the owner hook up the trailer and show you how everything works, ie heater, water, stove, etc. etc. As stated above look for signs of leaks and rotted floors. Check tires for dry rot. Check Onecraigs, E-bay, and the net for price comparisons. Hopefully this works out and your making camping reservations soon Are the swallows in yet?
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
As above, make sure everything works. The heater, if original, may not be safe to use. In any case, get a CO detector.
Axles do get old and brittle. The original axles were a little prone to breaking the spindle and should be replaced.
Some of the toilets were mounted directly on the black tank which will break the tank and tear the bathroom fiberglass.
Do the drain valves work for the water system? Copper piping been replaced with PEX?
How recently was the trailer taken out and used?
Look at the plastic pieces like the refrigerator scoop, the refrigerator vent cover (on the roof). These are ABS plastic and they crack.
The list goes on... Careful inspection is a must. Get used to the idea you will have to fix something.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
condition?

You have not mentioned if this Caravel is in "original" condition or if it has had some work done by a previous owner and is well maintained.
If this is an all-original trailer, I suggest you go to the Forums and find some threads about a restoration and/or remodel for an early to mid 60's trailer. It will give you an idea of the enormous amount of work required to make it a fully functional trailer.
I knew I had a lot on my plate when we bought our '66 Globetrotter, having done a lot on our '74, but it surprised me how much more needed to be fixed.
Good luck, if you do buy the Caravel, you might consider finding a mentor in the area and look for Vintage rallies and workshops.
Laird
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the forums!

Download the buyer's inspection checklist from the link below. If you go through it completely, you should find just about every problem that can be identified without disassembly:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ist-43294.html

As far as common problems, it mostly depends on how and where the trailer has been stored for the last 50 years. A trailer in a barn in southern California might be pristine, but a trailer of the same year stored outdoors in knee-high grass on the Florida panhandle will be ready for a frame replacement. The only way to know what to look for is to look for everything. Also, manage your expectations, afterall, if you were buying a car that had been parked in someone's backyard for the last 20 years, you wouldn't expect to immediately take it on a road trip--same principle, only worse, since these trailers all have wood floors.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:23 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
Just in case you aren't aware: on May 20th there is a Vintage Trailer rally in Pismo Beach. There will be all types of vintage trailers there, including many airstreams. It's a great way to learn about older airstreams (and others). There are a lot of people to talk to about various aspects of caring for an older trailer. If you go, plan to get there early: parking is a bear.

Held at Pismo Coast Village RV Resort. An open house for visitors is from 10 am to 3 pm. ... Date. May 20 2017
riowerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:53 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
I am nearing completion of the renovation/restoration of my '67 Caravel. So, if you have specific concerns ask away and I may be able to help. Axles and floors are the two biggies as mentioned before.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:46 AM   #9
Camano Islander

2007 19' Bambi
1965 17' Caravel
Iowa City , Iowa
I had my 1966 Caravel for 20 years and I loved it, BUT, it's like a boat, every season when you take it on the road there will be some "little" thing that needs repair. I replaced the Axle and the floor, I had to add AC, then it was the refer and then the toilet and the cabinet locks, the bed was so old it hurt my back so I replaced it and the grey and black tanks.......

Over the years I could have bought a much newer trailer, of course I was in love with my old 66 but once the arthritis kicked in I sold it and bought a 2007.

The good news was that will all the work I had done on my Caravel I got a good price for it!

Good luck,

MS
CamanoIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:13 AM   #10

Currently Looking...
Capistrano Beach , California
Thank you!

First, I want to thank everyone for the thoughtful responses. Second, well, I'm still looking for a Caravel or Pacer.

If anyone knows of any that are fairly priced or has suggestions with regard to locating one it again would be appreciated. ANY tips are welcome...

Thanks!
~C

Mr Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel