Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2019, 03:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
Caravel shower question

Hate to ask such a dumb question - but what is the function of the "ring" attached to the shower wall adjacent to the shower wand? thanks y'all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1nJVB7p5QH2zR311g9aOSw.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	354246  
pcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:20 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
PINE PLAINS , New York
Good morning. The ring is there to help control the shower hose and keep it from flopping around and scratching the sink when showering. Unscrew the shower head and thread it through the ring and then reattach the shower head.

Having said that, I am thinking of using this ring as a dual purpose to hang a hand towel...
lakemaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:40 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
Yep! that's what I thought - but who knows - those Airstream engineers were pretty clever!

How's your trailer coming along?
Old 10-16-2019, 07:32 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
PINE PLAINS , New York
Well, it's been a busy summer and fall - in addition to the new water filter, water valves, new battery and cables, new tires, and a new axle, I have replaced the cushions and curtains ["so calming"], re-purposed an old aluminum form box into a utensil holder [love], installed two new "old stock" Scott paper towel dispensers [so handy!], restored all the original cabinetry, and sorted out a work space, which includes an ottoman that doubles as a bedside table and seating. I've tried to attach some photos, but it would be nice to know how to create a file with a link, so that I can document all the little details that really have made Flo[w] a home! Let me know if you can open them. Hollie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04360.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	354338   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04382.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	354339  

Name:	Flo - Exterior undergoing stripping 20190929_150420_resized_1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	354340   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04395 (2).jpg
Views:	112
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	354341  

Old 10-16-2019, 07:43 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
PINE PLAINS , New York
Oh - how could I forget - I also stripped the exterior and sanded and lightly buffed her exterior to a beautiful satin finish...and then Walbernized her...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Flo - Utensil Holder 20190930_091024_resized.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	354344   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04242.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	354345  

Name:	Flo - Teak shower mat and door 20191010_170430_resized_1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	354346  
Old 10-16-2019, 10:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Lookin' Good!
Old 10-18-2019, 04:17 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
PINE PLAINS , New York
Thansk, Argonaut...that means a lot coming from you. I've read the posts you wrote about completely restoring a '66 Caravel. Your knowledge about these trailers is exceptional. Did you ever post completed images of the '66 when it was all done? Did you and your wife ever camp in it? I see from your details that you are looking...for another restoration project???

I unfortunately lack the skills to do a shell off. But I am planning to take Flo[w] back up to Plattsburgh so that Colin Hyde and his crew can pick up where I fall short. I wondered how you winterize your Caravel? And especially, is there a bypass valve to the old hot water heater? Thanks for any tips you might have, and what model compressor you recommend. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2019, 08:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Love what you have done in the shower! Is that a teak "bath mat"? Or is it built in to the shower floor? And repeating the teak on the door under the lav is really a nice touch. And in fact, I love what you have done with the whole thing! I am waiting to get my 67 Caravel from the guy fixing it up, then I can start with the decorating: the fun part.

Good luck with your Caravel, hope you enjoy it.

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakemaiden View Post
Oh - how could I forget - I also stripped the exterior and sanded and lightly buffed her exterior to a beautiful satin finish...and then Walbernized her...
I've been hoping to find a teak floor insert for our 68 Caravel. Did you purchase yours from a vendor?
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:47 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
PINE PLAINS , New York
Teak Shower Mat

Good morning Vivian and Silverwind. Thank you both for your kind comments. The shower mat is "new growth" teak [i.e., sustainable and lighter in color than older teak], as is the new sink cabinet door. The reason I did it is I wanted to create a finished look that carried the warmth of the cabinets that I restored right through the bath area, as I love having that back window open. I've attached a photo that may illustrate the sweep.

The cabinet door is actually slats of teak glued together with kerfs to create the illusion that it is separate slats like the mat. I used the original hardware and with a small gasket, fits quite snug.

The hardest part is sourcing affordable teak [kachink!] and making the template for the mat exact. We decided to run the slats horizontally [from left to right] to create the illusion of width. It also helps the flow of water into the drain, as do the 12 or so white rubber bumpers on the bottom of the piece. These also help keep the mat from jostling about and from scratching the shower pan while in transit.

Vivian, as you begin to think about designing your interior, let me know if you would like to kick some ideas around. I did a lot of research on designs from the 1960's as my aim was to design an interior that was in keeping with the era of the trailer. I sourced durable/washable fabrics (some from Sunbrella), all with the goal of keeping the palette calm and feet up kind of relaxing. I also have spent HOURS trying to source how best to set up the kitchen while trying to keep the 1960's vibe - I love to cook so the kitchen needs to function but also have room for some of my treasured "must haves" - like, who can trailer without a zester?

This is still a work in progress, and over the winter, I plan to build and install a butcher block countertop - my research shows that they first appeared in kitchens starting in the mid-to-late 1960's. I also am working on a slide out drawer for my printer and office supplies that will pull out from the dead space between the two gauchos...who thought it was a good thing to waste all that prime storage space! hahaha.

More Flo[w] updates to follow! Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Flo - Kitchen 20191015_155835.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	355070  
Old 10-27-2019, 07:03 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
PINE PLAINS , New York
With apologies, but I cannot figure out how to straighten up the photo - it is straight up on my monitor. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Flo - Kitchen 20191015_155835 rotated 2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	355083  
Old 11-05-2019, 10:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Spice Jars?

In the rack on the bulkhead next to the stove, are those Hoosier spice jars? And do they stay in that rack when jiggling down the road? They are perfect for the look you are going for, I think, if they will behave going down the road.

It sounds like we are on the same wavelength: I also want to keep the 60s thing going. Is the gaucho across the end of the trailer with the blanket/sheet on it the designated bed? Is it long enough for you to stretch out? My 67 is still being rehabbed in CA, so I haven't seen it and have no real feel for the size of things inside.

What is the basis for your utensil holder? or did you make it from scratch? It looks perfect for a reduced number of items for trailering. I also love to cook and am trying to figure out exactly what I can carry and what will have to stay at home, and that holder looks perfect to carry some larger and awkwardly-sized utensils!
Old 11-06-2019, 04:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakemaiden View Post
With apologies, but I cannot figure out how to straighten up the photo - it is straight up on my monitor. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
If you crop them slightly they with be right side up.
Love the Caravel
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Sort of a late reply, Lake Maiden, but here goes...

I don't believe I posted photos of 'Button' when finished. We have taken her to Albuquerque a few times and up to Durango, CO when we wanted to ride the narrow gauge train to Silverton. Everything worked as planned (surprise!).

Winterizing is not a big deal here in the desert. I generally drain everything out then blow the lines with air until water stops coming out. With all the lines run with pex the risk of breakage from freezing is much less. I didn't put a cutoff for the water heater in the system. Thus far, not a problem, but the winters have been mild. It takes a while to get the water out of the tank when winterizing. I use a compressor in my shop for airing out the plumbing.

As for the 'Currently looking...', the forums seemed to think I should have that (read that as I couldn't get rid of it). I have another project going that will take a while to finish - a '69 muscle car.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Button photos: (I have since changed the dinette table mount to a Lagun type. No leg under the front.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1202.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	355744   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1198.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	355745  

Old 11-07-2019, 06:37 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
PINE PLAINS , New York
As in "Cute as a 'Button'!" Nice carpentry work, Argonaut! Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:11 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
PINE PLAINS , New York
Spice Rack and Utensil Holder

Cerberus - good eye on those spice jars! They are indeed Hoosier cabinet spice jars. I picked a couple up at a tag sale because I liked the bubbled glass and the aluminum lids, but not really knowing what they were. I then did some research to see if I could find some more of them...and by summer's end, my set was nearly complete - just need one more!

Though I believe these would stay in the spice rack during transit, I don't really want to take a chance because of their vintage quality. I have pieces of bubble wrap that I use to wrap them up, and I stow them in the sink - which I have lined with a white utility tray that once held the work papers I needed to shred! A perfectly fitted re-use [see photo]. It only takes a couple of minutes and they have been all over upstate NY without issue -- this summer they will make the trek to Loveland CO.

The utensil holder is an old aluminum form holder from the 50's. I got it at a tag sale for $1.75 [half price!] It fits tight to the flat part of the wall and holds just about what you need. I affixed it to the wall with small metal screws... it keeps the utensils away from that back burner and leaves that bit of precious counter-space free during cook sessions...very handy...exactly what you need, right where you need it. I've attached some close-ups.

I am working on a source to make one just slightly wider (by 1 1/2") to ease up the space between the utensils - but as it is, it is very functional because the utensils stay put during transit due to the ample height of the holder. If you are interested in getting one of these, send me a private message, and I can update you on my efforts to make some additional ones.

Dingo Girl - thanks for the photo tip...works like a charm, as you see!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04374.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	355747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flo - Kitchen 20191015_155835 - rotated (2).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	355748  

Name:	DSC04336 (2).jpg
Views:	73
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	355751   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04235.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	355752  

Old 11-07-2019, 08:37 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
PINE PLAINS , New York
Front Daybed

Cerberus - I forgot to respond to your question regarding the front gaucho. I replaced the cushions, with the help of a great upholsterer. I wanted a set up where I could use the front gaucho mainly as a daybed/sofa - curl up in the corner and read or watch a movie. But I also wanted to use this as my primary sleeping space. So we designed the cushions (firm 6" thick) so that the curved section in the corner is one piece that is as deep as the non-movable section of the wooden gaucho platform. We put a softer, more flexible piece that runs along the back wall of this section - and I added pillows to create a nook.

For the section that has the front that pulls out, we created a back cushion that fits underneath the window. When sitting upright as a back cushion it goes from the top of the wooden platform of the gaucho to just underneath the window frame -- we then created the seat cushion so that it butts up against the back cushion. By doing it this way, I was able to maximize the width of the front gaucho, when pulled out into a bed, using as few sections (and thereby minimizing the gaps). When pulled out fully, the front gaucho is just shy of a double bed in width. And without the support cushion that goes along the curve, there is plenty of headroom for me to sleep there comfortably.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:44 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I like your thinking on the gaucho. We did the two cushion thing there, not quite as wide, and did have one problem: the cushions seem to separate when used as a bed. I'm working on a solution.

One other thing I did that will likely earn me hate mail from originalists: I put shelves in the closets. Handy for clothes and towels and other essentials and you can access stuff while standing up. I had to 'fence off' the soil stacks so little items didn't wind up on the floor.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Teak shower floor?

Now that you have had a summer to camp, I am wondering if the teak floor retained enough moisture in the shower pan to encourage mold/mildew underneath? It probably wouldn't be a problem in my desert West, but how about in your humid East Coast camping? I plan to travel in the humid Midwest and East Coast areas and I am well aware of moisture problems in those areas, so would like to be forewarned.

And thank you for offering design help to keep the 60s vibe, I will consult you when I actually get my trailer at home. Right now, it is in SoCal being worked on; I haven't even seen it yet, don't know colors of formica, condition of wood cabinetry, etc, so I am trying to possess my soul in patience and read up on this forum.

I love what you have done with yours, and plan on similar use of the front gaucho, which should be easier for me as I am a solo Airstreamer. Please continue to update on your resto.

Thank you!

Tags
caravel